ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viper Induction Kit

ok. correct my understanding if i am wrong, but isnt the 172 ecu suppose to learn about the way the engine is running etc. so if for example you do replace the intake system with a viper or bmc cda, it will automatically adjust the fueling to suit and not allow to run lean/rich due to the twin lamda sensors on the cat?

Im waiting for the R-sport ECU to come out instead of getting a remap done. It seems ok at the moment but the proof will come out on Saturday.

BenR - I spoke to Trevor at K-Tec aboutthe breather as wasnt sure and he says its fine, what would you have done. I was thinking of keeping the original pipe from the airbox into the engine but it didnt quite fit...

Markh - the standard ECU does have the ability to compensate for certain scenerios, but putting the Viper (or BMC CDA etc) makes it breath too well, and the ECU cannot adjust itself that much, and so you end up leanin out or overfueling, Im not sure how the RS ecu will cope with this, well see I spose (if it ever comes out ;)) but a remap is the only decent way to make sure that @WOT you aint gonna do harm to the engine.

On another noteI was going to spend saturday just fiddling about trying to get the viper repositioned correctly, but now Ive been asked to do some infrastructure testing @work :( - so I guess Ill be pulling it all apart at work (now where did I put that dremel?)

only because the breather system design is very effective on the 172 and taking out its main source of vacuum by not having the breather attatch to the link pipe. WOnt cause anything major, but it would rather have it in, i run the breahter in mine....and it wont stink either...

Piper X only did it cause its easier than get samco to make up a pipe witha attatchent on its elbow.....

At wide open throttle - foot to the floor, the ECU runs in open loop and bases the fueling on static maps built into its memory - this is why a remap is a good thing as they base it on the mods on the car. On idle and driving the ECU runs in closed loop and adjusts fueling based on for example the upstream lambda sensor reading the oxygen content in the exhaust. P.S. if any one is interested I have an induction hose kit for sale with breather pipe fitment suitable for various induction kits.

has anyone gotta pic of their viper fitted in a mk1 172? if they could post it on here or mail it to me mailto:mattarundale@hotmail.com">mattarundale@hotmail.com it would be much appreciated, cheers

Matt

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Forget any power increase...mine was 163bhp before the Viper and after was 158bhp!! ..... hence the remap.

Thats one lovely looking job,

Is it assumed that the Viper is the best option when it comes to induction kits for clios then? I only have a 1.2 so any power gain would be greatly appreciated, Mainly want the sound though!

Have seen messages ref: remapping following fitment? what does this mean? whats involved? how much? cheers

Lionel Richie

Good job Roamer!!!!

Noel, you could spend £250 on a viper and ok, fair enough it might give you say 5bhp gain, but then youll have 80bhp........................woooo!!! If you want to do it, then fair enough, but im just gonna wait til im older (and my insurance clears up!!!!) and get a faster car.

for a 1.2 16v +VIPER+REMAP+EXHAUST i very much doubt youll get more than 85bhp (i maybe wrong, mines going on the rollers on Saturday, so ill let you know what i get, tom got 76.3bhp on a std engine, ive got a piperx +bbox so im hoping itll be up on tom, but knowing my luck itll be under 75bhp!!!!!)

H22A7 Accord Type R

id be interested to hear your results too Fred! Im PLanning on the K-tec exhaust, i have a jetex filter Element also.............let me us know, cheers, Rob

how much am i looking at for a remap, I presume Id have to go to a tuning company to set it up correctly rather than Renault?

Sangy, I dont know where you live, but Id recommend London SuperChips/Power Engineering in Uxbridge, Im gonna go down on friday for a bit of a run, get a power run in and see that mines still on target, if its out Ill get Dave @L.S. to touch the fueling slightly...... Come on down!

Oh, and for your first remap session, youre probably lookin at about £300-350 all in, that includes the Superchip costs + RR sessions.

Streuth, its tempting as am off on friday although im moving house on the Sat so the missus will go ballistic! Still, as if I ever listen!

Ill have to check the pennies as it does definately require setting up.

Erm, well its 45 quid for a re-run on the rollers, and well, I dont know how much a tweek would be, but no-where near as much as the first time, cos the major cost is the superchips module you get given at the first remap, so maybe 50 quid a map?

The module is a small key, and this is programmed to your car (access number or serial number or summat) and its that that allows a superchips place to access your ecu, without it you would have to pay the full superchips price again (obviously not desirable)

On the subject of mapping a 1.2 16v, well I dont know... have a look at the superchips site and see if they list it.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Roamer...stop talking these Cups into having remaps...they seem to produce strong results without any mods....well get left behind :(.

...unless the turbo conversion is close;)

Chris - Ahhh just wait matey, Im sure theres some more stuff I have to pull out of the bag yet!

Sangy - When ya going to get it done?

Interesting stuff!

I spoke to Nick Hill @ Hillpower about these R-Sport ECUs and it seems he used to deal with them when they were Radbourne Racing. Apparantly the ECUs are far from being ready since at present they yield less bhp than a std 172 - you actually lose power! So, a fair bit of development still to do methinks, although I understand that they arent really aimed at road-going cars anyway and might be more for motorsport use.

I also spoke to a very helpful Dave @ BB Tuning who informed me that their ECU mod for the 172 was currently on hold. Why? Well, theyve seen plenty of ECU mods which lose power. Theyve also not had any issues with aftermarket air filters causing lean running engines and the proof of the pudding is their own 172, fitted with their own air filter kit (based on a Green Cotton filter). Which begs the question, how are you guys detecting lean running - with a air/fuel ratio meter and lambda sensor, or by measuring CO on the rolling road?

BB Tuning also seem to have had a fair few 172s fitted with Pipercross Vectors which were seriously down on power. Very strange!

So many conflicting reports - its hard to know what to do!!

Wayne, quick question, after having the quckshift for a while now, whatdya think of it?

I only ask because I have a hard time deciding whether the springs or the quickshift is the best value mod Ive done.

Hehe, yeah, Have you thought about getting a completely new ECU system instead of piggy-backing ontop of your currect ecu? How much is it costing?