ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viper Induction Kit

Have just bought one of these from K-Tec. Just need to know if its the same as fitting a standard induction kit or are there any special requirements? Also will it be beneficial getting a heat shield?

Ta

yeah, just as Tom says, the viper is heat-shielded by a *lovely* bit of carbon fibre, just make sure that you get the pipe down the back of the nearside headlight correct.

Where are you gonna locate the feed end? as Ive got mine behind the lower grill at the mo, but I think with a good stealthy bit of cutting back on the feed end it should be able to be located through the grill (once Ive meshed it).

I knew that of course! Im not sure about the pipe as yet, will have to see when it gets here. Any ideas on the best place to stick it as have a standard mesh?

BTW is there any way of remiving a fog light to put feed the pipe down there? Saw it on a Cossie once and thought it was a good idea?

I know but what Im desperate not to do is locate the feed pipe in a bad place so I lose power! Would it be hard to do?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

nope just remove the fog light and run the feed behind it

that would be a great way of getting cold air in though? I never use my fogs really anyway as most drivers get annoyed with people putting them on if its not foggy, I know I do!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

take em out = less weight

you would need to run a mesh over the hole to avoid big stuff entering the feed

use the other duct to cool the brakes or sommat

My mechanic (well my mate) and I are going to investigate the best place for it this afternoon but if its worth it Ill rip the fogs out.

Roamer, where do you you run your pipe down from the induction kit ,, did you remove the old 1 compltley and take it down there or take it through the engine???

removed the old one completed, in fact it was Dave @ K-tec who did it, but yeah, removed the old air feed pipework and the actuator (that thing needs needs a huge vacuum before it actually will move btw) and took it down the back of the nearside headlight, then its attached by a cable tie and faces 45 degrees to the front (because the feed pipe is a bit too deep at present)

Why not just run it down to the lower grille instead of removing a fog light, it would not effect the amount of air and would not ruin the front of your cup...

As standard the feed pipe bit on the end wont fit in the lower grill without sticking out loads because theres just not enough room for it and the pipe to bend 90 degrees, but I *think* if you trim that feedpipe back it should fit, Im going to have a go and re-doin the pipework tonight, so while Ive got it all off Ill see if I can measure it all up and check if it can fit there at all, and if it can.... well you know itll be there ;)

Now, the only question is, in the middle, or (because I might not have enough pipe) off to the nearside?

Well, just as an update, I did a temp fix last night coupling the new pipework to the old stuff, and went out for a blast, now before above 6k revs the rev climb would start to slow down noticably, but now..... wooosh, its up there asskin for more and more revs, what a bloody difference, now Ive just got to work out how Im going to get the old lower pipework out and put the new stuff back in, it was a bit much for me late last night.

Now, theres an interesting question, what diameter pipework did you get with your viper? as I think im running 75mm but I think chris172 has some small stuff, maybe 60mm - I tell you what, the install must be a hell of a lot easier with 60mm than 75mm, cos its just crammed behind the light in my install, couldnt shift it!

Currently the end is just behind the lower grill (nearside) and is facing 45 degrees to the right, so not dead straight, but I am going to look at this tonight.

Oh, and if you need a bit more room to push the pipe down behind the headlight, you can (apparently) safely remove the headlight adjuster by twisting it about 60 degrees and pulling it out. I also believe that dave removed a small amount of plastic to be able to feed the pipe forward toward the lower grill, this should become apparent when you fit it. If you want any questions answered Ill be working on it tonight and can talk you though anything (sort of match what I have to what you need to do), just PM me.

BMW 320d Sport

Keep up the good work John. In my experience with induction systems and various different hook-ups, dont worry too much if you cant get a huge bore pipe in there if its going to cause routing problems. If you need to go to 60mm to get a decent route, then go for 60mm instead of 75 or whatever. As long as its taking its feed from down the bottom where youve got it. It will help to have the mouth of it facing directly forward rather than 45 degrees though.

Clio 1.6 16V

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 03 February 2003

...........removed the old air feed pipework and the actuator (that thing needs needs a huge vacuum before it actually will move btw) and took it down the back of the nearside headlight....
Hi Roamer,

Any ideas how this actuator is fixed to the bodywork? I tried everyway but coudnt get it off (ohherrr!). I tried to get a cold air feed for my K&N 57i up behind the nearside headlamp but failed. Didnt want to cut the sump cover as suggested in the instructions. If I could get rid of that bl**dy actuator I may succeed. Spotted the headlight adjuster trick by mistake. There isnt much room in there is there m8? My arms were scratched to fcuk after an hour!!!

I fancy putting on a splitter on the front with air vents and put the air feed behind there? ideas?

take the motor off the acutuator and then keep it plugged in...so the ecu STILL THINKS its there. then just tape it to teh pipe or similar.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

If you remove the crap guard from the wheel well you will see the actuator tube. I removed the bolt holding the tube and turned it upside down and tie wrapped it well out of the way inside the wing...sorted, loadsa room. It ties back easier upside down with it still connected.

