ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uniroyal Rainsports feel like Jelly!

Anyone else with Rainsports? Ive just changed from Contis and ive noticed that they feel so much more sloppy, scarily so! Changing direction at speed feels like i have jelly for wheels. I just drove up to Newcastle and back, and lane changing on the Motorway was scary it felt like the front moved first then the tail slopped its way over! Very strange, anyone else notice a big difference from changing from Contis to Rains?

Max

ive got rainsports, they onmly seem to like it if its either very wet, otr very dry, not inbetween, ive often had the front end slide out when taking a corner fast, but nothing as extreme as what youve described, have they run in properly?

Well theyve done over 200miles now and yeah they are inflated ok, 32 front and 30 rear (psi).

Max

[Edited by Max172cup on 04 May 2004 at 11:48am]

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Lunner on 03 May 2004

ive got rainsports, they onmly seem to like it if its either very wet, otr very dry, not inbetween,
i found that aswell tbh............damp roads were the worst

They came wiht my wheels, first performance tyres ive had so havent really got anything to compare them to, but im far from happy wiht them.

E90

I had two new ones put on last week, to match the two that were on the back, had bald contis on the front :) I think there a bit jelly like, dont seem to be as solid as the contis but the tread pattern is thinner/different, I think thats why they feel a different, sh*t hot in the rain though, went to Warrington over the 62 tuesday last week, and the weather was dire, but never had a problem, used to have a bit of aquaplaning with the contis.

I noticed it, like you said, in the dry on the motorway, when changing lanes, Im sure youll get used to it though, like a new pair of shoes.

[Edited by Dutch 172 on 04 May 2004 at 12:14pm]

Lee

BMW M2C

I was talking to Ben about this in Scotland. Hed got rainsports on his Cup and was concerned that they had a large amount of sidewall flex. So much so that he had stiffened his suspension to the max to try and compensate for the tyres!! He actually showed me the amount of sideways movement they had in the sidewall. Hell of a lot when you drive your car like Ben does. ;)

Ill never understand why people by tyres like that and expect them to be amazing performers. If they were as good as F1s, Exaltos etc then they would cost a hell of a lot more.

If I was after a cheaper performance tyre I think Id go with the Yokohama A539s, these seem to strike a good balance between grip, wear and price.

Id certainly up the pressure in them, it probably wont help with wear but may help with stability for now.

I agree that the Contis had a very solid feel to them. The F1s felt a little soft compared to them. The F1s seemed to improve the ride quality too, but the levels of grip are a hell of a lot higher. I have a lot more confidence in the car than I did on Contis. Not that the Contis were a bad tyre, I always thought they offered a progressive feel.

[Edited by Lee M on 04 May 2004 at 12:15pm]

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I got rainsports all round with no complaints. One thing that really bummed me and scared me sh*tless was the amount of aqua planing I got on the contis and toyos.. the rainsports are rock solid and give more grip in the dry than the contis or toyos.

In the wet they are superb also. I dont know if this makes any difference but like dogmaul I slightly over inflate the rainsports. Seems to make them much better.

E90

Sidewall flex, yeah it does feel like they are moving around a bit, that explains it.Thanks. No say in the tyres though lease company has the final say, and its usually cheapest first. :(

well are you sure its side wall flex and not the tread blocks moving ??

anyone got a pic of the tread on the rainsports ??

Lee

BMW M2C

I used to have a leased company car and I argued that I was the one who drove the thing 25k miles a year and I wanted the tyres of my choice on it.

I always got the tyres I wanted that way.:D

Bummer, just taken a photo and seen youve put one on Lucas!

Thanks for all your thoughts on the matter guys. Think ill over inflate the tyres a little and see what that does. I didnt expect the Rainsports to be amazing as they were a budget tyre for my budget bank balance, but ive heard good things about them and just didnt expect that much flex from the sidewalls on the motorway, it was quite disturbing to feel it, after getting used to the contis.

Got the cup booked into Renault on Monday to try and sort out my brake problem. How much do Renault charge per hour for labour? As i seem to remember i got ripped off last time i went in.

Max

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1083671268__IMGP0327Large.jpg

[Edited by Max172cup on 04 May 2004 at 12:43pm]

oooh lunner nice wheels ;) good taste!

i just put uniroyals on my car two days ago and ever since when I turn the car on full lock they scrub like a beeeatch which its NEVER done before....NO FAIR!

Ive got rainsports on mine, its the first quick car ive owned and ive only had it a week, But i also noticed there seemed to be a lot of flex in the tyre, Mine were set at 30psi all round, what would you recommend? It seems a little tail happy but ive not given it too much Yet ;)

Danny

Quote: Originally posted by SexyRT on 04 May 2004

oooh lunner nice wheels ;) good taste!

i just put uniroyals on my car two days ago and ever since when I turn the car on full lock they scrub like a beeeatch which its NEVER done before....NO FAIR!
hehe, cheers!;)

Pity the other wheel is kerbed to f**k, theyll be off to the refurbers in the summer methinks