ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using existing renault crossovers

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

just in the process of replacing all speakers, can i just use the crossovers that are in place now for the front components?

would have to put one on the tweeters but would the mid bass be ok just plugging in to existing connections?

also the new fronts sit close to the plastic door pod behind the magnet should there be more space to allow for air movement? the speakers have a hole through the magnet for airflow so should i make a hole in the plastic to allow more freedom? just they distort more than i though they would..

so many questions!

Ziel Nurburgring

If you know how to get the dash off(think you said it was removed yesterday), id replace the wire and use the crossover thats supplied with the new components. The Renault ones do a job, but they arent the best in the word. Also give you a chance to replace the wire with some decent stuff, so if you come to amp them up you have equipment upto the job.

The plastic is probably to stop damp/moisture getting into the speakers, so id leave it there.

Polo + Micra

there are no x-overs as such as standard they just use a little capacitor to block the bass (usually mounted on the tweeter).
im sure it will be ok just to plug the speaker into the exsisting plug in the door.

the hole in the back of the speaker is ventilation for the voice coil so it does need a little room.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i think its just too difficult to run a new wire through the door. is this what everyone does?

the tweeter does have a capacitor on it but the mid in the door didnt so does that mean it doesnt have one at all? im not gonna amp them either.

dash is still of btw...

Running new wire through the door is not too difficult, providing you remove the door. I think it took about 2 hours all round, but you will NEED 2 people, one to remove the door pins and one to hold the door, also get some old carpet the rest the door on once its off. You need to drill a hole close the the existing cable coupling ( make sure you remove it first as not to drill through it. If you have any more Questions just let me know.

Speaker distortion is not just down to the speakers. A good cross-over will stop high frequency to the mid/bass as well as lows to the tweeters which will give you clearer definition. If you want to crank the volume up without distortion Id recommend an amp.

excuse me for missing something, but you had to take the door off compleltly to run new wire to the components in the front? how come, I thought you could just run it through following the old wire as long as the panel is off....

Polo + Micra

are you using a after market h/u?

if you are it may help to put a high pass filter on

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

yeah the alpine unit (9831)i have has hlf and lpf, need a new amp tho as mine has died!

there aint no way im taking the door off lol!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Gecko

The wire doesnt actually go through the door, its a strange system of wires and connectors apparently.

I ran new wires.

But you do need to drill through the A pillar which means taking off the door. Taking off the door is easy though.

I made a hole under the connector block for the wire and painted inside to rust proof it, and popped in a donut grommet. I then made a small cut in the bottom of the rubber wire guide that sits between door and car. I ran the speaker wire down the rubber guide and out the cut so only an inch of speaker wire is showing between the bottom of the guide and the grommet in the a-pillar.

Ziel Nurburgring

Im sure most people dont drill there doors, dont get me wrong DM, you may have too, but it seems a bit drastic for a bit of wire

Well...unless you can feed it through solid metal... the renault wiring is a bit weird and runs all over the place, it not really practical to use it unless you fit your tweeters in the door too.

In which case:

Disconnect the factory tweeters (dash off job) to isolate the door speaker wire (there is no factory x-over its just a capacitor fitted to the tweeter to trim off the bass). Connect this into the x-over in the door and then run the tweeters and mids off the x-over.

Is worth water protecting the x-over though as water flow in the door is quite high.

PS do not drill the door, its the A-pillar.

[Edited by dangermouse_se on 10 February 2005 at 3:37pm]

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i put the xover on the tweets and connected the mids up as usual. its just not worth the hassle.

once i get a new amp and have the sub on at a fairly low level ill just use the xover in the HU