ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Video inside - Shocks may be bust..help, holiday on Monday

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Afternoon chaps. Trying to get to the bottom of my steering problems in the 182. Unstable at high speeds in a straight line, feels like there is barely any steering for the first few degrees then it's like the car over steers. Happens with left and right inputs.

Anyway, two videos of my shocks. Contradicting info on the facebook group so after you're expert help. Shocks on the left are approximately 20 years old and have done about 30k. Shocks on the right are the original on my 182 having done 145k when I swapped them over. Are they all bust?

Videos should work shortly after post processing on youtube. Desperate for help as we're driving to the Alps on Monday and the car feels rubbish to drive on the motorway at the moment.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
My brand new rear Koni adjustables i fitted the other day were like the ones on the left.

Where as my old h&r's, that were knocking, came up a lot quicker. So i'm guessing they're meant to be like that.

I see it as the springs are the bit that pushes them back up and returning the car to it's normal ride height.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Just read this, which says the slow return is correct

After your suspension has passed the bump and finished the compressed stroke, the compressed spring try's to return (rebound) to it's original position. I. To control the energy stored in the spring, the shock has to create enough rebound force to slow the springs return. If there were no damping, it would return like a "pogo stick" Hydraulic resistance in the rebound direction is called rebound damping.