ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unimpressed by 182, what do you love about it?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Removing the seats is just 4x nuts under the car, 2 behind round rubber grommets and 2 through holes in the heat shield.

The inner ones without grommets I found to be a bit tricky due to corrosion but a bit of plusgas and their off. Lift the seat up and lever out the plastic spacers in the carpet and refit.

RB 182 FF
The great thing with the 182 even though it's old and tinny, is you still get cruise control and speed limiter... The EP3 had nothing at all and it did my nut in after a while... Also the EP3 gearing is a pain in the ass, 1st gear goes about 5yds and 2nd isn't quite 'pully' enough to get off the mark... The constant shifts got on my tits to be honest...

The 182 is a great 2k-3k car, once you hoon around some twisties in a tidy exame you'll 'get it' as others have said... 👍🏻

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
How does it compare to the mk7 ST? As that's my current car that I'm getting rid of next month.

After the 172 Cup I had a Suzuki Ignis Sport and the Clio 200. It wasn't until I bought my Fiesta ST that I felt I had something similar to the Cup. That's probably why I kept the ST for 4 years and did 60k in it. It just felt right...but with more torque.

Direct comparison? Tricky...two years separates me selling the Cup and buying the ST, and I don't think I've even sat in a 172/182 since I sold mine.

That's mad, it's almost 10 years since I drove one! Anyone have a mint standard one of any description they'd be happy to let me make a video in/on?

Next year of course :ROFLMAO:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Good chassis, mentally cheap to work on, best car forum going, huge following, loads of affordable aftermarket parts.

If you want a road car the 182 is very very well specified for a car of that age and is a very nice place to be. Change all that and it can be a very raw track car.

You can make it what you want for peanuts! That's the best bit.

This thread has made me want another one. Now.

Of all my cars I got rid of the 172 Cup is the one I'd buy back tomorrow, not the mk7 Fiesta ST, not the mk3 Focus RS, not the 2009 Clio 200, nope.

Genuinely, if my 172 Cup pulled up outside and the owner got out and asked if I wanted to buy it back, I'd blub like a girl.
I struggled not to blub when my valver went - I did ask the chap who now has it to let me know if he ever wants to get rid of it!

Would definitely have it back again, loads of awesome memories in it and was an amazing drive on full Williams suspension setup :)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You're not expecting it to be an even match for a Mk7 ST Fiesta are you? Cos it ain't.

It's a cheap, old hot hatch. Thats not to say it's a pile of crap, but 15+ years development will show some differences.
Mind you the Sat Nav systems on boths cars are utterly terrible, so they're similar in that respect.

A SHED!
I can’t fathom how someone can drive a 172/182 and not get out of it smiling ear to ear.

Smiles per mile... The best car on the used market.

I reckon because either ....
1. Timing is out
2. Suspension is fucked in someway
3. Driver is used to turbo straight line speed and isn't good at pushing the limits of a car that's a b road blaster. Not saying the op is like this but there are drivers out there like this. Usually don't understand the likes of raw handling based cars integra dc2 s clio rs etc.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
My current cars. I had a cup new in 2002, loved it and years later wanted another and bought this one 3 years ago. Spent a fair bit on it but love it. Power delivery totally different to the fiesta but still puts a smile on my face driving it and the noise it makes. Great old school hot hatch with no frills

IMG_20190823_174021.jpg
IMG_20200109_104436_561.jpg

I felt the same when I test drove the frb Clio 182 over 10 years ago the engine was quite underwhelming didn't feel quick at all chassis felt good but motor was a let down that's why I didn't buy it shame as it looked great

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
OP, you didn’t happen to test drive a silver 182 from a dealer in Hitchin by any chance??

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I felt the same when I test drove the frb Clio 182 over 10 years ago the engine was quite underwhelming didn't feel quick at all chassis felt good but motor was a let down that's why I didn't buy it shame as it looked great
This is why I can’t get turbo conversions out of my head. Modernises the car massively :)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
OP, you didn’t happen to test drive a silver 182 from a dealer in Hitchin by any chance??

Yea he posted the link up a while back.

Didn't seem the best example for the price it was up at.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Put this 200bhp 970kg 182 against your fiest on any track ...

