ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help please!!

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Long story short, I've lowered my Clio on 40mm apex springs and got new shocks all round whilst I was at it but it turns out the shocks are too long and the springs slightly drop out of location when jacked and wheels drop, the front is fine just the rear, need advice ASAP as too shocks I need too buy as mot due in 11 days, hopefully someone has had same issue and can tell me what too buy, car is a mk2 ph3 1.6

Kayla Tomas

East Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  Mk2Ph1 Clio S 1.4 8V
you can't use lowering springs on standard shocks as they will bottom out

Kayla Tomas

East Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  Mk2Ph1 Clio S 1.4 8V
shorter rear shocks otherwise they'll keep causing you an issue

Kayla Tomas

East Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  Mk2Ph1 Clio S 1.4 8V
not sure, i've always been told to use coil overs as there's less issues, like what you've described as an example

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If it happens on the road your driving way to stupid. Or your shocks have gone.

On track yeah sure, get that with soft coilovers too.

Lots use shocks/springs on the road including me.

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
The springs are only loose when jacked, the reason he would fail it is due to the fact if I flew over a bridge which I wouldn't they could come out of place

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You don’t. The ones you got are probably not for your car

Correct shocks (standard)
Correct springs (aftermarket)

Done.

Have you link to where you bought the stuff?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
If the shocks are the same, then something has been fitted wrong.

Can you take it to a garage to check?

Can you put the old shocks back on and see if it’s ok?

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
They were knackered though, garage weren't really helpful today he just said go back to how it was before. It must be able too be done as loads of people have lowered them just need too know what people that have done it done

Kayla Tomas

East Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  Mk2Ph1 Clio S 1.4 8V
hoi
They were knackered though, garage weren't really helpful today he just said go back to how it was before. It must be able too be done as loads of people have lowered them just need too know what people that have done it done
hope you can get it sorted soon, what garage did you go to ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Take it to another garage to check what’s been done.

Unless it’s completely different to sports replacing standard shocks with aftermarket springs should be straight forward.

@Djw John may help too.

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
They don't fall out just have e excessive play and said it would fail mot because they could fall out if I just took off going over a bridge

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Take it to another garage to check what’s been done.

Unless it’s completely different to sports replacing standard shocks with aftermarket springs should be straight forward.

@Djw John may help too.
The shocks would be fine if the thread on the top of them went further down the shaft I think, as that would pull it all together more

If the springs don't physically fall out and are still located ok then I would of thought they would pass MOT?

I had the same issue with an old car but they were difficult to pull out and this was with the car well off the ground on ramps, hopefully you won't be leaving the ground anytime soon?

I guess swapping the shocks back would eliminate any wrong replacement parts. Knackered or not, once jacked up in the air you can get an idea what's going on.

It's when the shocks are pulled out and fully extended that makes the difference and not so much the resting length.

If both sets of shocks are causing the rear springs to be dangerously loose, then grab some KTEC ones or something as they are cheap enough but unsure on the Sport / 1.6 differences, I would guess the rears are the same tbh

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
No I don't go jumping over bridges haha but he said he would fail it incase I did it would fall back on him, it's when he lifted it on a 4 poster ramp and all weight is taken off, the new shocks I put on were exactly the same length I checked when I had them off. Are the ktec ones shorter in length or just a longer thread on them too tighten more?

For some reason I vaguely remember them selling their own brand coilover shocks standalone but maybe worth a phone call and you can check fitment. They are the cheapest aftermarket I can think of and I found the whole kit ok tbh.

Alternatively look into Sport shocks, but 40mm apex really shouldn't be that bad.

I would bang it in for an MOT at another garage without thinking too much and see what happens

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Was trying too avoid coilovers for expense if I'm honest, I'm worried they would just fail it though and money's a bit tight at the moment, are the sport shocks shorter then?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I remember the lowering springs on my '98 Corsa B being loose enough to remove by hand if you jacked it up, it went through an MOT fine. This was 18 years ago though, so of very little use to you in this situation.