ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading my headunit

Megane 225 Cup
Hey guys,

I own a renault clio 1.4 alize (I know that makes me a traitor round here.. but im 18 and cant afford the insurance on a 172 or a 182.. next year im hoping)

Well anyway.. ive upgaded all my speakers to alpine ones and it still doesnt sound exactly top notch so im replacing my head unit.

However i found a really nice sony head unit.. went to buy it and was told that it wont work with my steering controls (is this correct)

The headset can do pretty much any other can but because it the steering controls connect to the display apparently it wont work?

Can anyone give me some more info on this.. or let me know what i can do to get it to work..

This is the head unit

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...45&crumb=31371&varient=&CarSelectorCatalogId=

So to recap.. can i get the steering wheel controls workign with this.. i dont care about teh heads up display

Thanks guys

Polo + Micra
it not on the list on car audio direct so you might not be able to get the radio part of the adaptor

also £110 on c.a.d for that hu

OLI

205 gti-6
no this headunit aint compatible with the steering controls but it should still work though. not 100% sure.
by the way its £40 cheaper at http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4668

to be honest, ive never bin a fan of sony car audio though, i would go for an alpine or pioneer headunit.
for £150 you can get http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4726
or http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3823

these will sound a lot better than the sony plus you can get the steerin stalk adaptor
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=47_720_731
Not sure which one will though mate

Renault Clio RN 1.6 Auto
actually i have the same question, so if you upgrade to other brand head unit rather than oringinal renaults you will loose the ability of the steering control?
Thanks

Polo + Micra
you will but you can buy an adaptor to make it work again(and some also work with the display)

Renault Clio RN 1.6 Auto
Thanks Dink!
Im not very good at car audios, but Im just wondering the oringal renault speakers are they any good? cuz my car only has cassett, and Im goin to get a CD player for it, do i need to upgrade the speakers too?
Thanks

UR 197, AB 182 FF
It's interesting seeing some of the threads like this as today I planned the start of fitting a mp3/cd/usb stereo into my clio, starting with no knowledge whatsoever. Luckily I find out that it has standard ISO fittings at the back, so my first point of call is to get the old headunit out. Anybody had any luck using 4 sharp things to get theirs out? I dont mind spending the £2.99 from CAD for the pins.

Secondly then.. if i change the head unit, will that destroy my display panel? or is this seperate on the new clios

Polo + Micra
they would be better if you made them out of sticky back plastic and pva glue blue peter style lol

GOLF GT TDI
well if your looking for a headunit still i have a Pioneer Headunit for sale in the forum :)

Megane 225 Cup
Right.. i know about removing headuints.. just use two nails push into the slots and push away from teh stereo.. once one edge is out do the other side.

For most stereos you can get adaptors for the steering wheel controls

But the problem with the clio is that the heads up display is connected to the steering controls.. so you cant connect to the steering wheel controls..

This is my problem.. you can adapt most headunits to steering controls but i dont know how the heads up display works.

hasnt anyone got a different headunit and the stalk working??

if so how did u do it?

yeah i know its expensive there.. my mate works there though so i get discount :D

Megane 225 Cup
Yeah they are both good and i will consider them, that was just an example really.. i just want to know a headset that will work with the stalk.. even if it needs adaptors.

I think what ill do is badger someone in the shop and post the results up here afterwards.

VRS
fungusman said:
Hey guys,

I own a renault clio 1.4 alize (I know that makes me a traitor round here.. but im 18 and cant afford the insurance on a 172 or a 182.. next year im hoping)

cs is for all clios matey, your not a traitor :D

Megane 225 Cup
hehe.. thanks dude..

In time i intend to buy a bigger engined one.... in fact i already upgraded from a 1.2 to a 1.4... so by next year im hoping to go one more up.

GOLF GT TDI
fungusman said:
Yeah they are both good and i will consider them, that was just an example really.. i just want to know a headset that will work with the stalk.. even if it needs adaptors.

I think what ill do is badger someone in the shop and post the results up here afterwards.

hi mate if your looking for a unit that works with the stalk controls i have one for sale, looking for around £230 with aux box etc if your interested pm me and i can give you more info cheers