Screenshot_20190827-202247_Samsung Internet.jpg

Can tell you now,
1 who will be faster round a track
2 who will be smiling more at the end of the day
3 who will be driving flat out on the limit every lap with zero issues

They are a drivers car. Light weight, revvy
nimble, "boy racer" mobile.

Theres a reason why there is a clio cup championship!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Put this 200bhp 970kg 182 against your fiest on any track ...

View attachment 1463182

Can tell you now,
1 who will be faster round a track
2 who will be smiling more at the end of the day
3 who will be driving flat out on the limit every lap with zero issues

They are a drivers car. Light weight, revvy
nimble, "boy racer" mobile.

Theres a reason why there is a clio cup championship!
Lol.. let's be honest buddy... A road going Flyesta wont even know what direction our Clios went... [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Clio 172 Cup
After the 172 Cup I had a Suzuki Ignis Sport and the Clio 200. It wasn't until I bought my Fiesta ST that I felt I had something similar to the Cup. That's probably why I kept the ST for 4 years and did 60k in it. It just felt right...but with more torque.

Direct comparison? Tricky...two years separates me selling the Cup and buying the ST, and I don't think I've even sat in a 172/182 since I sold mine.

That's mad, it's almost 10 years since I drove one! Anyone have a mint standard one of any description they'd be happy to let me make a video in/on?

Next year of course :ROFLMAO:
Mines mint not quite standard it’s had a few subtle mods your welcome to use mine mate 👍

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Enjoyed reading through this thread.
These cars aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but I think the number of people here who own or have owned high power “ better” cars who still hold these things in such regard says a lot.
I got out of a stage 2 S3 8p which I tracked regularly into my current 182. I look back now and think what a heavy pointless lump of wood that motor was.
Cheap, light, quick, fun, good times.

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
I recently borrowed my brothers 360bhp k04'd Mk5 golf gti for a couple of months. Felt like a time machine compared to the clio. When i got back into the clio it felt pedal powered by comparison.. it was only when i had it near the end of 3rd gear in the twisties that i realised its not that clios are fast (they are not) its that you can drive them fast! and with confidence. In 3 months of golf ownership i didnt rev it past 5.5k and i never saw wide open throttle.. it just built boost and was in a different postcode. The clio needs to be up around the limiter to be considered anything near exciting. The fact that they are not that fast just means that this window of enjoyment is that much more accessible.

As an enthusiast i enjoy the golf and the clio in equal measures but i feel that the clio is overall the more rewarding car to drive.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Been considering getting an RS133 for a little while as a daily, so cheap now. It depends on what you want from a car. There's a lot of nostalgia to some folks on here when it comes to the mk2 Clio. A lot of the younger generation have been spoilt with the surge of 4 pot turbos, I can see why it would be hard to relate to the older stuff.

Put them both down the right road and it soon becomes apparent a Golf R isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Some inspiration :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Been considering getting an RS133 for a little while as a daily, so cheap now. It depends on what you want from a car. There's a lot of nostalgia to some folks on here when it comes to the mk2 Clio. A lot of the younger generation have been spoilt with the surge of 4 pot turbos, I can see why it would be hard to relate to the older stuff.

Put them both down the right road and it soon becomes apparent a Golf R isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Drove my sisters 1.2 turbo Clio the other day and I’ve gotta say it’s a hoot to drive picks up really well.
Youngens have got it really good now, I have to rev the nuts off my first car and it still didn’t go anywhere. :ROFLMAO:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My golf feels quick. Most of the time I just drive like miss daisy but when in the mood I'm surprised how well it goes.

Through the bends a Clio would beat it, but then we don't live on a race track lol.

But then sometimes when in the mood it seems to cover ground quicker than my Clio did.

Do I miss the Clio, sure, because I've been around them for years. Would I miss my golf, well apart from its been reliable, I'm not sure tbh.

I'd probably go back to a Renault at some point, but would be a 250 Mégane. Although an immaculate 182 is always a tempter.

Younger generation just won't get it. We walked past a 90 (j reg) civic the other day, was tidy, I loved it. Better half (10 years younger) just said it looked a bit w**k lol.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
You could only dream of owning a turbo back in the day.
Used to see the older guys driving round in their R5 GTT, fiesta RS turbos, scooby, evos all with their loud dump valves just to let you know.
Whilst youre in your Nova/corsa/AX/valver/205/206
Now everything is turboed