ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

UV Screen + Satnav Problem

Clio 182
Hi guys,

I've only owned my 182 for a couple of weeks and last weekend I made my first journey when my sat nav (Road Angel Navigator 6000) was required. I plugged it in, turned it on etc, but couldnt find any GPS signal.

I've never had a problem with it before on my previous car. So I looked in the user manual and it said that it doesnt work with cars with UV screens and I would have to buy a separate antenna to make it work!

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with their Navigator 6000 or any other sat nav? Also is this a common problem with sat navs on the market today as I'm in two minds about buying another one.

Thanks,

Paul.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Alot of people have problems with GPS devices working in their Clios for the very reason you stated . Thats why , if you look in the middle of the screen at the bottom you'll see a small square . This part is where the French use to pay on their toll roads using automatic payment , it's a part of the screen that doesn't have the reflective coating . It's also where i place my Talex speed camera detector which works fine when placed there .

330 Ci
I've just been looking to buy a Road Angel SatNav and came across that about UV windscreens in some of the blurb... interseting to know!... placing that satnav that far forward on the dash is going to be alittle tricky :(.. will be interesting to see how others have got around this!

I had to buy the GPS antenna for my road angel, its in that little square at the bottom of the windscreen. Works fine now, and the antenna was only a £6 job off egay!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Thought it was just old satnavs that used the old technology that had probs?

Always wondered why there was that little square of non blue film. Cheers!

My garmin works in the middle of the screen. Although takes a while to get signal. Ill place it in the square and should be ok now.

PH1 172 Sport
My road angel is very fussy about the screen so I had to get an antenna for it but the tomtom is fine and so is my mobiles GPS.

Clio 182
Thanks for the replies,

FAST_aD13 - I wouldnt bother with a Road Angel, just get a Garmin or a Tom Tom & you wont need to mess about with antenna's etc.

Shadowness - How does the antenna work & what does it consist of? Does it just connect into the nav unit? Does it help? The road angel website says the antenna costs £22.90!!

DrRollo - Yeah my Road Angel is about 3 years old so uses the old technology I guess..

Think I may see if I can get the antenna for cheaper, if not then I may invest in a new Tom Tom.