ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Aux drive Belt Change - Urgent

Clio 1.8 16V
I'm having trouble changing the belt!

I've worked from the haynes manual and followed all their instructions.

I losened the tensioner pully bolt using an allen key and undid the pully anti-clockwise. It seemed that the tension on the belt wasn't changing at all.. I managed to pull the old belt off as it was very loose anyway.

The new belt is in place ready to tightened.. The pully will tighten but its not tensioning the belt!!

Any ideas? Has my tensioner pully had it?

Urgent! I could really do with my car tommorrow!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
You undo the allen key in the middle of the tensioner, then turn the 22M one way or the other to tension or loosen the belt etc! your sure the tensioner isnt moving? and the new belt isnt too long or anything daft?

Trophy
A common problem is for the teeth to be sheared off that the pulley should run along, if these are missing it won't tension.

Mat.

Clio 1.8 16V
That must be it.. when I use the 22mil spanner its just feels like its slipping. All it does is move the pully in or out.. Not forward and back which i assume it should do.

Does this mean a new pully? Are they cheap and easy to replace?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Is anything easy to replace on a valver?! someone on here will no how much they are im sure!!

Clio 1.8 16V
Also.. To shed some more light.. When i slacked off the pully using the alen key, then tried to loosen the tension with the spanner.. all it did was make the pully loose and wobble like the whole thing was about to come off.. Is this normal or can anyone confirm that its basically shagged.

Mondeo TDCI 130
when you undid the allen key the 22m didnt moove aswell did it? i would say you have undone the allen key to much, if its to loose it will never tighten up? you nly need to undo the allen key a bit!!

Clio 1.8 16V
The allen key was extremly tight.. i only undid it till it was slack.. maybe 1/2 a turn, not even that. Didn't notice if the 22 moved or not.. When i try and move the 22 it goes tight then feels like it slips. is there a way i can check, like removing the pully to have a good look or something?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Try removing the pulley and see what the teeth are like!! if there well chewed its goosed! make sure it isnt seized etc etc!!

Trophy
That must be it.. when I use the 22mil spanner its just feels like its slipping. All it does is move the pully in or out.. Not forward and back which i assume it should do.

Does this mean a new pully? Are they cheap and easy to replace?

It wouldn't be the pulley that needs replacing it would be the bracket thats attached to the engine, not an easy job!

Mat.

Trophy
Try removing the pulley and see what the teeth are like!! if there well chewed its goosed! make sure it isnt seized etc etc!!

As said here, remove the pulley and see what the teeth are like, that will give you a starting block.

Mat.

Clio 1.8 16V
Right.. Finally found time to take the pully off.. Guess what i found? Yes, the teeth were gone (off the bracket attached to the engine)!! Gutted!! Anyone know how to fix this probelm??

Last edited:
  Clio 1.8 16V
Yeah.. I have gathered that, It looks to me like the bracket is a part of the block, like it was cast into it originally, can you talk me through the process, just pretty basic though so i get the idea?

williams and trophy
or u could tighten the pulley as far as it will go, and elongate the hole in the black bracket/side of fanimold, to see if it will pull up a bit tighter.;)

valver
leave the pully where it is, undo the top bolt on the alternator and swing it round. then should tention up when you locate the to bolt through the hole.(top one you undid)