ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using 4g for home internet

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Where I'm moving won't get fibre until 2017.

3 are doing a 4g sim for £23 a month with 1000gb of data on it. Whats to stop me using one in a wireless 4g router to provide internet at home?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Just have to make sure the data can be used for tethering as the 4G router might flag as tethering use. Some providers restrict tethering data to stop exactly why you're doing 😂 just read the terms and check it for sure and check how the router uses the data and you should be fine :up:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
+1 I'm on three with unlimited internet but only 4gb can be used for tethering a month.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
That of course depends on whether its a full mobile contract sim, or just a data only sim

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
There's been a few people who have put enough links in the chain it can't tell if its tethered anymore.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
There's been a few people who have put enough links in the chain it can't tell if its tethered anymore.
Anything's possible mate, but I'd imagine unless they can see a phone as the device being used for big amounts of data each month then questions will be asked. Depending how hard they look, it'd be quite easy to determine this by the type of traffic being sent/received (unless you used a VPN too)

I mean worst case is they give you a warning and then cut you off if you continue so maybe it's worth a go?

In some areas around Brighton 4G is actually faster than my home internet :confused: (both up and downstream with a half decent ping too)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Anything's possible mate, but I'd imagine unless they can see a phone as the device being used for big amounts of data each month then questions will be asked. Depending how hard they look, it'd be quite easy to determine this by the type of traffic being sent/received (unless you used a VPN too)

I mean worst case is they give you a warning and then cut you off if you continue so maybe it's worth a go?

In some areas around Brighton 4G is actually faster than my home internet :confused: (both up and downstream with a half decent ping too)
Well the 4g at the site, gives a sold 50meg down and 20meg up. Its only a £23 month rolling, so getting chucked wouldn't be the end of the world.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
There are 4G broadband providers, EE do a plan, but it's got limited data allowances.

Probably worth a look around.

Yeah I used to be on a £15 per month phone contract with 3 with unlimited tethering. I got through about 860GB in the space of a few months.

They stopped 'The One Plan' and forced us onto other tariffs, but I came out with unlimited everything for £15 (4GB tethering limit). I had to get broadband but I'd had my money's worth 😂

Sorry this post is no help!