ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vein's Black 330Ci Sport

Never above 25mpg
Had a couple nice packages in the post today :D

Eibach Prolines and some Bilstein OEM rear shocks (will get fronts at a later date)

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Never above 25mpg
So, on Saturday morning Ali Bailey fitted my front and rear springs and new bilstein rear shocks.

One of the shocks had a plastic cover worn through and was dented so it was a good thing I bought the new ones.

Unfortunately I have a creaking at the rear whenever I go over a large dip or a speedbump from the O/S rear and I thought the above would fix it but not so!

I posted a thread on E46Zone after I noticed the O/S rear was a bit lower than the N/S, they seemed to think it was very common on most E46s due to the fact it's a LHD car and because of the 50/50 weight distribution it compensates when the driver is in the car (although no good for RHD).

People seemed to think the only way to cure it is via coilovers but someone mentioned a rear spring pad so that was my next purchase!

£8+ VAT and the standard Sport spring pads at the back are 5mm, as the parts man at Wellsway Bath put it the "Poor suspension package" has the 14.5mm spring pad so hopefully this should cure it, I'll attempt to fit it on Sunday morning!

Also I bought a new key as I didn't have a spare, and with the IOW Festival 7 days away I would've hated to lose my key and not get home!

So... to summarise, as with most cars, lots of money spent and not much to show!

You'll notice the rear slant here (its not just the driveway!)
IMG_0690-1.jpg

Nearside - Standard height (after the 15mm drop)
IMG_0692-1.jpg

Offside - Standard but with the extra sag
IMG_0691-1.jpg

New rear spring pad
IMG_0697.jpg

New key :D
IMG_0696.jpg

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Err hopefully mine arrives soon! See you at the front for Pearl Jam :drunk:

Never above 25mpg
How much was the new key?!? I'd like a shiny new one!

Well... £138.40 roughly! Part# B66.12.6.955.749

Coding literally took less than 15 seconds, the parts guy sat in my car, pressed buttons multiple times in a certain way on the new key and it's all working!

I was only conscious of possibly losing or having the only key I had for the car stolen at the IOW, so quickly went and ordered it on Tuesday.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
These Bmw's the same ones where people have been connecting up to the OBD and starting them via that?

This is what my 1 Series owning friend was telling me anyway?

Never above 25mpg
How much was the key without coding? :eek:

Think it's all included in the price ;) Nothing on the invoice about coding! They might charge you scene tax for having a droptop and also being in London!

These Bmw's the same ones where people have been connecting up to the OBD and starting them via that?

This is what my 1 Series owning friend was telling me anyway?

I have no idea on that!

Never above 25mpg
So... didn't lose my key thankfully.

What a s**t weekend for mud!! Saw some brilliant acts though, The Stranglers were the favourite for me!

I packed it in tight... the camping gear and booze anyway, unfortunately didn't fit the rear spring pad so got uber scrapage on the way down!!

Good fun though apart from the waterlogged field, arrived early anyway so only queued for 40 minutes compared to some poor b******s queuing for alot longer!!

IMG_0704.jpg

HPIM0126.jpg

HPIM0027.jpg

HPIM0067.jpg

HPIM0106.jpg

HPIM0110.jpg

Never above 25mpg
Another small update, only minor but something had to cheer me up before work this morning!

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Not 100% perfect font wise but it looks alot better than the old sticker! :D

Think I may be getting a brand new Scorpion backbox too this week if I can just press "Buy it Now" off eGay.

Never above 25mpg
Again... nothing exciting! Bought one harman kardon door handle (for improved aesthetics) but I kind of need the other one... :eek:

IMG_0728.jpg

I have been playing with saving for a red leather interior but the car's not special enough I wouldn't say for one.

Ordered some dash clips and some grab handle blanks from Cotswold BMW today too so they should be here shortly!

Going to hopefully get Chris Powell from here to cover stuff in carbon fibre and then carry on with the grey/black theme with black carpet, black dash, black centre console and black seat backs and parcel shelf!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Dont they come as standard..;)

I'm on a PB with mine at the moment. 340 miles and still have 1/4 of a tank. Granted its been 98% motorway.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I honestly think I'm going to get 400 miles from this tank. 100% genuine but as I say it's all motorway on my commute to gatwick from the sw. Either that or something's up with my trip computer..I don't think I've seen 300 before..haha

Never above 25mpg
Soo... bigger update from me!

I've been contemplating a Dynavin/Andrive ever since I bought the car but considering the car's not really worth much I didn't think it was worth spending a sixth of the value on something I wouldn't be able to use in another vehicle!

