ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrading speakers - recommendations please

clio 182
as above, looking at upgrading the speakers, not sub etc, and am not planning on amping them up either.

currently have an alpine 113bt, thinking about getting a ktp-445 to up the power a little bit,

what speakers would people recommend? wanted jl but was told it was pointless due to the fact that am not amping the speakers up. cheers

Mk2 172
pioneer custom-fit fronts

Sound no better than standard ones tbh.
People keep going on about them on here cos there cheap and cheerful and easy to fit but they dont sound any better imo.
Spend money thats actually going to make a significant difference like the TSE range, bout £75 and just run coaxials.

Mk2 172
as above, looking at upgrading the speakers, not sub etc, and am not planning on amping them up either.

currently have an alpine 113bt, thinking about getting a ktp-445 to up the power a little bit,

what speakers would people recommend? wanted jl but was told it was pointless due to the fact that am not amping the speakers up. cheers

JL's arent pointless at all. Thats completely untrue! U dont NEED to amp the JL's but amping any speaker of any kind or price range is going to massively improve its performance and what u get out out of them. They will sound much better and will sound significantly better than the custom fit pioneers.
A pair of JL TR or C2 coaxials will be ideal!!

clio 182
The other thing is that jl speakers are alot more pennies. Like 120-150 for a pair where as I'd like to get all four for that price

Ollie's Silver Cup
I'd go with JL every time :)

I have JL ZR's in my Clio and although they were pricey, I feel they're very much worth the money :)

Mk2 172
The other thing is that jl speakers are alot more pennies. Like 120-150 for a pair where as I'd like to get all four for that price

For a start off dont even entertain changing rears (waste of money)
A pair of JL TR coaxials are 80 quid now so u must be looking at the C2 range i used to use in my clio. The TR range is streets ahead of the pioneers!!
I fit all this stuff for a living so have heard them many many times :)
The key to making a speaker sound good and to achieve its full potential is down to the installation, spend ALOT of time fitting a JL TR speaker using an mdf baffle and loads of dynamat and u can make it out perform a speaker that costs 3 times the price that has just been simply screwed in the door!!

Mk2 172
I'd go with JL every time :)

I have JL ZR's in my Clio and although they were pricey, I feel they're very much worth the money :)

Very good speakers, Not much between those and the new C5's but tweeter and mid are matched to within 1 db of each other which is what gives them the slight advantage!! Good choice!!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Very good speakers, Not much between those and the new C5's but tweeter and mid are matched to within 1 db of each other which is what gives them the slight advantage!! Good choice!!

I'm very happy with them :)

I've not listened to C5's, however, I was/am considering them for the rear. Feels like it need some rear fill at times, but the positioning is just terrible!

I'd like to hope the ZR's would out perform them though :evil:

Mk2 172
I'm very happy with them :)

I've not listened to C5's, however, I was/am considering them for the rear. Feels like it need some rear fill at times, but the positioning is just terrible!

I'd like to hope the ZR's would out perform them though :evil:

Yes the ZR's do out perform them but you really do have to know what ur listening for to tell the difference. Better cohesion between mid and tweeter and the mid bass is slightly more pronounced on the ZR's, IMO.

Dont waste any money on rears tbh, location and application is crap and a GOOD hifi in a car onl really has 2 speakers and a sub woofer. At the end of the day your ears point forward so u dont really listen to rear speakers.
If u want so called rear fill for passengers then just go for something simple like the TR range :)

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Sony Explode. last year's models, £25 a pair, amazing speakers.

and lol @ some of the intelligence in here.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
If uve got nothing of any importance to say then dont say anything at all!!

i suggested the Sony Explodes, dam good speakers for the size, i also suggested getting last year's models as they can be picked up at half the price.

what more do u want :rolleyes:

Mk2 172
i suggested the Sony Explodes, dam good speakers for the size, i also suggested getting last year's models as they can be picked up at half the price.

what more do u want :rolleyes:

Sony speakers and good in the same sentence?!?! Ok mate! lol
They sound bright, harsh, very thin sounding. Hurrendous tbh. Ive not heard anything decent from sony (caraudio) in about the last ten yrs!

seat ibiza cupra
i can get you orion hcca 5.2 components brand new boxed for £110 - they usually retial at over £250 (there not stolen btw)

clio 182
For a start off dont even entertain changing rears (waste of money)
A pair of JL TR coaxials are 80 quid now so u must be looking at the C2 range i used to use in my clio. The TR range is streets ahead of the pioneers!!
I fit all this stuff for a living so have heard them many many times :)
The key to making a speaker sound good and to achieve its full potential is down to the installation, spend ALOT of time fitting a JL TR speaker using an mdf baffle and loads of dynamat and u can make it out perform a speaker that costs 3 times the price that has just been simply screwed in the door!!

think i might just fit fronts then, with the power booster thingy,

they a ballache to fit then if u have to do all that stuff to make them fit?

If uve got nothing of any importance to say then dont say anything at all!!

:lolup:

Yes the ZR's do out perform them but you really do have to know what ur listening for to tell the difference. Better cohesion between mid and tweeter and the mid bass is slightly more pronounced on the ZR's, IMO.

