ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uneven rear arch gaps?

Hi guys, got some Eibach Pros put on last week as I snapped a Renault coil, so thought that I ought to do them all. I noticed today that the driver side rear arch gap was tiny in comparison to the other rear gap, as well as the fronts. I could get about 2 fingers in the smaller gap at an angle, but could easily get 4 in all the other arches at an angle also.

Tyre pressures are OK and matched, no visible leaking from dampers, parked flat, handbrake off, empty tank, have driven maybe 100 miles since getting the springs on. Looked at both springs and appear to be sitting correctly, all the rubber pads are there for both sides too.

Got some pictures of the rear springs, at 3 different angles (whoops...)

bcr42UN.jpg

zw0OLo9.jpg

I know the second side by side pic isn't at the exact same angle, but it looks like the bottom most coil on the driver side is much more compressed. Again, I know it's a diff angle that's hiding it, but even with perspective considered, it looks it. I measured the heights of both springs also, left is 16 cm, right is 14 cm. Didn't do it with a vernier, did it with a ruler, even with tolerances considered, 2 cm is still huge and ties up pretty well with the arch gap.

Does anybody have any suggestons? Could it be the rubber pieces aren't sitting correctly, or if the springs just need more time to bed in?

EDIT: Should also mention that in those 100 miles, I've not heard any new sounds, or any rattles, knocks, squeaks etc. actually. Car also handles confidently in left hand and right hand turns.

Thanks

Last edited:
  2005 182 non-cup
Sorry to drag an old one up but did you ever find the solution to this problem as I now have it and have tried swapping everything to no avail, always drivers side over an inch lower!

2005 182 non-cup
Only couple thousand miles. not shocks as swapped them over, swapped springs, too. Raised the rear by 10mm today and the drop/sag just swapped sides, then when I moved the car on the drive to clear up, it swapped back to the drivers side! I really don't get it, underneath you can see on the side that sags that the spring is more compressed but I'm out of ideas so going to get 4 wheel alignment done for tracking anyway so I'll see what they say. Seems others have had this issue and never found a solution so I'm doubtful.

Park the car on level ground and measure from the middle of thge wheel to the arch, that is much more accurate than measuring from the tyre.

Also shocks don't affrect ride height, all they do is damp the springs movement. The springs support the weight of the car.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
I've got this issue on the front - had it ever since I got the car. They're on standard coils/shocks and they're the same having checked the other weekend. Really can't work it out!