I also managed to snap the grab handle blanks on the headlining off as the previous owner had used some dodgy superglue so new covers and blanks from BMW were much welcomed!

Back to the stereo though... I was browsing eBay and came across the iDA-X305s, fairly decent headunit, not the best looking but it did what I actually wanted the Dynavin/Andrive to do which was to read the iPod and play music through it.

The standard headunit is an odd thing. As you may see in Halfords there are cheap fascias which sit the stereo over to the left and there's this big blank gap on the right hand side which also looks cheap!

BMW do actually have their own centrally located fascia for an OEM Becker headunit so I had to buy it! This meant hacking the old stereo's fitment in the original setting but it's done the job and all fitted!

Also had to take the whole centre console apart just to route the USB extension lead so I could put the iPod in the sunglasses compartment!

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Up next... new gloss trims hopefully and new speakers and LED rears...! All in time!

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Liking that, got a part number on the panel and a cost?

Was it a faff to get the wiring to fit back in behind the stereo with the centered position?

Never above 25mpg
Thanks, I had to hacksaw and then sand down the inside of the original cage so it would fit normally but the adaptor screws into the original holes and then you've got the cage for the headunit itself.

To answer your question though (no idea why I wrote the above) yes it was a bit of a pain in the arse, what I ended up doing was leaving the climate panel out, putting the extra wiring behind that and sort of looping it round as that was the only place that there was space for the wiring!

The part number is 65900390317 it's £45.71 including VAT from BMW but as I'm from E30Zone.net I got a little discount with Cotswold BMW.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

On bimmerforums and they offer the same discount too, just weighing up the best purchase so could well do something similar! It looks better than the off centred kits!

Never above 25mpg
They do actually do a factory cage which compliments the central fascia but it's an extra £65 and for the sake of about an hours worth of work I couldn't justify it

Never above 25mpg
Cheers James, only acceptable soft top is an M3 and if I had one I'd still regret not getting the coupé!

Adding to the Alpine theme, got some SXE-1750s. 6.5" 16.5cm speakers! Hopefully will fit with not too much modification!

Cheap from caraudiodirect and come with replacement tweeters too! Ideal for the front doorcards!

IMG_0795.jpg

Would like a replacement black front door card to tidy the driver's side up though ideally!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Good updates mate... I really fancy a 330 :( must. stay. away. from. pistonheads. classifieds.

If a good Imola one comes up I WILL NOT be able to say no haha

Never above 25mpg
Definitely get an Imola Dan, get rid of that JapCrap ;) !

Cheers Rob!

Been quiet this week, buying parts from eBay and waiting... planning to get alot of things done all at once!

Sent some parts to Spray Shack, my spare door handles, dash trims and gearknob surround to be painted piano black... was an option of choice on BMWs, don't know if it was a cost option but I need to get rid of my shoddy carbon cubed ones!

1.jpg

Got this picture sent through so am uber excited :D

Also have been working on the speakers and making sure they fit in the OEM slots.

Tweeters were easy enough, with the spare set pushed the old ones out and then used a drill just to widen the gap and sand paper to perfect!
I didn't want to use silicone or anything just incase I upgraded again so they're in nice and tight!

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

The speakers themselves are quite shallow which is good but the magnet is bigger so I'm expecting improved quality rather than loudness!

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

They're actually the same size as the old speakers so I needed to find a way to get them mounted.

At first tried cutting an old piece of doorcard up to make a mount but it ended badly, poorly cut, poorly sized and just not worth anymore effort.

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Having a spare pair of speakers I just decided to cut the speakers out and use the existing mounts and drill the new speakers into them.

IMG_0821.jpg

Yet to find out how it will work out but I should be getting the refurbed door trims back next week and also a new doorcard as the one I have on at the moment isn't to satisfaction!

Never above 25mpg
After receiving my bits from Spray Shack I just couldn't wait to get the first bits fitted!!

Also received a new door card through the post as the old one had a few things I wasn't happy with (cracked speaker grille and also material nicked on one side).
Nice corner of my new door card :D

IMG_0826.jpg

So up until now I've spent the morning undoing the old door card, drilling out the material from the new one and then replacing the leather into the new one!

Before
IMG_0572.jpg

After
IMG_0837.jpg

Before
b6c7dd6c.jpg

After
IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Photo of the iPod in it's home :D

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Also refitted the stereo with new steering controls.

I will do the rear trims soon, especially as the door card has been coming away for ages and it needs a few screws in the back of it!

IMG_0841.jpg

Next time, LED rear lights finallyy!!

Never above 25mpg
Thanks people! Keeps me happy! Tom you would spoil it! I want to go and wrap cling film round the handles now.