ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URL Rewriting? .HTACCESS?

Basically at work we are setting up an intranet it's being hosted internally on its own machine under it's own ip. To access it you type

say

192.168.2.1/intranet

to get to it (This is an example)

How would I get it to instead of saying

192.168.2.1/intranet to just read intranet? So once the page loads the ip/intranet it then rewrites the url to just read intranet without redirecting anywhere or what not? Like an URL mask.

Cheers guys.

Nick

2.2 bar shed.
As above. Sounds like you want a DNS server that just resolves your search 'site' to 0.1?

Well we just want to hide the IP side of the address. Server 2008 is the mainframe of the company is there a setting on there (the main server) that you can change the DNS on for 1 IP so it hides the IP but keeps the Intranet part? Almost like a Windows Host File?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
You need to run a DNS server and point 'intranet' to the correct ip, if you run the DNS server on the main server, just point it to localhost.

Alternatively add a host file entry on each internal computer that will be accessing the intranet site.

Cheers guys,

The windows machine in question which will host the Intranet is running XAMPP on a fixed IP. So we can set up a DNS (CNAME?) entry that when ever someone types in Intranet it will relocate to Fixed IP/Intranet

?

2.2 bar shed.
CNAME records forward to another domain name. You'll want to add an A record. How many computers are going to be accessing this? As it might just be easier if its a couple to go around and edit the hosts file.

2.2 bar shed.
Oh f**k doing it that way. You'll want to use DNS of some kind then, http://www.simpledns.com/ works well. So does the inbuilt versions in Server 2008/2012.

You'll want to set it to resolve a set list of addresses internally then chuck the rest out to google's or some other DNS servers.

So rather than typing http://192.168.2.1/intranet you just want to type http://intranet ?

Are the client machines all pointing to DNS at present?

That's exactly what I want :) All machines run through the main Server running 2008 that's the main point on the networks. I'm a storeman so can only assume lol! I think they would point to a DNS on that server?

Just follow the instructions in the video I posted?

So using your video I should make an A record that points to IP/intranet.

Yes - if you're already on a domain through the windows 2008 server - just add an A record for 'intranet' and the ip address of the machine

You'll have to go to intranet.[domain name] in your browser but it's better than ip address

So for instance if your domain is called 'workdomain' you would end up going to http://intranet.workdomain/

DCi
So you are volunteering to build your companies intranet? Just tell the network admin guy to make this change for you.

where is this crazy place you work

Noo I didn't make myself clear apologies :). I am helping build the site side of the intranet I know about server side scripts and stuff. Since we was setting up a test server to play with and get things on the roll we decided to play with the idea of letting the other computers look at the intranet if they wanted. So we have to type in the IP/intranet to see the page. Added an entry in the host file on the windows machine we are using to say redirect above address to localhost on this machine.

IT guy didn't like the look of IP/intranet so wanted just intranet. I remembered plenty of network gurus on here, ask the question.

We are just using Joomla for simplicity and ease of use. I know it inside out so makes life easier to work with :) All's it needs is a few links to different places and a clean template... This should be fun.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Theres only so many ways you can say the same thing... Set up a bloody Domain Name Server!

How do you get yourself in these situations Chapster5? IIRC earlier in the year you tried to setup a network and had no idea what to do with that either?! How did that work out btw?

LOL! To be honest this company is dodgy regards to IT the guy we currently have is mearley a desktop support technician he has nothing to do with servers although the past 2 years he's worked here has been trying his best to work them all out and sort them. The previous guy left them all in a heap pretty much random computers doing this dodgy servers doing that... He's slowly getting it back on track if the server problems are minor (a user wants permissions changing, start backups, all that) we get in an external company.

So DNS wise he's not a clue it's not his speciality. He was employed when the other IT guy worked here then the other IT guy left and left all his s**t to the current IT guy who knows not a lot ( when he started anyway) about servers.

Fatty it kind of dies out that turns out my mate only wanted one computer and will slowly build on it he's getting a couple more soon or so I'm told. I get into these situations to learn and try and do things myself :) I'm a nosey git what can I say :).

Tell me about it Phil. Speaking of Phil's we have a Phil in from our server support company for today and tomorrow the IT guy has said he will get him to setup a DNS for us to play with. Result.