ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viewing a 172 tomorrow.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Going to view this tomorrow.
Opinions price wise?

2000 (X) 172.
59,000 miles.
He said its had a cambelt but no paperwork proof.
Pictures are from the garage that he bought it off. Hes owned it four months.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201001349495272/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/renault/model/clio/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/postcode/cr69tn/page/1/radius/60?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostcode%2Fcr69tn%2Fradius%2F60%2Fmake%2Frenault%2Fmodel%2Fclio%2Fengine-size-cars%2F2l_to_2-5l%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fpage%2F1&logcode=p

Also if anybody can do HPI's id be very welcome. X926 DGP

Thanks, Alex

Barge
Reluctant sale due to emigration, those pictures suggest it is at a dealers?

Or are those pictures from when he bought it?!

320d
I would knock £400ish off for the belt changes. Then providing service history etc is present and its in good nick go for it.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
He bought it from a garage 4 months ago. Hes using the pictures which were put up when he bought it. He said the alloys are 3 months old. Ill ask if he still has the original alloys.

I will HPI the car myself after viewing it. Was just asking on the off chance anyone could do it for me to save me the trip to go and see it.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
He bought it from a garage 4 months ago. Hes using the pictures which were put up when he bought it. He said the alloys are 3 months old. Ill ask if he still has the original alloys.

Have I missed something?

Does he mean the alloys in the pics are 3 months old? But the pics were taken 4months+ ago by the garage he bought the car from?

If the wheels were smaller, they'd suit it (IMO)

non sport
its a bit of a big decision to make in the space of four months isnt it?its a recession...you dont just buy a car then decide to sell it and emigrate 4 month later. or am i just borin/sensible??

id also start the negotiating a grand less!!defo dont go over 2300-2400

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 + Combo van
Only just realised that about the timeframe lol. He said the car was owned by a dealer before him. Then he bought it they told him the cambelt has been changed. 12 months MOT when he bought it.

He must have bought the car with the wheels on. But the way he described it was like he fitted them after buying. Ill have to check it tomorrow.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Only just realised that about the timeframe lol. He said the car was owned by a dealer before him. Then he bought it they told him the cambelt has been changed. 12 months MOT when he bought it.

He must have bought the car with the wheels on. But the way he described it was like he fitted them after buying. Ill have to check it tomorrow.

Lol, it's always easier for someone who isn't wanting to buy the car to spot somethings.

I do like the overall look, the wheels just seem to look too big to me. I'd be a little weary, but your decision in the end.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Yeh thanks. All of them im looking at need the second cambelt change. Im trying to factor this into the cost. Was just after some opinions on price before i go tomorrow. Its better to have a few opinions from CS rather than just my own.

The wheels are an easy fix. I dont like them myself.

Suppose it doesnt really matter if the belts have been done or not. They will be due again this year anyway.

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
If he says the belts have been done ask him for proof, (a invoice with it on) and if he can't give you one say you will have to assume they have not been done.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Wouldn't touch that with no proof of cambelt and those awful wheels. It'd cost you £700+ to do cambelt and get some decent wheels.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Dude!

I went to view this car with a mate a while back... We managed to haggle him down to 2k so thats way over priced...

Car wise, Engine bay was extremely dirty, was on crappy apex springs, interior was REALLY tatty. Guy came across as a decent person though and could tell he looked after his cars (didn't rag it from cold etc).

Just needed a proper tidy up/detail and some new wheels.

Guy was a mechanic and said he changed the belt himself with a mate using a genuine gates timing belt kit. Showed me a reciept for the kit etc but still wasn't convinced about it.

The old owner is on here. He sold to buy a pug 106. TBH I would want more for my money mate.

Find another one.

330i. E30 Touring.
If it can be had for the right price, it looks alright.

Those wheels will sell on ebay, easy enough.

EDIT: LOL at Luke. CS comes good again. Still, if it can be had for the right price, snap it up..

Engine bay can be cleaned. Springs can be sold and swapped for standards, same with wheels. Belts done at JMS or similar.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Cheers everyone. Definately worth putting this thread up lol.

Cheers for the info luke. The guy who you must have saw must have been the dealer who owned it prior to the guy who owns it now. i assume? Dont suppose you HPI'd it? Do you remember the service history? past mot's im intrested in to confirm mileage.

Its snowing pretty heavy here so ill make the decision on whether to go or not tomorrow.

Thanks too jayjetski. Ive seen all of them advertised but cant justify the 100+ miles to view them.

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It had service history up to 40k IIRC when he bought it... Then he just did it himself.

He then sold it to a guy on here (he put a thread up with pics etc of the car) and that guy must have traded it in...

Didn't HPI it mate but the milage etc all added up. If you can get it for the right price go for it but it needs a little TLC :)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
LOL easy mistake mate no worries. Same part of the world too and the way you described it sounded just like it.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
i got ride of mine and it was mint for 2600 and it was 1 of 99 iceberg silvers, had the shift light, cd changer, dvd head unit, ph2 lights and colour coading, ali rad, sfs yellow silicone coolant hoses, s/s full stealth system, lowered

2009-10-18160557.jpg

2009-10-18160423.jpg

2009-06-30191426.jpg

2009-06-18211709.jpg

2009-05-27204709.jpg

2009-05-27204734.jpg

2009-05-27204825.jpg

2009-05-27204815.jpg

sorry for the pic whoring just an idea of i sold for 2.6k

Last edited:

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
was well i hope still is the kids on here some student. Isnt a paid member though. he told me he rolled his last car!