ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent advice needed, possible Kwik-fit fail.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Guys,

I fitted a new set of front pads on Fri afternoon, very happy with them except for a little binding which I sorted by a good caliper clean/service this afternoon.

After having sorted the issue, pulled the car off the drive ready to take her for a test drive to make sure everything was ok.......when I noticed a small puddle from where the n/s rear wheel had been sitting. Checking to see what it was found it to be greasy. Investigate further to find the offending leak etc to find the image in the photos below.

Basically the pads have totally fallen out of the caliper sometime in the last week and a half are are beside a road somewhere. The rubber cover around the piston has been nicked somehow (fast moving brake pads possibly) I fitted the pads myself over 15 months ago and never had any problems from them. The only recent work on them was done by Kwik-fit, who 'adjusted' them to pass its MOT mid Feb. I've spent just over a week abroad with work so have only been driving the car for a couple of weeks since. There is scoring on the disc from where the caliper and piston have been acting as 'pads'. Yesterday (Sat) I drove down to see a friend in London (150 miles of driving at least) so have most likely been driving a dangerous car.

Lets just say I have not been for a test drive this afternoon and will not be driving anywhere till it is fixed. I am furious. I intend to call Kwik-fit in the morning and see what they will do. I am certain they are to blame. I have been going there for the last 2 years and never had any reason to fault their work.

Any thoughts about action I should take?

4414541064_ed14c81475.jpg

4413776303_23fa77a27d.jpg

4414551638_97ebc5ca0d.jpg

4414559284_09b76a14ea.jpg

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert_northampton_106_rallye/sets/72157603693633511/

Mondeo TDCI 130
Sorry but i laughed!

TBH you have no leg to stand on if it hasn't been done "yesterday".

Been there before, there is no proof nobody else has messed with it since.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Sorry but i laughed!

TBH you have no leg to stand on if it hasn't been done "yesterday".

Been there before, there is no proof nobody else has messed with it since.

Thats what I was worried about. I know I havent messed with it but that wouldnt stand in court.....

If I do end up having to sort it myself, obviously a new set of discs and pads are needed, but can the rubber sleeve around the piston be replaced so a new caliper is not required? Serviceable part? Where could I get a new pad shim from too?

PH1 172 Sport
Thats what I was worried about. I know I havent messed with it but that wouldnt stand in court.....

If I do end up having to sort it myself, obviously a new set of discs and pads are needed, but can the rubber sleeve around the piston be replaced so a new caliper is not required? Serviceable part? Where could I get a new pad shim from too?

You can get a caliper refurb kit from http://www.biggred.co.uk/ or you may be able to get the seal from Renault but I'm not sure.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Believe it or not, Kwik-fit have not specifically accepted blame but have agreed that as they were the last people to touch them and they may have been the cause of the problem they intend to replace the caliper, are fitting a new set of discs and pads all at their expense.

Unlike many chain garages I do think the guys at my local kwik-fit do their job very well......as I said I have never had a problem with any of the work they have done before, and for me they have always been helpful and willing to go the extra mile. Makes a change I know! It possibly helps I am a regular customer there and most of the guys there know me by name (or car)!

Last edited:
  Renault Clio S
I also need some advice on how to handle a situation concerning the failure of a Kwik-Fit garage to properly diagnose and problem.

Few weeks back I noticed a change in the exhaust note; a bit deeper with a fart-like blowing sound coming off throttle, particularly in first. As I was due to undertake an hour or so drive the following day I naturally wanted to get it checked to ensure nothing was going to fall off and so visited my local Kwik-Fit who diagnosed the problem as being the cat converter, specifically the mesh/weave which was looking a bit ropey. Had this replaced and nothing changed. Exhaust still sounded odd, so took it back and after another look said the gasket on the cat was at fault so they replaced it. They then also suggested having the mid-section replaced as it was rusty and they could detect a slight leak ahead of the silencer which was causing the noise. Had this done and still they car sounded off. Took it back for a third time and now they say it’s the engine mounts causing the noise. Apparently there’s too much movement in the engine which pulls the mesh/weave on the cat-converter causing the fart-like noise which I’ve been worried about.

So naturally I’m a bit pissed-off as they failed to spot the real issue in the first place, if the engine mounts really are the cause of the problem. I’m taking it back next week so that the manager can provide a second opinion on this latest diagnosis, if that really is the problem. As I’ve shelled out for a new cat-converter and mid-section should I be pushing for a refund or something? I can’t imagine I’d get one as they only ‘advise’ on what the problem may be and then you obviously agree to have the work done. Plus, after having the mid-section replaced there’s now a hideous knocking noise from the back each time I pull away from a stand still. Sounds like the back-box, but having put the car up on a ramp it all seems secure enough so Christ knows what they’ve done to my car.