ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very weird problem with the 172, battery or immobilizer?

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Hi guys,

Before anything I know nothing about car electrics and I'm French so my English isn't perfect.

So I had a very weird problem today with my 172, when I turned on the ignition nothing happened, no light no nothing.

This had already happened before because my batterie pod ( not sure if that's what you call it but the round thing that goes around the Batterie minus) isn't tight enough and I can't tighten it more. Anyway so I open the hood to find it in its normal position so I'm already a bit concerned. I try to start it again and all sorts of weird things happen, at first the ignition turned on but the immobilizer red dot flickered, then it stayed solid, then all lights started flickering a'd the needles were moving in a weird way.

For the next 40 minutes, every time I turned the ignition on it would either :

- not turn on at all
-turn on but with the solid red light on and engine wouldn't start
- turn on normally but engine wouldn't start

I tried to move the pod and cleaned the fuses and did everything I could until I clicked on the off button for the climate control, which was already off ( don't know what went through my head), and it started right up. I was completely baffled and stood there for a minute wondering why it started now.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but basically the car wouldn't start. I tried moving my battery cable many times with different results every time until it started because I turned off the climate control. The battery cable is a bit damaged, don't know how to explain it but you can see the insides at the end.

Is there any chance only replacing the battery and the damaged cable will solve the problem? Any chance all this weirdness was caused my the battery or do I have to deal with the battery plus an immobilizer problem?

Thanks a lot.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Tricky to say, I'd rule out battery and the battery connector first as an easy fix, then work from there if the immobiliser issue isn't fixed.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Tricky to say, I'd rule out battery and the battery connector first as an easy fix, then work from there if the immobiliser issue isn't fixed.
Yeah that's what I thought, wasn't too sure if the immobilizer problem could be caused just by the battery but we'll see! Thank you.