ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver MOT failure!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Only bought the beast a few weeks ago so was gutted to hear when the garage I took it to told me it would be £800 for the MOT!!!

Im gonna put whats down on the MOT failure sheet down and if anyone can give us some advice on how to get parts/work done cheaper it would be greatfully appreciated.

Im gonna get some other quotes from other garages as well but;

Here's the shizzle.

1) Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted).

2) Nearside front anti-roll bar linkage fractured

3) Nearside front brake pipe excessivley corroded

4) Offside front brake pipe excessivley corroded

5) (near side load sensor) brake pipe excessivley corroded

6) Offside front (on inner face) brake disc excessivley pitted

7) Rear brake disc excessivley pitted

8) Nearside rear (sill) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessivley corroded.

If anyones got any hints and tips let us know!

Cheers.

leeds_182 said:
1) Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted).

Common problem. I changed my steering column for a new item and it's now perfect. You can weld the existing, worn column tho.. I'm sure someone else will recommend that (and it's much cheaper)

3) Nearside front brake pipe excessivley corroded

Common problem - GSF Car Parts or Euro Car Parts..

7) Rear brake disc excessivley pitted
Maybe your caliper needs a service. I'd get proper Renault rear discs tho, cus' they have the bearing already pressed in so less hassle. But, I'd also have a look at the caliper..

8) Nearside rear (sill) suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessivley corroded.

Again, common problem.. You'll just have to get that welded up.

Daz.

Hmm, a bit.. but then, some things if they got new items wouldn't be cheap.

Steering column is £100-£150 I think from Renault? (And it'd be a swine to fit)

Sill welding - again, depends where.. you may need to paint it afterwards.

Caliper service isn't that much at all.. nor are brake pipes. May have to replace the rear disc, which would be done in pairs anyway.

Soo, to me, I'd be getting a 2nd opinion on the price of fixing it.
We once had a quote on an MX-3 V6 to "get through it's MOT" - it was £900.

Went rung round, and paid £100 i think in the end (AND, that included the MOT cost.. just because we didn't get a free retest cus' we didn't take it back)

So yea.. it's worth ringing round :)

Daz said:
Hmm, a bit.. but then, some things if they got new items wouldn't be cheap.

Steering column is £100-£150 I think from Renault? (And it'd be a swine to fit)

Sill welding - again, depends where.. you may need to paint it afterwards.

Caliper service isn't that much at all.. nor are brake pipes. May have to replace the rear disc, which would be done in pairs anyway.

Soo, to me, I'd be getting a 2nd opinion on the price of fixing it.
We once had a quote on an MX-3 V6 to "get through it's MOT" - it was £900.

Went rung round, and paid £100 i think in the end (AND, that included the MOT cost.. just because we didn't get a free retest cus' we didn't take it back)

So yea.. it's worth ringing round :)
I would have taken it back just to be a smug, caught-you-out b*****d lol

Then I'd have reported them to trading standards ;)

clio 16v
there is a steering rack on ebay at the moment i'm sure, and rear discs arent that much. and can be done in apprx 1hour, braided brake lines all round are 45 quid from k tec. 800 quid seems way too much mate.
offering to pay cash will always help you get a better price ;o)
not got any local trusted mechanics that will do the work for you?

Is it definetly the rack?
You'd need to check before buying..

When it's at the steering wheel, mine was the column. (and it's a common problem, too)

S2000
It'll almost definately be the column if theres play in the steering wheel - just get it welded, will only be about £30 - the price he gave you probably included as brand new column which would be well over £100 iirc. The anti-roll bar linkage is also very common on clios, my 1.4 failed it's MOT on this. The parts for that are about £3 and fitting should only be about £20 at most. Best bet would, imo, be to try and get someone off the site to do most of the work for you as the likes of new discs etc is pretty straightforward - but you will probably have to go elsewhere for the welding of the sills, which coudl be quite pricy.

Mondeo STTDCI
I cannot believe another member sold you that thing. How much did you pay for it!

leeds_182 said:
2) Nearside front anti-roll bar linkage fractured
4) Offside front brake pipe excessivley corroded

5) (near side load sensor) brake pipe excessivley corroded

6) Offside front (on inner face) brake disc excessivley pitted
If there on about that metal clip then they shouldn't be much new £10 at worse won't take long to change.

Brake pipes are easy to change. Just takes time.

Rear disks can be expensive best try giving the handbrakes a bit fo a work out to knock some of the rust off.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Should be able to get most parts at a reasonable price and fit them easilly anough yourself. Only problem would be the required welding. You'd probably have to get someone to do that for you.

EP3 Civic Type R
800 squids for that list above? Think the garage have seen you coming there...or is there more?

You can rebuild and engine for that price etc etc... that seems VERY steep and a slightly stupid price to me.

And maybe people should stop being so harsh towards the 'other member'

Leeds182- you must be pissed off to fek and rightly so but a car is sold as seen AND I still think that quote is laughable

CS Dungeon
Dave said:
I cannot believe another member sold you that thing. How much did you pay for it!

Why not, he may of been unaware of the work that may or may not be required.

Sold as seen im affraid....maybe Leeds_182 should of got the AA/RAC 110 point inspection or whatever it is.

That said im gutted for you mate and if you was closer i'd happily fit all the parts for you bar the welding the sill for a days labour of £50.

You could get that fixed for sub £300 imo....Chin up

clean up and cover the rusty brake lines in copper grease

if they cant see the corrosion they cant fail the car for it.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
^^ Can be a good idea, However on a valver that age i wouldn't fancy a brake line going pop!

Paul

www.renparts.co.uk
get some hamerite waxoyl underseal and cover all the brake lines in it. Then theyre protected and covered, same on the corrosion, bit of filler and then over with underseal lol. What they can't see etc ;)