ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viper Induction Kit

S2000

I love the quickshift. Much more solid feeling and positive. It kinda feels a bit race car like I think. What springs you got John?

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 11 February 2003

Interesting stuff!

I spoke to Nick Hill @ Hillpower about these R-Sport ECUs and it seems he used to deal with them when they were Radbourne Racing. Apparantly the ECUs are far from being ready since at present they yield less bhp than a std 172 - you actually lose power! So, a fair bit of development still to do methinks, although I understand that they arent really aimed at road-going cars anyway and might be more for motorsport use.

I also spoke to a very helpful Dave @ BB Tuning who informed me that their ECU mod for the 172 was currently on hold. Why? Well, theyve seen plenty of ECU mods which lose power. Theyve also not had any issues with aftermarket air filters causing lean running engines and the proof of the pudding is their own 172, fitted with their own air filter kit (based on a Green Cotton filter). Which begs the question, how are you guys detecting lean running - with a air/fuel ratio meter and lambda sensor, or by measuring CO on the rolling road?

BB Tuning also seem to have had a fair few 172s fitted with Pipercross Vectors which were seriously down on power. Very strange!

So many conflicting reports - its hard to know what to do!!
Cant believe this thread is still goin!!

Anyway, there do seem to be alot of conflicting results, and they vary as much as the power output of a std 172, possible link?.......stanger things have happened.

Anyway, from my testing and findings the 172 is extreemely sensitive to inlet air temps. Why, i dont know as of yet......but with such small TB (about the size of the honda 1.6VTEC) any different in charge density will have an affect.

ANyway, my findings.

As the car comes out the factory with no fettling, our 172 put out the std internal factory statement of 166bhp.....not a bad job!

BTW, its my car which is also a demo and used every now and then, but is THOUGHRALLY thrashed all day every day by loads of people, mainly to help get sales if we can impress a few people.

Anyway, we fitted the viper first, and it made a healthy 6bhp gain, mind you, temps were down from the 37 deg at mid day on the std test run a few days before. Temps were around the 30-32 depending on cloud cover as the RR was an outdoor item. Also, it was raining at the time which meant slightly denser charge, but humidity was around 98%. The big point was the 10BHP gain mid range where it hiked up almost vertically, separating it from the std curve, but only lasted a few hundred rpm.......could this be the 10bhp piper-x claim!! lol

2 days later, the new map went in with guestimated adjustments. Drove home and it was a totally new car, in drivability, power want much more, in fact you couldnt tell at all, but new ignition timing meant new noise, higher rpm limit allowed you to hold gears longer in curves, and it was guzzling fuel faster.....1/4 tank on the way home. And when the island is only a few km across, thats guzzlin!!!

Went to get it RRed next day, power was up 2bhp, and air temp was also up to a constant 32 deg in full sunshine....it was HOT! but the torque curve was 6ft lbs up at around the 4500-5000rpm point.....where the cam seems to come on. Where most people mistake the VVT switching.

Lastly, we tested the exhaust a few days later, a paltry 2bhp gain.........it was a jetex, a compramise on noise.....the Ktec was LOUD but we didnt RR it sadly, but i would of expected a few more BHP.....

On the last RR session i had already noticed power/temp variations, so decided now was a good time to test what i could. well, i swapped the std airbox back, and only lost 4bhp!!!!

and for test sakes, i took off everything and left an exposed TB......dont start! lol.......and result with the bonnet closed and a fan for the rad.....a 10bhp loss!!!!! sounded awsome, but man, was tehre a huge dip where you would use the power most....3000-4500rpm......

Whats my conclusion!??

A: I would rather stick on a set of throttlebodies and be done with it.....loads of fiddling for 185bhp or a single move for 215bhp.....hmmmm

They were not bought by me, but sent by renaultsport to FRD where we used them......dunno the name some french comapny, we just slapped them on.

hey pronto (almost, took a few days setting up) 215bhp!

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 11 February 2003

Interesting stuff!

I spoke to Nick Hill @ Hillpower about these R-Sport ECUs and it seems he used to deal with them when they were Radbourne Racing. Apparantly the ECUs are far from being ready since at present they yield less bhp than a std 172 - you actually lose power! So, a fair bit of development still to do methinks, although I understand that they arent really aimed at road-going cars anyway and might be more for motorsport use.

I also spoke to a very helpful Dave @ BB Tuning who informed me that their ECU mod for the 172 was currently on hold. Why? Well, theyve seen plenty of ECU mods which lose power. Theyve also not had any issues with aftermarket air filters causing lean running engines and the proof of the pudding is their own 172, fitted with their own air filter kit (based on a Green Cotton filter). Which begs the question, how are you guys detecting lean running - with a air/fuel ratio meter and lambda sensor, or by measuring CO on the rolling road?

BB Tuning also seem to have had a fair few 172s fitted with Pipercross Vectors which were seriously down on power. Very strange!

So many conflicting reports - its hard to know what to do!!

CO for my runs.......