Dont waste any money on rears tbh, location and application is crap and a GOOD hifi in a car onl really has 2 speakers and a sub woofer. At the end of the day your ears point forward so u dont really listen to rear speakers.
If u want so called rear fill for passengers then just go for something simple like the TR range :)

right ok cheers for that.

any other good speakers people would recommend other than jl and sony lol

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
I dont need to explain myself to someone who clearly knows nothing about audio if their mentioning using SONY speakers. If your happy using them then im pleased for you.

haven't used Sony for years, using Bose at the mo. isnt bad.

i recommended Sony as they are going in a Clio. not a bentley. Had a really nice setup with just 4 Sony Xplode speakers, for £50 they sounded amazing, vast improvement on standard.

Mk2 172
haven't used Sony for years, using Bose at the mo. isnt bad.

i recommended Sony as they are going in a Clio. not a bentley. Had a really nice setup with just 4 Sony Xplode speakers, for £50 they sounded amazing, vast improvement on standard.

Doesnt make any difference what car they are going in.
Bose is a marketing company anyway not an audio company. The systems they put in the audis and stuff make me laugh as they have the bare faced cheek to charge 2k for something which is apparently an upgrade. Most people who listen to bose systems automatically think its good because they have all of a sudden introduced a FORM of bass, not real sub bass but a form of bass and anyone who doesnt know what they are actually listening to instantly think it sounds better when actually it just sounds like a confused waubling mess!!

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
why does it matter what car there going into!

build quality.

if you cant see where i am going, just go to Halfrauds and buy some JVC speakers.

Doesnt make any difference what car they are going in.
Bose is a marketing company anyway not an audio company. The systems they put in the audis and stuff make me laugh as they have the bare faced cheek to charge 2k for something which is apparently an upgrade. Most people who listen to bose systems automatically think its good because they have all of a sudden introduced a FORM of bass, not real sub bass but a form of bas and anyone who doesnt know what they are actually listening to instantly think it sounds better when actually it just sounds like a confused waubling mess!!

Standard Bose system built into the car. get off your horse.

Mk2 172
build quality.

if you cant see where i am going, just go to Halfrauds and buy some JVC speakers.

Standard Bose system built into the car. get off your horse.

Use sound deadening then!!! Its the CORRECT way to install car audio. If your not using it then dont even bother upgrading the speakers at all

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Use sound deadening then!!! Its the CORRECT way to install car audio. If your not using it then dont even bother upgrading the speakers at all

of course, and make sure its good quality sound deadening. I also heard carpet underlay (the recycled material stuff) is also quite good if you are on a budget.

Mk2 172
cheers ill have a look, is it 13cm both front and back?

Yes but the modifications to put a 6.5 inch speaker in the doors is fairly simple to do and massively improves the sound as u are using a speaker which has almost double the cone area of a 5 inch speaker!! :)

Mk2 172
of course, and make sure its good quality sound deadening. I also heard carpet underlay (the recycled material stuff) is also quite good if you are on a budget.

Therefore dynamat is the way to go, end of!! Even a small amount of dynamat has been PROVED to have better deadening properties than some of the other types used in must bigger quantities and therefore doesnt cost u anymore to use dynamat :)

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Therefore dynamat is the way to go, end of!! Even a small amount of dynamat has been PROVED to have better deadening properties than some of the other types used in must bigger quantities and therefore doesnt cost u anymore to use dynamat :)

thats the stuff, couldn't remember the brand name.

my Mk1 caddy will be full of it :cool:

seat ibiza cupra
muggles dnt go on that u no what ur on about wen clearly theres 2 or 3 ppl on here tellin u ur wrong, and i dnt need to go to halfords as im runnin 3 sets of components and 2 orion hcca 15.2 subs runnin at over 150 db! and that isnt in a bentley!

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
muggles dnt go on that u no what ur on about wen clearly theres 2 or 3 ppl on here tellin u ur wrong, and i dnt need to go to halfords as im runnin 3 sets of components and 2 orion hcca 15.2 subs runnin at over 150 db! and that isnt in a bentley!

lol @ 150 db

logarithmic scale? that would make it as loud as a jet taking off :rolleyes:

all i did was recommended the speakers, as i have used them and found them adequate in a French hatchback. If you want to go round pissing off everyone with your "tunes" at silly volumes then go ahead.

I prefer a decent sounding system.

seat ibiza cupra
cheers ill have a look, is it 13cm both front and back?

to be honest mate if u get decent fronts like the ones ive just shown you - and ill see how much i can get the 6.5" for , i think there the same but ill check , you wont need to upgrade the rears really! and if you were going to i would say get the 13cm orion co-axials - there usaully bout £150 but i think i can sort them out for bout £80

seat ibiza cupra
go on streetbassers website and see all the installs doin over 150 db - dno y ur arguing with when this thread is to be helping sum1 out - not trying to big up ur supposed knowledge of audio

clio 182
to be honest mate if u get decent fronts like the ones ive just shown you - and ill see how much i can get the 6.5" for , i think there the same but ill check , you wont need to upgrade the rears really! and if you were going to i would say get the 13cm orion co-axials - there usaully bout £150 but i think i can sort them out for bout £80

ok cheers, if you could pm me a price etc, thinking it'll be august/sept time tho, as its car tax month....

Focal

End of.

nice n simple, thank u!