ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver front brake area - whats this?

MK1 Clio 16v
I was fixing an annoying rattle in the bottom of the engine bay yesterday which involved pulling the arch linings out from my right front arch.

I noticed that theres a black bar, connecting to the bottom of where the disc bolts on to (or near there), which seems to go through some rubber mounts at the back of the engine and out which connects to the other side in the same place.

On the left side, it's bolted on at the bottom, but on the right side the bolt seems to have snapped off so it's just hanging there and not connected to anything.

Now i've owned this valver for almost a year now and i've never noticed anything strange, no vibrations, doesn't pull left or right, nothing like that, and i drive it quite hard at times.

I'm quite worried about it though as obviously it's supposed to be bolted on.

Any ideas what it could be?

I'll sort out pics when i get home later if need be.

Cheers folks!

yeh i had this on mine - they go quite easily - as far as i know, its one of the wishbone bolts - you need to bolt it back though - if you nip into renault they can get the part for you - thats how i did mine - they should be able to get hte bolt and the rubber mount for you - shouldnt cost more than 20 quid i rekon? go and find out.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Anti roll bars, u need a new bushes.

Edit: easy to fix and less then 20 notes

MK1 Clio 16v
Yeah that looks like the one.

The problem is, the entire bottom section that holds it on is missing, looks like it's snapped?

Would this make it difficult to change?

Also, i've never noticed it causing a problem, is it risky with it not being connected? Whats the worst that could happen?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
cliokiz said:
Yeah that looks like the one.

The problem is, the entire bottom section that holds it on is missing, looks like it's snapped?

Would this make it difficult to change? No, just buy the bushes, go to Renault for them, take wheel off, take old ones off, put new one on (bolt included in pack) and tighten to 20Nm, (Anti-roll bar to lower arm bolt)

Also, i've never noticed it causing a problem, is it risky with it not being connected? Whats the worst that could happen?
it had gone on mine when i bought it, only noticed a difference when i had a drive in my mates valver, steering feels tighter with less body roll.

Worse that could happen? roll your car at 90 round a bend?!? they are there for a reason, just dont boot it round tight bends...

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
cliokiz said:
Funny thing is it has just had an MOT and passed... back in May

Mine did too funny enough, would of thought it was a mot fail though, or it happen days after..

MK1 Clio 16v
What do i need to ask for from Renault? New anti roll bar bushes?

Cheers for all your help, much appreciated.

MK1 Clio 16v
Will do, thanks!

I'll add that to my list,

New fogs
New rear wheel bearings,
New anti roll bar bushes & bolt

.. sigh!