ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent Help - Locking Wheels Nuts

Help Please!

I was changing the back wheels to the front to make putting two new tyres on a little easier for my mate. Got one side done and was working on the back wheel when the locking nut just basically fell apart under mormal presure.

Ive got the parts of the jigsaw that fell off and the nut now wont turn.

I have my MOT due on the 18th and urgently need two new tyres swapped and with this bust im in deep mess.

How do you go about getting a replacement fitting for the nuts and are they expensive?

Help much appreciated.

Paddy

guess this might be as per Dan (?), but if they're the set that were fitted to the car when it was sold, you've probably got the key code in one of the owner's booklets (assuming you've got those; worth checking anyway)

there are ways of getting nuts/bolts off without the keys if you're stuck

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well if thats the case, you can order a newone from Renault. Just take the box to parts and they will order it using the code on the sticker of the box. Usually takes 3 days.

Failing that, If you know 5/6 people with Clios, try and borrow theirs. There's only about 8 different shapes of Renault locking nuts so someone somewhere has the same style as you do. (Providing you have original Renault items)

Rite thanks.

How much would they cost thru renault? Il attacha pic of the design. Ive been able to put it back into shape. Do you think it would be possible to glue/solder back together?

cheers.

dscf0038.jpg

glue/solder aren't going to withstand the torque; depending upon where it has broken, you might be able to cobble something useable together with a welder, but really want to be replacing it (and all of the locking bolts if you can't match the key). can't be all that expensive for a new set? £20-30?

ed. that does look like an OE Renault key by the way

Last edited:
Rite thanks.

DO i have to go to the renault or is it worth phoning up? The closest one is around 30-40 miles and with work i dont have time to get up. Obv i will if i cant get them elsewhere.

Do 172's have the same keys? I know a guy close with one and that might be worth a bash?

looks similar in design to the key i have for my 172, so might be worth a go

any garage should be able to remove the locking bolts for you and you don't 'need' to replace them with Renault locking bolts providing you buy an aftermarket set that are designed for the car/wheels

if you've not got any note of the key code, try calling Renault to see if they've got a record of it anywhere (some dealers/manufacturers might have taken a note as the car was delivered - no idea if Renault do)

Turns out Renault can no longer repalce the keys.

Suggest to takeit to a garage and have them replace them.

Is it a pretty simple fix? Ideas on a cost?

cheers

probably just an hours labour - depends upon how accessible the heads of the bolts are and what method/s they attempt. if you take the key along, they might be able to weld that up so that it's useable for the job

Cool. Ive been able to glue the key back into the right shape. So hopefulyl they can use that as you say.

How much do replacemnet nuts cost? Just the normal ones, not really fussed about locking ones.

Clio 200 LY/SV650S
i had a punto and same happened, just went to fiat and they used their skeleton key to remove my locking nuts, only catch was had to either buy the tool or buy new lock nuts. Just went scrappy and lobbed standard bolts on as no one wants nab standard alloys these days

Rite il give renault another call tomorow. I guess they should have a few types of the key in their garage. Im not fussed about locking nuts to be fair.

Does anyone know if renault have this facility?

cheers

A mechanice/policeman round the corner has the key just now. He said hel have a look at it and reckons he will be able to drill them out.

If i can get the outer cover on it should be easy. But there is hardly any gap to get anything to wedge it out.

Turns out the guy round the corner couldnt get anywhere so the place where the car was getting the new tyres fitted and mot done are able to do it. All 3 jobs done for no more than £120 they reckon.

Seems pretty good i think. Just hope the brake pads/discs dont need replacing just yet.