ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6's?

F**k a dog just checked the insurance on a S1 Elise :dead:

You want to check the equivalent NA VX220... If you can get over the badge snobbery, they are a lot more reasonable.

I'm in the same boat as Rob. I don't think I'd justify the spend on a V6. Would love a TVR as my next car (even an "entry level" 4.0 Chim) but the repair bills are immediately 1000+ at the first sign of something going wrong :(

VX or a 7 esque Kit car to me is the next best alternative for driving thrill.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What would u get Gally? Mk1 or 2? Are u actaully considering the change?

Mk2 only mate. :) As cheeky as it sounds I always fancied the Mk2 and it looks much better.

Nah this thread wasn't about changing mate sadly! I also have a daughter that i'd have to stowaway in the front boot! :eek:

Daniel joking aside I always thought you would have one at some point not sure why. The inner child in you! ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
url

SG9 Forester STi
Those are pretty bad examples :S Blue one is nice as you said apart from the side pods.

I'd LOVE to own a vee and have considered it a lot recently but I honestly couldn't use it like I do the current Clio which is a pain in the bum of it's own as a daily. I'd just want to whack it in a garage for weekend use only, to stick mileage on one would feel criminal lol.

Clio 172
Obviously I was in no way comparing the FRP and the Vee.

It would be a lovely upgrade to be fair. I also know 2 people who run them as daily cars. Which is pretty important to me.

Me and Ali spoke before about how similar the Frp and the Vee are. Mostly parts prices, how they were concieved and how special they are in their own right even though they can be out dragged by a decent diesel these days.

I must disagree with Munson on the Value point. Although much more rare the Vee will definitely be worth more in years to come. I'd say the main reason is how mainstream it is and even the likes of Evo promoting it still to this day.

Very little people even Petrolheads know the Frp even exists! And the people that do, don't know a lot about them. It's nice in a way but when educating them you just come across as if you're bumming your own car.
It's one of the reasons any meet i'm at I give people the keys to it. So at least they can see what the fuss is about or not in some cases.

The FRS engined frp wasn't up to much to be fair. The standard car needs more power I agree, i'm not sure how easy/reliable tb's are but the handling does not go with a turbo'd car. Think of a Trophy with a turbo engine. Loses it appeal for me.

You say people don't realise what the FRP is....

This beaut is owned by some bird over in Ireland - I'm not quite sure she realises what she actually owns.

12092010.jpg

I don't know what the running costs are like with a V6, but they are a lot of money for a FRP, if you're going to service the Alcon's every year like you should it'll cost you a a fair whack to get it done (I know of someone spending a grand getting them overhauled)

Albeit, I'm sure there is some right servicing costs coming with that V6.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
In other words you got poont.

If you would like help getting that hook out your cheek I can be on a flight in 30 minutes. I'll see if I can use DK's private jet fleet.

Those are pretty bad examples :S Blue one is nice as you said apart from the side pods.

I'd LOVE to own a vee and have considered it a lot recently but I honestly couldn't use it like I do the current Clio which is a pain in the bum of it's own as a daily. I'd just want to whack it in a garage for weekend use only, to stick mileage on one would feel criminal lol.

Yeah i'd love it to be just a weekend car but unless money was no problem i'd rather have just one car that can do all. Like I said I know 2 people who run them daily. He even had his out in the snow up here.

The Blue one is rather stunning I must say.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You say people don't realise what the FRP is....

This beaut is owned by some bird over in Ireland - I'm not quite sure she realises what she actually owns.

12092010.jpg

I don't know what the running costs are like with a V6, but they are a lot of money for a FRP, if you're going to service the Alcon's every year like you should it'll cost you a a fair whack to get it done (I know of someone spending a grand getting them overhauled)

Albeit, I'm sure there is some right servicing costs coming with that V6.

Lols!! That looks better than mine... I jest of course.

The costs to run a Puma are minimal apart from new parts. It's a 300% Fiesta iirc.
The Alcons can be serviced for £100 + some parts by the guy on the forum. He even sends back painted calipers!

£1000! You must be mental!

SG9 Forester STi
Yeah i'd love it to be just a weekend car but unless money was no problem i'd rather have just one car that can do all. Like I said I know 2 people who run them daily. He even had his out in the snow up here.

The Blue one is rather stunning I must say.

It's cool that you know people who use them as a daily, i'd just be petrified of dents and the usual dodgy suspects out on the road especially as they undoubtedly draw more attention than your average car.

I think it's something I'll consider after I get to the right age insurance wise. For the moment I'm not allowed anymore cars lol!

LOL gally, you can't hook a pro fisherman.

