ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using 2 routers on one internet connection?

v6
Is this possible??

Currently got a Netgear DG834GT, just upgraded to BT option 3 so now also got a BT Homehub.

My question is: is it possible to have the Netgear router and the Homehub both connected so effectively have two routers? The aim is to have one downstairs and one upstairs as currently get very poor signal in certain areas of the house.

I've had a search on google, and appears this is possible but how do I actually go about it? I'm confuzzled! The routers will not be able to be connected with an ethernet cable, so wireless is the only way.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Get a wireless bridge, i think thats what there called.

Have to do this in my house but luckily we have a network cable running from the router downstairs, outside on side of house and then upstairs to where our other router is. The one upstairs just seemed to know what it had to do when i plugged the network cable in

If you are using 1 ADSL port and want the routers connected wirelessly you need to setup a WDS network, i think netgear routers support this function.

SLK250 CDI
I have two - one supplied by the ADSL co. used as a modem/router/G access point, and a Belkin N router used in 'access point mode' just for my N wireless clients.

Set up two for my in-laws as well - the Sky broadband router had crap wireless range, so disabled the wireless in it and just used it as a modem/router and then a Belkin wireless router connected to it to provide a better wireless range.

clio
correct.. use one as an access point only on the same ntwork - providing you have enough of a signal to see one another they kinda act like a pick up the signal and boost it.

v6
correct.. use one as an access point only on the same ntwork - providing you have enough of a signal to see one another they kinda act like a pick up the signal and boost it.

That's essentially what I'm trying to do. Got the homehub as the 'main' router, then want the Netgear to boost the signal strength.

Slow progress though!