ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upper gearbox mount- turning upper nut looks like its going to rip the rubber mount

172DD Cup
hi, im trying to remove the upper gearbox mount so i can see if its the reason my manifold is knocking on the subframe.

i've taken off the two smaller nuts, but when i turn the large nut in the middle it twists the rubber mount.

i've located the nut underneath- the nut isn't spinning, but the thread inside that nut is. plus i can't see how i can get access to this nut, lot of pipes in the way :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Re: Upper gearbox mount- turning upper nut looks like its going to rip the rubber mou

I had this problem, the rubber was causing it to spring back pretty violently too, never did solve it so please let me know how you get on. (I've still got a new mount waiting to go on sitting on my bedside table) lol

172DD Cup
Re: Upper gearbox mount- turning upper nut looks like its going to rip the rubber mou

turns out the bolt was moving. in the end i accessed it from the top of the gearbox, you can direct a spanner under the gearbox mount and slot it onto the net.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Manage it then mate? I think the nut on mine was spinning too tbh, really need to replace that soon though...

172DD Cup

yeah, got the nut off this way

172DD Cup

i just worked on the lower nut though, i didn't touch the upper nut and bolt

Trying to do this at the moment, Cannot budge the large 18mm nut through the centre spike? and can't work out how you would access it any other way? any help appreciated

172DD Cup

the nut on the bottom? lay a spanner on the top of the gearbox parallel with the radiator (ie at 0 degrees) and you should be able to slide it right under the mount and onto the nut. might have to force a pipe out of the way.

failing that, support the weight of the gearbox with a jack (this might be optional as you have the lower gearbox mount supporting the box, but i would use a jack anyway), undo the two 10mm bolts that hold the ecu to the bracket, the three 16mm bolts that hold the bracket to the gearbox, a couple of 13mm bolts on the bodywork and one or two other 10mm bolts that hold wiring looms and lift the whole thing out, bracket and mount.

i found i couldn't turn the upper bolt AT ALL, working on the lower nut got it apart.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Never did undo mine. Ever garages haven't been able to get it undone.

did you access it through the wheel arch mate? or from the engine bay?

172DD Cup

engine bay. wheel arch was a no go. once i figured i could get a spanner under the bracket and onto the nut i was away.

172DD Cup

you could consider supporting it on a jack and loosening off the bottom bolt of the LOWER gearbox mount, allowing you to jack the gearbox up a cm or so and give you enough clearance to attack the bolt?

340i

big breaker bar

18mm deep sock

flex the 'big guns'

swing

swear

swear again

crack... spin

Done

Think the spike that goes through the middle may have sheared off tbh, the mount is deffo ruined cause the rubber has perished

172 ph1

We need a guide with pictures for this...

340i

It's really simple guys...

Took me 10 minutes to swap mine over!

When you remove the old mount loc tite the nut at the bottom of the stud to stop it coming loose in the future!

172 ph1

It's really simple guys...

Took me 10 minutes to swap mine over!

When you remove the old mount loc tite the nut at the bottom of the stud to stop it coming loose in the future!
I just found these, if I understand correctly the battery tray itself does not need to be dismantled?

don't support the gearbox, remove the 2x13mm nuts (catch the bolts from underneath as they fall out) then undo the large 18mm nut and hit the spike sticking up with a hammer

gearbox will drop eventually, then jack it up and replace
mounts-2.jpg

edit: looking at this, this is the right way up?

the thick wedge goes under the battery tray and the plate goes above?

ktecp205_f.jpg

340i

With the Vibratechnic mount all parts are on top of the battery tray!

You don't need to remove the battery tray for the mount change either.

172 ph1

Oh s**t I just noticed I bought a 19mm deep socket rather than 18mm :(

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

The mount goes on the top. It is an easy job if you think it all through and the top 18mm nut comes off. Not easy when the top nut won't come off, but then it isn't difficult to take all the frame off and dismantle it in a vice. Put the frame back on first then fit the mount last as that way it's easier to get the three 16mm bolts in the gearbox housing.

172 ph1

Reading back to Fred's instructions, hitting the spike with a hammer is just to get the rubber off the spike right? Not much to remove from underneath the battery tray?

get an air gun on the 18mm bolt, comes straight off and saves alot of swearing and loss of skin

172 ph1

Thanks for all the help guys, managed to do it tonight :)

Putting the 13mm nuts back on under the battery tray was a pain in the ass, required a lot of my hand/wrist.

Also took a few tries with a spanner to lock the shaft from spinning when putting the new mount on

Lionel Richie

^the nuts go above the battery tray, its the bolts that go in from the underside

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

What happens if even a buzz gun, or a 10ft long breaker bar doesn't manage it Fred?

Just time to buy another whole setup? LOL

Lionel Richie

spend £500 on a proper buzz gun, it will shift

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Wasn't my buzz gun, trust me, it was proper.

This was just the top nut, but it was going NOWHERE.

I've had two people tell me "that'll come off easy" and they both failed. The first time we even took the whole mount out and tried like that, still no joy.

Lionel Richie

bet you £100 i could get it ;)

172 ph1

This is how I did it following Fred's instructions

Used the large torque wrench to loosen the 18mm nut. Then I undid the 2 13mm nuts and caught the bolts underneath.

IMG_0232.jpg

out with the old in with the new

IMG_0234.jpg

Magnet on a stick came in handy many times while working on the car. Used it here to help position one of the 2 small nuts that has to go underneath the battery tray. For the other one I had to stick my hand down that hole :mad:

IMG_0236.jpg

The whole shaft kept turning so I had to block it with a spanner. Took me a while to position the spanner correctly

IMG_0237.jpg

Jacked the gearbox up again and tightened everything.

IMG_0238.jpg

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

What's all that weird ducting do in the bottom picture?

Ford S-Max 2.2 TDCI Ti

Can anyone tell me what size spanner is needed to stop the shaft from moving.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

18mm