ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

very odd problem with i think my battery! puttery wont start and faulty electrics

clio 182 cup
right so i started my car last night (clio 182) and it was very puttery i turned my lights on and they were very dim i then put my windsreen wipers on and they move so slowly as though its not getting enough currrent, all electric etc windows radio wipers are ever not working or very slow. i then turned my car off and it wouldnt turn back on.

first thought was alternator has gone so i bumped her and left her idling for 15 mins and the puttering became better so i believe its not my alternator as it would have cut out my engine before 15 mins.

im now thinking my battery is s**t.

i left it idling for 15 mins then i put my wipers on and my lights on and the car cut out. it still wont start without a bump

i have recently set up an amp and subwoofer and it only worked for an hour or so now wont turn on. which makes me think its a s**t battery

has anyone had a problem like this before or does anyone have any ideas?

gonna hook it up on jump leads and test my electrics again if they work im pretty sure itll be my battery.

Polo + Micra
sounds like the alternator to me not charging the battery

the battery is only there to start the car and stabilise the voltage in the car

you need to start it and check the voltage it should be around 14v

clio 182 cup
hmm the car seemed fine before hand but i had drained the battery by accident before fitting the sub but a bump start and a little drive seemed to sort that.

ive got it narrowed down to being the alternator or the wiring to the alternator

had the car idling for nearly 40 mins and it cut out and died

Clio 182
this might be a stupid question (apologies if you have tested this), but have you tested battery and alternator?

Polo + Micra
i still say it's the alt did you test before and after starting the car

i've loads of multimeters that are out by a volt or 2

so you need to see it go up by 2 volts after starting

clio 182 cup
hi tested it all again last night when the car was idle the battery read 14v but very rapidly dropped to nothing
all the cables from the alternator have continuity and everything is earthed fine
i charged up the battery with a charger and it had power for 30 mins or so, it is taking a charge the battery seems fine alternator seems fucked.

ordered a new genuine one last night :( £204 next day delivery

front bumper came off last night and hopefully get it all sorted tonight

heres a pic

null_zps843f3118.jpg

2005 Clio 182
Hey Jessopheed, I've had the same problem too essentially. I have a 182 aswell. I went into town the other day and my car seemed fine. Parked up, went about my business and came back. When I tried to start it my car just about turned over then gave up. My STOP sign and battery sign were the only things on (My ABS and Service lights came on briefly).

I changed the battery today, a BOSCH one from Halfords, so not bad. After changing the batteries and starting up, my STOP and battery signs were still on. I thought that this might be the onboard computer in need of a error reset.

But.. I've just driven about 20 miles and on the last stretch home; my wipers stopped working, my blowers went off, the following lights came on;
ABS, Passenger airbag, STOP, Battery, Service and Handbrake. My engine management light also started flashing. Also, when I tried to turn on other electrics, like full beams, other faults occured, like my speedometer failing to register.

I've left the car 20 mins and tried starting it again. It turns over a few times but wont start... Could this all be the alternator too?

Battery is new, fuses all seem fine...

Last edited: