ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Undersealing

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Morning all,

With winter around the corner it's got me thinking about keeping my newly purchased rust-free valver, erm, rust-free! It will unfortuantely have to be my daily over the winter months, and I'm quite concerned about the salt after reading a few internet horror stories.

So, undersealing. I've never had to do it before (despite previously owning fords, lol), and don't really know what it entails.
What kind of prep should I be doing?

What are the best products to use?
Is it best to brush it on or spray it?
What exactly should I be covering?
Etc, etc.

If anyone has any previous experience/tips, it'd be must appreciated!

Thanks,
Luke.

How far do you want to go?

For a proper job I'd go back to bare metal, take all the seam sealant off kill any rust etc.

Use the Bilt Hamber range, seal seams with a sealant or tiger seal then finish off with a nice rubbery stonechip. I don't like Waxoyl and personally think it's s**t.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
How far do you want to go?

For a proper job I'd go back to bare metal, take all the seam sealant off kill any rust etc.

Use the Bilt Hamber range, seal seams with a sealant or tiger seal then finish off with a nice rubbery stonechip. I don't like Waxoyl and personally think it's s**t.

I would avoid any 'old skool' products from Halfords and have a look through Bilt Hamber's website - http://www.bilthamber.com

I just don't want to end up falling through the floor driving along one day, lol.

I'll take a look at the Bilt Hamber range, cheers guys.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Listen to Gaz mate, don't bother with anything except BiltHamber.

Deox Gel kills rust, can't remember what hydrate does. Then you want some electrox zinc primer on, 2 coats for good measure. Dynax, there's a spray for box sections that is s**t hot, S50 IIRC. I'll double check when I've finished watching Aussie V8s.

Deox Gel is for when you've really stripped it right back to bare bones and there's rust there. Good for injecting into seams etc.
Hydrate 80 is for metal that's been stripped and rust killed, but obviously won't be bare fresh metal.
Electrox is a heavy duty zinc primer, I'd put that onto bare metal that's had no rust, wouldn't hurt to put it over the Hydrate areas either.
Dynax S50 is the cavity wax, they do long ass lances for getting it in there.

They're the products I'd bought to do the Nissan until I saw how bad it was.

Then, I'd get a nice rubbery underseal, I never found one but a painter I know recommended something called Gravitex the other night. I believe 3M also do a rubbery finish in their Schutz line of products.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Deox Gel is for when you've really stripped it right back to bare bones and there's rust there. Good for injecting into seams etc.
Hydrate 80 is for metal that's been stripped and rust killed, but obviously won't be bare fresh metal.
Electrox is a heavy duty zinc primer, I'd put that onto bare metal that's had no rust, wouldn't hurt to put it over the Hydrate areas either.
Dynax S50 is the cavity wax, they do long ass lances for getting it in there.

They're the products I'd bought to do the Nissan until I saw how bad it was.

Then, I'd get a nice rubbery underseal, I never found one but a painter I know recommended something called Gravitex the other night. I believe 3M also do a rubbery finish in their Schutz line of products.

Thanks Gaz, I'll look into those mate.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah a nice spray rubberised coating, similar to what is on mk2 Clio sills is what you want, that s**t be good. :)