ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unichip report

Came back from Owen developments yesterday with Unichip fitted. 10 bhp gained (well to be precise 9.7) and a useful 6.6 lbft of torque nicely flattened the torque curve too. Top end acceleration has improved from 5.5k rpm and max power is at 6431 rpm. Measurements were done at 31 degrees external temp, so not too impressive, but its the before/after difference which counts.

Anyway, this feels like the end of the road now, having done the "soft" mods of zorst/IK/chip and spent just shy of £1k. In retrospect I dont recommend to anybody spending cash on zorst/IK, unless youre doing it for fun/noise like me. Performance gains are nil and youre better off saving that £500 towards a proper mod - when (if ever) they become available!! - or to put down as a deposit on your next - moddable - car.

Oh forgot to mention, also put in the 4 point FIA Sabelt harness yesterday, and Pagids been ordered, so Im ready for a summer of track days.

Voila - summary done.

As far as I know, the external temp shouldnt make a difference because the computer/RR should correct it to a standard.

31 degrees external temp. Was it nice in the desert yesterday?

Mupets and their dynos, they amuse me greatly, barometric pressure to rival the moon, humidty that would drown and temperature that would cook a chicken.

Post up the printout.

320d M Sport

hmm, thing is u say dont get an IK + Zorst but do u think the chip ALONE would have given u 10BHP?

definitely yes.

zorst/IK is only good for noise. On the IK, if you run a simple vacuum test on the standard airbox, you can tell its not restrictive. A cheap panel filter replacement is all thats needed if you really want to try, or just change the OEM filter regularly.

zorst/IK is all show, no go. unless you fit a competition system including decat, etc problem is that will wake up the neighbours within a 2 miles radius and cause ear bleeding... Only reason I did my IK/zorst was I wanted to mess with the car for some fun and theres NOTHING else available as a mod. Im getting annoyed with the whole clio/F4R engine thing.

I will definitely go for a more tunable engine in my next fun car.

The chip would have helped the IK work better.

My brothers IK only started working at its best after he had a unichip fitted.

An exhaust can be silent and make very good power. The more power means more noise myuth is just that a myth.

Lazy people just slap exhausts together, they get lucky and geta louder noise so they just say thats the price to pay.

Where did you vacuum test the standard inlet tract?

yea of course exhausts help, the major way to increase power is to increase breathing in and out and the exhaust is the way out!!

Yup, but the standard one is not restrictive, nor is the standard air filter / box. KN etc. might have better air passage, but they alsom have better particle passage, making for a "dirty" engine if youre unlucky. Truth is, only real heavy mods can guarantee you improved performance, the rest is just show (which can be fun as well).

I know some of you are going to say "but what about the 10 hp gain"? Yes, true, it is somethinhg and the chip certainly did most of it. But hey; £1k for 10bhp? Quite expensive, if you ask me..

-CJ

the F4R IS tunable, very much so, its got potential for more than these 290bhp XEs. BUT, people need ot latch onto it, other cars need ot use the engine and renault need to offer it at a cheaper price.

It it goes into a caterfield then youll see the parts list skyrocket....but up to now, nobody is doing stuff for it becuase the mkt is limited, its a hot hatch, and no matter what you say, more women and boy racers own it than true enthusiasts. How many on here WOULD stump up for TBs?

The 205 gti has all sorts of parts going for it, but you still rarely come across one on the rd with carbs or TBs or anything remotely spectacular.......most people are to pussy and just talk talk talk all day long.

i had my 172 sport unichip last week the car is standard came out with 9bhp and more torque,the guy that did it had less a week before on a modded clio