ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unsteady feel

Da

Less
No, Renault will only sell the complete wishbone mate at a cost of about £80 a side.
I bought two balljoints delivered to my door for £25 all in.

Fitted in less than two hours, very simple and cheap.

b/g 182, meg tourer
right guys, a little update for those of you following this with similar problems...

took my car over to tom's (tom84 on here) and he had a good look over it. he found a little bit of play in the drivers side balljoint, and thinks that this is the most likely cause of the problem.
im getting hold of 2 new balljoints from GSF as soon as i can and getting tom to give me a hand fitting them. will let you all know the outcome.
thanks for all of the help and input guys. and thanks tom for hopefully finding the problem! :)

b/g 182, meg tourer
right... little update again.
had new top mount bearings fitted and new ball joints fitted but still no joy. the car is still pulling in all directions on the road and the steering is still very light/vauge. the ball joints seem to have stiffened things up a little but something is still wrong.

what next? new top mounts? new front shocks?

Mondeo TDCi
i had new tyres and tracking done which made a massive difference. however i have now changed to williams wheels with 185/55/15 tyres and the handling feels perfect so much better than before, no tramlining, vaugeness and a much more direct feel.

b/g 182, meg tourer
think i will be taking a trip to birmingham to let fred take a look when he can fit me in :) will hopefull have an answer then.
sounds like it could be a case of one of several things that could make the car behave this way. not just one common fault.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I had 4 new tyres fitted recently (toyo tr1) think they are and tracking done and it's horrid now. Soon as I get speed up it feels nasty. Not to sure what the next step is tbh.

Past MOT with no advisorys so bearing and bush wear is outta question I guess

Might be it then mate I'm running toyo t1rs and I can't utalise any of the cars power its crap I've owned over 20 high end motirs or tack sheds and usually use nankang ns2 sport tyred but went toyo this time. I can't see it being the tyres but something is a miss

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Interesting to hea you have the same tyre.

After 1000 miles I love them in the twistie bits but at high speed it sometimes feels like the backs swaying whilst I'm in a straight line.

Then again until I get it on a track and really push it in a bend or two I won't know so might change my mind. Shame cause they seem to get okay reviews

b/g 182, meg tourer
im also running t1-r's. never had this problem with them before tho or even heard of people suffering with this problem due to t1-r's.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Bit of a coincidence that 3 of us are running same brand and model tyres don't you think?

Like I said I had 4 tyres fitted and then mot pretty much the same day and it had no advisory so I know it's up together. I'm betting it's the tyres now

172 Cup
I also have ha dthis issue on same tyres, about to refresh front two with kumhos so will see how I get on with them
W

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I had them on front and conti on rear and it was fine at high speed. Found it dangerous in the rain though. Let up know how you get on

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I'm running pirellis up front so that's me out of that conspiricy theory!

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
To be fair I have parellis on our alfa 147 and that tram lines like a b**ch. I'm not getting tramlining with the toyos to be fair, loads less than the kumhos. I can live with slight pulling from camber etc but this is high speed unsteadiness I'm getting. It's extremely unnerving

b/g 182, meg tourer
i agree rory. im also getting the problem quite agressively at low spoeeds on uneven surfaces. not a very nice feeling and certianly doesn't fill you with confidence.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
It's definitely a tight grip on my steering wheel. Ive actually put 33psi in them and it's a bit better but I'm expecting them to wear in the middle now..............sooner the better!

Thing is not one review online says anything about the problem we are having. Shame they don't run batch numbers. Just seems odd that no ones said anything about it online.

tiTTy & SV650
Anyone ever get to the bottom of these issues? Mine has a bit of a knock and feels vague, a little bit too much play in the steering and feels like its sliding a bit in faster bends.

The shocks and top mount bearings are new, the o/s driveshaft is newish - was thinking track rod ends and track rods, now thinking ball joint or ARB bushes maybe too.

Whats the rack end? Just the track rod? or something completely different?

anyone got any other updates, has anyonen changed the suspesnion yet i hear there are loads of issues with leaking or leaked suspension. think im going to get coilovers and see how it go.

Looking for 182
I had 3 Michelin PE2s on the legal limit and one brand new budget tyre on my car. I just had 4 new Michelin PE2s fitted and the tracking checked (which was slightly out) and my problems seem to be pretty much gone now.

b/g 182, meg tourer
UPDATE...

massive thanks to fred for his time and knowledge! took it to him on monday, he stripped all of the front suspension down. the knocking fix washers had been fitted wrong :S he checked everything else and tourqued everything up properly. and it was an improvement straight away! not perfect but i knew the tracking needed doing. got the tracking done the next morning and it was a huge improvement. car doesn't pull itself all over the road now :) the camber has somehow balanced out slightly now too. i think my front shocks are a little tired tho, they might be next on the list.

massive thanks to fred! he sorted out a few other little niggles with the car while i was there too :)

did you get the studs on the dynacup sorted fred? that was a very strange one!