ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver clutch problem - whats the best clutch?

MK1 Clio 16v
Hi there,

When i bought my valver, it had a really stiff clutch in there, which i'm guessing was probably an uprated one, but eventually it died after too much abuse.

So, i had a new clutch fitted as well as head gasket, full service carried out etc, at my local garage, and it's now running fine.

However i notice the clutch seems to be extremely weak. The pedal is really light now just like most other cars which is nice and makes it much nicer to drive.

There's a problem though. Pulling away seems really uncomfortable, i have to be gentle with the power as if i put too much down the clutch will slip and i'll get the horrible smell of burning clutch. It's especially difficult when pulling off on a hill as i have to put more power down, and even when my foot is competely off the clutch pedal it still slips until i get up to speed and then it'll grip properly.

I'm guessing it's a faulty clutch? I've only had it for around 2 months and i've done nothing to kill the clutch. I took it very easy for the first 1000 miles or so with the new headgasket and clutch. If i pull off really gently then hammer it, it'll be fine, but sometimes slips when changing gear as well. Surely this shouldn't happen with a new clutch?

I'm seriously worried it's going to burn out soon so i think i should take it back to the garage and get them to fit a new one, but obviously i don't want to be charged for it.

I've lost faith in the clutch that has been put in and i'm worried about the new one being just as weak.

Can anyone recommend a good strong clutch i can put in that won't make the pedal too heavy?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Its the clutch cable - dont fit an imitation one as there crap. Fit a genuine clutch cable from Renault £14.55 7700829067 and a new clutch pedal stop £1.42 7700829101. Also is the clutch pedal ratchet mechanism ok - these also are common for breaking £20.11 7701467633. Also when you press the clutch down get someone to measure the travel of the clutch fork to see if its moving the full distance - if not it will be the way the new cable has been routed. If its routed wrong it wont open fully giving the problems you have. When you buy a new cable from renault instructions on how to route it come with the cable.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
The clutch pedal on my CUP is a bit stiff and creeks a bit.

I find it very springy and therefore easy to stall in traffic.

I take it it's not the clutch its self but may be a probelm with the cable.

MK1 Clio 16v
Are you sure that it was the cable that made the clutch stiff before? I thought an uprated clutch would have been stiffer and had more pressure etc? I don't really know a great deal about clutches.

The thing is, i don't think the guy at the garage fitted a new clutch cable or anything like that, as far as i know he just fitted the new clutch and that was it.

It's going back to that garage for its MOT tomorrow so i'll mention it to him then and see if he can sort it.

I'm just hoping i haven't damaged my clutch too much already.. :(

CS Dungeon
Mine has a Gp N Uprated clutch and the clutch isnt heavy.

It was heavy up untill 2 weeks when my clutch cable snapped....now its replaced with a new Renault cable its nice and light.

So yes, i'd say it is the cable making it heavy.

Oh and as said above, do not buy a patterned part, only buy genuine Renault cable. You may need a spacer too as my cable was a bit long

MK1 Clio 16v
I see. Thanks for the advice.

It's going back to the garage either tomorrow or friday so i'll mention it to him then and see what he thinks it is. Hopefully it'll be something simple as it's really annoying me at the moment. Pulling off on a hill is a bit of a nightmare as it slips quite a bit, and pulling away from a junction with a bit of power or from a standstill just results in a slipping clutch!

Hopefully it'll just be the cable or something!

Valver
Imitation cable definately makes it a lot heavier, had same problem on my old RT, fitted a genuine Renault cable, much lighter!