ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vein's Black 330Ci Sport

Never above 25mpg
So... I'll try and make this short.

Had the 172 for 2.5 years and made a thread about trying to sell and keeping it and being happy etc. but decided it was getting on a bit and I wanted something more mature.

I'd had a 1990 E30 320i before but that needed too much work and I then bought a 2003 E46 318Ci but that was too slow and gutless despite the brilliant condition it was in.

Naturally the next step was a 330Ci in E46 form.

My dad had got one about 7 months ago and the comfort and power levels were exactly what I was after but his was in the most common colour of silver with black leather so I naturally wanted something slightly different.

Restricted by the sale of the Clio I'd been looking around for black ones, preferably with black leather and no wood trim (which was quite difficult) and then saw this one about 80 miles away.

Thankfully the Clio sold last Thursday so I phoned the dealer up, arranged a viewing and PX'ed the 318Ci against this.

Uber happy now! I do mainly town driving so don't expect to see much better mpg than an R27 but it's what I wanted so all is good ;) !

Going to be a mini project too as it's got a few things I want to change and personalise but nothing obscene!

To Do:
  • Private Plates
  • New wheel badges
  • Possibly tinted indicators
  • Rust on wheel arch (very common fault)
  • New dash trims or sprayed or carbon covered
  • Clubsport Gearknob
  • New gearknob gaitor and handbrake gaitor
  • CD Changer or Business CD headunit
  • BBS CHs (possibly) when the tyres run out
The wheels were refurbed by the dealer and he had new tyres put on but they're quite cheap so I'm driving it quite casually in the rain.

vein3301.jpg

vein3302.jpg

vein3303.jpg

vein3304.jpg

vein3305.jpg

Bux

Golf GTD
Utter shed ;)

Looks good mate, I think I would have preferred black leather though haha

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Nice upgrade!The rust issue, how you going to resolve it? Is it a new wing jobby or you just going to get that one repaired? Reason being my dads 330 has the same problem.

Never above 25mpg
Nice upgrade!The rust issue, how you going to resolve it? Is it a new wing jobby or you just going to get that one repaired? Reason being my dads 330 has the same problem.

Thanks, it's just a bit of bubbling so probably just needs sanding, filling and spraying, hopefully around £100 of work. Dad has the same problem on his 330 so hopefully we'll get a discount on two jobs at once ;)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Lovely, how much was it? im so tempted to get one atm as i was offerd £££££ for the audi today. That rust is bad bad bad though. Why have you coverd the plate aswel gay boy?

Never above 25mpg
Lovely, how much was it? im so tempted to get one atm as i was offerd £££££ for the audi today. That rust is bad bad bad though. Why have you coverd the plate aswel gay boy?

Was advertised for £5k Ali! Rust is alright, common fault! I'm getting my private plate on soon and it'll look better with them ;)

Clio 197
Love them in black, they seem to fetch a bit more ££££ too than the silver.

The one I test drove at the weekend had a slight rust patch on the n/s front and o/s rear, very common but easily fixed :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks, it's just a bit of bubbling so probably just needs sanding, filling and spraying, hopefully around £100 of work. Dad has the same problem on his 330 so hopefully we'll get a discount on two jobs at once ;)

It will come back in 12 months time.

For the sake of a few quid, i'd get a new wing. At least you know its done properly.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks lovely, would have preferred black leather though.

As Daniel says though, get a new wing, they rust from the inside out, so making it look pretty on the outside will not solve the problem ;)

Clio 197
Looks lovely, would have preferred black leather though.

As Daniel says though, get a new wing, they rust from the inside out, so making it look pretty on the outside will not solve the problem ;)

what about repairing the rear?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks alright that. That's bad rust though by the looks of things. Def new wing time.

Never above 25mpg
Thanks people. Yeah got a quote from a BMW dealer of £170 + or inc VAT for a wing probably unsprayed so that will be a job for next Friday's payday.

Never above 25mpg
Things are slow but I've had quite a few things to pay out for this month inlcuding the oil service and tax on this beast.