I just felt like responding to your comment because it was retarded and out of context.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's cool that you know people who use them as a daily, i'd just be petrified of dents and the usual dodgy suspects out on the road especially as they undoubtedly draw more attention than your average car.

I think it's something I'll consider after I get to the right age insurance wise. For the moment I'm not allowed anymore cars lol!

It's all plastic, would be mighty hard to dent a V6!

LOL gally, you can't hook a pro fisherman.

I just felt like responding to your comment because it was retarded and out of context.

I tried.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Intresting thread.

I love the V6 and determined to own but as said it would be as a second car and garaged.

I think its crazy how much you can get them for (not that I'm complaining) but as Gally said I think these will be classics and worth a lot more in years to come, just like the GT Turbo 2. I love them for what they are and the engineering behind it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If I could find one at Daniel-prices, I'd buy one.

Wick - Sounds like me and you want very similar things next, will make for interesting run's out in the future!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You want to check the equivalent NA VX220... If you can get over the badge snobbery, they are a lot more reasonable.

I'm in the same boat as Rob. I don't think I'd justify the spend on a V6. Would love a TVR as my next car (even an "entry level" 4.0 Chim) but the repair bills are immediately 1000+ at the first sign of something going wrong :(

VX or a 7 esque Kit car to me is the next best alternative for driving thrill.

Tbf I prefer the look of the VX220 but it's no cheaper on insurance:dapprove:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have either tbh! The FRP always gets a 'wow' reaction from me on the uber-rare time that I see one. Mind you, the V6 is pretty special too.

They will both be classics, once the well looked-after examples float to the surface. I do think they are completely different cars in terms of driving style however. I've driven the Mk2 V6, but never a FRP - but on that blat around the Scottish Highlands I did in April, I think I would have picked the FRP as the car of choice. The V6 is far more of a cruiser - much more happy in 6th and sat at 60mph on a National Speed Limit, or higher on a motorway - than being flung into corners and sweeping bends. The V6 is fairly hefty - and you feel that weight transfer when pressing on. I'm guessing that the FRP easily copes with rapid changes in direction quite easily?

However, with the windows down - that V6 wail behind is so, so addictive!

D.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yup the sound is definitely not comparible! I'd need a decent exhaust on my Vee though!

The FRP engine sounds like a toilet flushing in comparison to the Vee.

Can I just say the Vee actually felt more docile to run to work than the Frp is. Even with the engine right behind your head it never felt uncomfortable and I could hold a conversation just fine at normal speeds. Only once pressing on would it be intrusive in a good way. I was very surprised at how quiet and easy it was to drive.

^ I found very similar in all honesty. Elise was pure extortion on insurance but the VX was actually on my maybe list before the 182. Only a hundred or so difference in insurance cost. Only thing that restricted me was my initial spending budget didn't quite stretch to a decent example. Certainly in the pipeline for me over the next few years :)

How bad is insurance on a V6? Reasonable for the performance or does the rarity factor come into play?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'm stupid I was looking at the turbo, still was 2200 for the N/A, how about no S40 t5 thanks

Clio 172
What is wrong with the picture of the Puma that someone posted?

Its in a very sorry state.

The Ford scene voted the Mk5 Fiesta Zetec-S as one of the best handling Fiesta's built, and the Puma is based on the same chassis - Then Tickford got hold of 500 of them and with a couple of triangle pieces welded in here and there, 225 tyres, Ford Racing Dampers and a wider track turned the FRP into a phenomenal handling car.

Its not great in a straight line, but through some corners and it'll have you beaming from ear to ear.

I've heard the FRP isn't the move comfortable car to do long distances - I remember gally, you bought yours London way and drove it back to Scotland right? apparently the Sparco's aren't that comfortable long distance, but hold you really well when cornering etc - IIRC those seats still go for £550 second hand.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They were actually spoke of as one of the most comfotable sports seats on the market when released. I agree. I've been on lots of long trips and i've never had any problems.

My millennium Recaros were actually worse on my back than the Sparcos are. So definitely not uncomfy. Infact they're pretty good when I think of other cars i've driven that have left me feeling a little strained around the lower back.

Millennium seats...

AETV54836552_8b.jpg

Sparcos...

racing-puma-botw-interior2.jpg

Clio 172
That's fair - I've only heard it from other people as I've never owned one although quite of a few of my mates have, one still does!

I just heard a couple moan about them over quite a distance.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
On the topic of V6s theres a 2002 mars red with really nice cream leather and noble steering wheel on pistonheads for £7600, is this one of the members on here or does anyone know the car as i may go and view it open to opinions please