ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media 152mb problem

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
152mb is supposed to be their premium internest and it's awful so far. I've just moved into my student accodomation which is a 6 bedroom town house, and because my room is in a loft conversion two floors above the router, it just drops out constantly, if you are watching a youtube video you have to reconnect about 10 times. Is there anything I can buy, or get another virgin box to make it better?

I'm not tech savvy at all so any links would be appreciated! (I have tweeted Virgin too).

2014 Focus Titanium
Either find some way to cable it (Long Cat5 cable to the router), use a wireless extender on the floor below or get some powerline adapters (these plug into your sockets and use the house's internal wiring as network cable, easy to do!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Powerline adapters would be your best bet if its possible to do that, otherwise sticking the hub into modem mode and getting a better router is what you need. I doubt its the internet connection, I get 160MB with Virgin and its great.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Doesnt sound like anything wrong with the service they're providing at all. You're just to far from the router.

Repeater or above options sound ideal.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
152 Mbps is a dream in my street, max we get is 8 Mbps around 400 kb/s download speed.

Working away last week I thought i was in the future downloading films at 3 Mb/s.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
You need this :)

vs09-02_1250cxs.0.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9238057/asus-rt-ac5300u-triband-wireless-router-ifa-2015

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Confused as to what powerline adapters are, and for wifi extenders dont you need ethernet ports in the wall?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
152 Mbps is a dream in my street, max we get is 8 Mbps around 400 kb/s download speed.

Working away last week I thought i was in the future downloading films at 3 Mb/s.
400kb/s on a 8mb connection via torrents i'm assuming? what provider are you with?8

I get a steady 8.4 mb/s download on my 80mbps broadband.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You need to go to the superhub webpage and then log in , click advanced settings , click on wireless radio , then you will see this page:
eSTMpEk.jpg

obviously change it to best range. I very much doubt you will ever actually need more than 54mbps.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
if its like mine then just type 192.168.0.1 into chrome or internet explorer and it will come up.
Thanks mate. No idea how to get onto superhub but will give it a go!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just did the above and it did nothing. Im now sat next to the internet box and it took 20seconds to open youtube.com. Did a broadband speedchecker and it say my download speed is 119.52 mb/s, so im very confused.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
call 151 from your home phone and ask VM to help you

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Just did the above and it did nothing. Im now sat next to the internet box and it took 20seconds to open youtube.com. Did a broadband speedchecker and it say my download speed is 119.52 mb/s, so im very confused.

Well that sounds more like the device you are using is at fault then. If you can get a 119mb/s on a speed test, that shows you are getting a decent connection. If stuff is taking an age to open/run then you have another issue.

What are you using? A laptop, tablet, phone?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Only any good if you know the username and password to the router, anyone with sense would have changed that in a student house.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I managed to change the details to the best range. All details and 'changeme' pw were okay.

We are paying premium rate for a dial up connection.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I managed to change the details to the best range. All details and 'changeme' pw were okay.

We are paying premium rate for a dial up connection.

You aren't. Your speed test proves 100+mb is making it to your device.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I did a speed test 10 secs later and it shows 52mb/s. So how do I find out what is failing?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I did a speed test 10 secs later and it shows 52mb/s. So how do I find out what is failing?

But even at 52mb internet and youtub etc should fly. What about other people in the house, are they experiencing the same or is it just you?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Only 2 of us moved in so far, and he's also got the same problems. And he also has a macbook and iphone. At first we assumed it was the distance from router and because we were in a loft conversion, but even when sat next to it it's awful.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Plug a network cable in and try again (to the macbook). Need to pinpoint if it's wifi or something else.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
If you're trying to get fibre-speed over wireless, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah but 20 seconds on 119Mb/s isn't right, regardless of how it's connected. I'm at my mums at the moment and just tried YouTube on 14Mb/s and it loaded up in 2-3 seconds.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Given it a while and it seems to have settled down. Works really quick on my phone and xbox. However, on my mac, it's ridiculous and im constantly switching between 2g/5g, and its rubbish at my girlfriends house (same internet). What settings can i fiddle with on my mac? Please remember i have no technical sense!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I dont know anything about MAC's but there might be a way of resetting network settings, have a search and see.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah ofcourse. Im trying to do work on my mac now, sat literally 2 metres away from the router. I'm posting this on my iphone simply because it actually works on my phone but not my mac.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah ofcourse. Im trying to do work on my mac now, sat literally 2 metres away from the router. I'm posting this on my iphone simply because it actually works on my phone but not my mac.

OK try manually setting the IP to something ending .77 incase its clashing with another thing like someone's phone...

If you don't know what I'm talking about.. Then shout.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Oh, also worth noting is that it's fine connected to the uni internet and my proper home internet. It just hates Virgin Media at my uni house and girlfriends house.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
I understand what you mean as i've had to do it at work but they tell me random 'cmd' stuff. So a small guide id appreciate! @TheEvilGiraffe
VM dont have a scooby when it comes to macs 😂
they usually read from a script

try Renew DHCP Lease (System Preferences -> network -> Advanced-> TCP/IP then click the "Renew DHCP Lease" button).

i had the same issue when connected to my VM fibre on my MBpro

try the following guide and see how it goes

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

if the above doesnt work try the different steps below

1. Creating a New Wi-Fi Service (
    • Copy and paste these instructions, because you'll be disconnected from the Internet and you'll need to reboot.
    • Go into your Network Preferences > Select Wi-Fi Service (in the list in the left column) > Click on the options (cog icon) > Select "Make Service Inactive" > Select Apply.
    • Select the same Wi-Fi Service > Delete It ( – ). Reboot.
    • Return to Network Preferences > Create a New Service ( + ).
    • Inside the prompt select Wi-Fi under Interface, name the Service Name something other than Wi-Fi. (I named mine Wi-Fi2. Apparently if you retain the previous Wi-Fi name the WiFi dropping will return on reboot.) > Click Create.
    • Click Apply.
  2. Delete and Reconnect to your Preferred Network
    • Go into your Network Preferences > Advanced > Select Your WiFi Network and Delete It ( – ). Reconnect to it.
  3. Reset PRAM
    • Reset your PRAM & NVRAM by
      1. Shut down your Mac.
      2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
      3. Turn on your Mac.
      4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
      5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
      6. Release the keys.

Last edited: