ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin 50Mb

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Well after being with Telewest/Blueyonder/Virgin for over 14 years now, they finally gave us a good deal on the 50Mb release.

Had a few problems over the last 6 months on connectivity, but they have been good at refunding etc.

Had 20Mb from them and always seen 19.7Mb.

Well engineer turned up for the 50Mb install.
all sorted.

Very happy with the speed at home now ;)

Seen nothing lower then 48, sits at around 49.1

Attachments

• Virgin.jpg
    Virgin.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
LoL

For once a nice quick clean install :)

Shame the TV box is still crap, even the new one he left us.
Glad thats only bedroom, Sky FTW !

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'll be getting that when it's available in my area. I do like my V+ TV box though, much prefer it to the Sky+ box it replaced.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I'll be getting that when it's available in my area. I do like my V+ TV box though, much prefer it to the Sky+ box it replaced.

Thats the only thing they wudnt let us have cheap lol.

Its only in the folks bedroom, so cba chasing for it hehe.

Engineer was dead impressed tho! So far every install he has done for the 50Mb service is hitting about 20-35Mb.

We are dam close to the HQ/Test Centre...

I want !

Think mum signed up to 18month contract a while back so where stuck with bt.

Still once were out of it we probably still wont change over :(

Cant wait to have a place of my own!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Id settle for a constant 5mb TBH.
Agreed. That's mental I can't believe you are actually getting what they say! :mad:

What sort of speed do you get when downloading files?... if you get a chance to see. youtube videos must load 100% instantly lol.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Agreed. That's mental I can't believe you are actually getting what they say! :mad:

What sort of speed do you get when downloading files?... if you get a chance to see. youtube videos must load 100% instantly lol.

Yer, engineer was amazed at the speed in this area :)

Well heres a screenshot from downloading Ubuntu..

Sat happily at 5.9 for now..

Attachments

• Download.jpg
    Download.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 64
  Tesla MP3 2021
Nice speeds there. I cant wait to go onto bonded ADSL 2+ ;)... It would take alot for me to go back Virgin.

I bet the other people who are only connecting at 20-35Mb are abit pissed off lol.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
is the 50mb service still subject to the download restriction?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Nice speeds there. I cant wait to go onto bonded ADSL 2+ ;)... It would take alot for me to go back Virgin.

I bet the other people who are only connecting at 20-35Mb are abit pissed off lol.

It does say "Up to"

Just like ADSL does, but yer i wud be annoyed as well ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
Stupid. I live 300yards from the exchange and only see 5mb of my 18mb connection!

Sommet cant be right there. Unless your line goes on a little Holiday before it gets to your house lol.

Whats your line attenuation??

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Not at the moment, fully unrestricted (well i wudnt imagine totally), but no management figures given yet.

As its not available to all yet, nothings been given.

If it does, it better be good! lol

Otherwise have to fall back on my ADSL Be line during the day....

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Not at the moment, fully unrestricted (well i wudnt imagine totally), but no management figures given yet.

As its not available to all yet, nothings been given.

If it does, it better be good! lol

Otherwise have to fall back on my ADSL Be line during the day....

It will be once it's rolled out to everyone . You can put money on that ;)

All their other speeds are capped :(

Fiat Panda 100hp
Wireless won't slow it down, normally runs at 54mb/s easily enough for really fast broadband.

What would you think it'll be. As sky says its 16mb or close enough at the router but yet speedtest.net says its 5mb at best at my computer.....

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'd say Sky are probably speaking crap, having worked for them that's the most likely reason. You'll have got one of the fools who like to tell the customer anything they like. It's amazing the number of staff who tell customers that they were sending a signal boost to their digibox and that it should clear any signal problems within 24 hours!!! Isn't it great how they can get the satellite to send a stronger signal to that one digibox :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
Is that actual connection speed or a indication of what speed your line is capable of supporting?

DCi
Yer, engineer was amazed at the speed in this area :)

Well heres a screenshot from downloading Ubuntu..

Sat happily at 5.9 for now..
omg...WANT!

Stupid. I live 300yards from the exchange and only see 5mb of my 18mb connection!
you have said you are wireless, have you tried a cable? makes a shed load of difference at my house - I know someone said that wireless runs at 54mb and thats plenty - it is not really true - bad signal, bad speeds, try a cable if you have a laptop and see if it makes a difference!

It does say "Up to"

Just like ADSL does, but yer i wud be annoyed as well ;)
I thought that all the ISP's got told off for doing that now because they were pretty much conning everyone into 10mb connections and giving them about 1mb!! :D

Yeah actualy, just ran a statistics test and got this....

ADSL Link

Downstream/Upstream

Connection Speed 16379 kbps/797 kbps
Line Attenuation 19.0 db/7.8 db
Noise Margin 7.8 db/14.0 db

you have said you are wireless, have you tried a cable? makes a shed load of difference at my house - I know someone said that wireless runs at 54mb and thats plenty - it is not really true - bad signal, bad speeds, try a cable if you have a laptop and see if it makes a difference!

Office computer connected by cable is geting the full 16mb and so is the downstairs wirless. Guess its cos i'm just to far for the f**king shitty sky netgear box.

Wireless won't slow it down, normally runs at 54mb/s easily enough for really fast broadband.

I'd say the opposite - 11g is doing really well (and you're next to the AP) to be running near to 54Mb.

54Mb is completely theoretical. Most see around 20-30Mb at best. (Megabit, not Megabyte!)

So, if you had a full whack 50Mb Virgin connection, you need to be looking at either being cabled in, or, using something like 802.11n etc.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I'd say the opposite - 11g is doing really well (and you're next to the AP) to be running near to 54Mb.

54Mb is completely theoretical. Most see around 20-30Mb at best. (Megabit, not Megabyte!)

So, if you had a full whack 50Mb Virgin connection, you need to be looking at either being cabled in, or, using something like 802.11n etc.

Yup

Just hooked up my lappy and supprise supprise only get 25Mb via wireless.

Just need to wait for my free Wireless N AP from Virgin hehe.

Luckily everything else is cabled in :)

A shiny black one.
Im really looking forward to the rest of my estate being finished so virgin can come in and finish of putting in the cables so I can get some of this 50meg broadband! Half a meg BT is just poo!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
OOO i want!!

Pricee? We've been with them for years!

Depends what u get out of them.

£30 install fee

£50 activation fee

(both regardless of new or old customer)

We have XL TV, XL Phone, XXL Broadband now...

Ring them up see what they will do :D

Currently were better off with the new price i agreed ;)