ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading Motherboard

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Hi,

I'm after some advise. I've just got a new HTPC case that has front USB 3.0 ports but my current mobo doesn't have any connections for front USB 3.0.
Does anyone know of a socket 1366 mobo with a front USB 3.0 adapter?
My current mother board is the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3.
Ideally I do want to change any of my current hardware other than the mobo.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
That won't work. Well, it will - but you'll only have USB2.0 support coming out the end of that cable, if your mobo doesn't natively support USB3.0.

The cheapest option is to buy a USB3.0 PCIe card - and if you need it to run around the front, nab a USB3.0 extension lead.

Something like this.....
http://www.ebuyer.com/491334-dynamode-4-port-usb3-0-pcie-card-usb-4pci-3-0
....with....
http://www.ebuyer.com/258946-usrobo...ens-cable-a-male-a-female-1-8m-moq-20-usr8405

D.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't need USB 3.0 on the front which is why I've gone for the 3.0 to 2.0 cable.
I just wanted to utilise the the two additional front USB ports.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply.
I don't need USB 3.0 on the front which is why I've gone for the 3.0 to 2.0 cable.
I just wanted to utilise the the two additional front USB ports.

That should be fine then. I thought you specifically needed 3.0 by the sounds out it (which is brilliant if you get compatible devices, BTW).
Try using 32GB and 64GB USB3.0 pen drives on a regular basis. You'll be horrified at how slow USB2.0 is after that!

D.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
That should be fine then. I thought you specifically needed 3.0 by the sounds out it (which is brilliant if you get compatible devices, BTW).
Try using 32GB and 64GB USB3.0 pen drives on a regular basis. You'll be horrified at how slow USB2.0 is after that!

D.
My motherboard has two rear USB 3.0 ports. One of them has my 3TB external drive connected but it's been so long since I've used USB 2.0 for file transfer that I don't notice if it's fast or not.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My motherboard has two rear USB 3.0 ports. One of them has my 3TB external drive connected but it's been so long since I've used USB 2.0 for file transfer that I don't notice if it's fast or not.

Is the external drive caddy itself USB3.0 compliant too? I'm guessing it will be with a drive of that size in it?

D.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Instead of posting a new thread I thought I'd add this here.

I've installed everything into my new case but it's a very tight squeeze so I'm waiting to get some smaller components where possible.
I currently have this graphics card which is really quite large. Can anyone recommend a graphics card that is the same or better than this but smaller?