Ive got my intake behind the lower grill pointing across it, like Roamer and Bens RSR. A bit concerned about putting the intake facing out due to rain and other sh*t forcing its way up my pipe!! or am I being silly. My pipe is smaller than Roamers...but hey ive got no hang ups..LOL!

Sangy... when you get on the rollers at BB get them to check the Co2 to make sure your fueling OK...Mine was way out and only pulling 158bhp!!!hence the remap to sort it...180bhp now!!

Clio 1.6 16V

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I will look for the bolt holding this stupid tube/actuator thingy to the body, undo it and tie back the tube as you suggested.

Incidently, I currently have a temporary cold intake pipe which is below the front splitter line going vertically up to the filter cone. I have been in some typical Scottish downpours and through some pretty major puddles without any mishaps. Have inspected the filter cone after such runs and seemed to be dry. Maybe Ive been lucky!!

As Sangy posted, I would be interested in your BB RR report re fuelling. I have noticed that my average fuel consumption has gone from 34ish down to 28ish since fitting the cold air pipe to the K&N so reckon something is happening in that department. Without the air pipe the consumption remained at 34ish as normal.

I have a BMC carbon induction system in my 172. Basically the old airbox and air-intakes were removed,. The feed pipe is an 80mm green cotten twister pipe which atm is inside the passenger guard pointing down towards vents in the bottom of the sh*t guards. Would the system be any better (is bloody brillant now), by directing this intake to have air force into it ie: pointing directly forward. What i have heard is that you dont want turbulant air going into the intake so it is best to have a "clean" air flow in toto the pipe. ie: like what i have now.. opinions

ICE'dberg MK2 172

FS

Your system has the cold air feed pipe just pointing at the cone so the filter is not actually sucking through it, but cold air will be aimed at it when you are rolling so you shouldnt have any problems. However the Viper is sealed all the way through to the intake making it act like a vacuum cleaner which is why im concerned about water and crap getting sucked in.

Chris, it would take some suction to get water all the way up there, I think the worst youd get would be a water lock if you went through a ford or sommat (but guess we all try and avoid that sorta thing dont we)

Anything that does make it up there will be caught by the filter anyhow.....

Hehe anyone want to sit on my bonnet and put their hand in front of the intake whilst Im accelerating over 70 to see what the airflow is like LoL :p

On a more sensible note, anyone got a good idea on how to securely fix the feed end into the lower grill? I mean, I can make a hole in the grill to fit, but how to stop in falling out, a well placed cable tie or two on the back??, any suggestions..... (sensible ones only please ;))

ICE'dberg MK2 172

John... I am just ering on the side of caution.

You dont need a trapeeze artist to sit on your bonnet just try 7K stationary and watch it suck the sparrows out the sky!!! LOL!

With regards to the grill just make a big washer thats the same size as the intake. Cut your hole in the grill the size of the intake sleeve...intake goes in from the outside and washer from behind, then secure it with a jubilee clip then attatch the hose to it with another jubilee clip.....sorted! you might want to fit a mesh so the leaves dont get hoovered up tho....something like a close weave fishing net...in a complimentary colour.

Have the day off trying fit this viper kit but its a bit of a pig. Anybody got any tips for a MK2 172 engine? Even better can anybosy post a pic of it after its bee fitted? Pipercross seem to have instructions on their website ( didnt get any in the box) but nothing for a Mk2 172.

Any help VERY gratefully received as me cars in bits!

Cars no longer in bits but the pipe is now hanging out the front from the bottom of the car for maximum air!

Its all fitted now and looks pretty good also makes a lovely noise! Not sure on any power gains but guess Ill find out at the midland RR next Sat.

Looks great as well.

With regards to the pipe its gone done where the original one was behind the headlight. Couldnt really fit it anywhere else?

Hopefully some kind soul will check it out next sat and advise if its right.

Sangy, good to see it fitted, but please be warned that if you dont have it RRd and check the fueling you may well be running lean and/or rich(in various parts of the rev range, obviously not together LoL), now rich running will only really p*ss your fuel away, but lean running is nasty, engine wreckin stuff, better be safe than sorry, and anyway, the ecu remap will free a bit more power out of the old beast too :D

:)

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Ditto Roamer.....mine was doing 20mpg and running lean at mid point and very rich @wot. Hope Wilcox can check the Co2 for you.

Nice hose...like you say shame its not blue but still looks cool. The red ends on the Viper are only glued on so could be stripped and repainted

Is that an Ecotek?? or a breather pipe with a PX filter??

Lionel Richie

Go on then Ben, why isnt it a good idea having a breather????? Didnt know the Vipers came with a red silicon hose??????