ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed - Restoring drive

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I was just formatting a USB stick to make it bootable when I accidentally selected the wrong drive letter and formatted my 3tb harddrive (which was full :cry:)

I have managed to get 2TB back using testdisk, but I am missing 1tb work of data because I don't think testdisk can recover over 2tb.

Anyone know of any software I could use? I'm searching at the moment but any extra help would be great..

Thanks,
STRBramley

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Whats the size show up as in disk management? Try doing a quick format and putting it to NTFS again. If it shows as 3TB after that then the above should work.

Shows as 2048GB NTFS and 746.49GB Unallocated

If I format it though I risk losing the 2tb that isn't lost.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There you have it then!
Do a quick format on the unallocated partition and then use the above to scan it. If that fails dackup what you need and reformat the full disk and try it.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
There isn't an option to do so.

problem.jpg

I think its because I formatted it to mbr which can't go above 2tb and I should have used gpt. But I don't know how to get back to gpt.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Once I can get it to GPT then I can expand the volume to the unallocated space. I just don't know how.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Ok so I have managed to convert the drive to GPT using gptgen.exe and I have extended the drive to the full 3tb.

Now I need to recover the files which are listed as 0bytes.

Ford Focus ST2
does windows 7 still use fdisk?

if so use fdisk to repartition the disk then try and restore,

remember not to overwrite any files to that drive as you will not be about to restore!

Also have you tried Handy Recovery?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
does windows 7 still use fdisk?

if so use fdisk to repartition the disk then try and restore,

remember not to overwrite any files to that drive as you will not be about to restore!

Also have you tried Handy Recovery?

Going to try Handy now. I don't want to format as I've recovered 2tb and I don't want to risk that.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Basically what I have lost is all of the files which I put on since I got my 3tb. Everything I transferred from my 1+2tb hdds is still there

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Photorec is Recovering all my files now. It will take 15 hours and they have files names such as 'f0321802'.

Going to be interesting putting all of the files back into their folders.