Updates so far:

• Private Plate
  • CD Changer
Might end up doing silvervisions too at some point :eek:

drive3.jpg

drive2.jpg

drive1.jpg

Never above 25mpg
So.. slow week this week! Busy at work and bought my IOW festival ticket so only some minor things to the 330!

Now this wouldn't be ClioSport without some silver visions so it'd be a crime not to fit them ;)

tu1.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu4.jpg

And some nice new BMW logo badges for the wheels.

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

cc3.jpg

All in the minor details!!

Thinking about some depo smoked indicators next or colour coded grilles but both together would make it look cheap!?

Next payday should be:
  • New Wing
  • Club Sport Gear knob

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How easy was the changer to fit?

And do you know if the Business CD is able to take a lead for my ipod?

Never above 25mpg
How easy was the changer to fit?

And do you know if the Business CD is able to take a lead for my ipod?

Took an hour but I could probably do it in less time, it's literally removing the boot trim on the inside, attaching the changer and screwing it in then sticking the trim back in!

Possibly but I haven't looked into it, I imagine it'd plug in where the CD changer plugs in the back of the CD player.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Thats the first ive heard about rust being a common fault on them, mine doesnt have any ! Sure its not your typical BMW thats got crash damage history ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thats the first ive heard about rust being a common fault on them, mine doesnt have any ! Sure its not your typical BMW thats got crash damage history ?

Its not 'really common' as such, but its not unheard of.

Mines an 04 plate and as far as I can see, its not got any whatsoever. My parents neighbour has an 03 plate and both front wings have been replaced under waranty as they've had it from new.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Took an hour but I could probably do it in less time, it's literally removing the boot trim on the inside, attaching the changer and screwing it in then sticking the trim back in!

Possibly but I haven't looked into it, I imagine it'd plug in where the CD changer plugs in the back of the CD player.

So all of the wires are already in there? Thats good news.

Never above 25mpg
So all of the wires are already in there? Thats good news.

Yeah wires for CD changer are in all BMWs iirc, not sure from which date onwards but seeing as yours is newer than mine they should be there!

It's a bit like the steering wheels on the Clios tbh, nothing major but it happens.

Coming along mate!

Cheers Fletch :D

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
ahh rite ive never heard of it. Mines on my mates ramps at the moment and i had a good look around mine and its clean as a whistle.

I'm having my Eisennmann Race exhaust system finally fitted :approve:.

Got to love the bmw's

Never above 25mpg
Soo.. not really any updates as of recent.

Been to a couple meets, also got a replacement foglight cover (as I never realised I was missing it until recently*)

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg
* AFTER

tu4.jpg
* BEFORE

Been working to pay the car off so I doubt any major updates on it until next year!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Love the pre-facelift E46!

I actually prefer the orange bulbs lol, looks like a nice car though. I love the 330i exhaust drone you get.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Looks great!

So many 46's have bubbling on that arch. Do the wings retain road crap in the lip or something?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks great!

So many 46's have bubbling on that arch. Do the wings retain road crap in the lip or something?

Yeah, the arches are lipped on the inside, retains dirt over time & rusts from the inside out. Same on the e36 & 46. Would have thought they'd change the design by now, but obviously make too much money out of replacement hand arches to care ;)

Yeah, the arches are lipped on the inside, retains dirt over time & rusts from the inside out. Same on the e36 & 46. Would have thought they'd change the design by now, but obviously make too much money out of replacement hand arches to care ;)

1*2 does the same.

bm looks well! 330's shift really well.

Never above 25mpg
depo1.jpg

depo2.jpg

So got some Depos. Think they're OK. It's a reversible mod but think they work with the black!

Thinking of some LM reps, next year, to tie in the chrome grilles and black "theme".

Looks lovely mate, didnt realise you had got one?

I was looking at these last night. Really do fancy one to replace the Puma with next year, but at the same time know I need an estate, and dont really fancy having two RWD cars as I'd like one thats at least half decent in the snow.

Titanium 182
What are these actually like to drive Vein?

I am seriously looking into one but not sure if I would like smooth power delivery.

Whats the best spec 330 to get? One with TV/DVD/Sat Nav