ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin --> Sky

I've always had Virgin TV and internet and never had any problems but since I moved to my new house a few weeks ago they've been nothing but a nightmare so I'm going to have to go with Sky.

Apart from the internet not being as fast is there anything I should be aware of?
Any decent new customer deals about?
And any recommendations on which TV package is best?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I have the best of both worlds - Virgin 120mb internet and phoneline and Sky for TV. Check quidco for cashback as they usually have £100+ cashback offers on (for Sky). I hated Virgin Media TV when I had that. The TIVO box is so buggy!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The Tivo has come on a long way these days and is a LOT better than it was. I'd still like to move back to Sky, but not when they can only offer 40MB internet.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i'd rather have 40mbps internet with no fair use policy through sky than have 120mbps with virgin that has all sorts of restrictions when it comes to downloads.

Price wise Sky seem pretty decent but then your not getting the same Internet.
I was more than happy with Tivo, never had any problems with it and would have been happy to keep it if it wasn't for Virgin being numbskulls.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
The interface on the Sky box isn't great IMO. I don't get why people rave about it.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I have the best of both worlds - Virgin 120mb internet and phoneline and Sky for TV. Check quidco for cashback as they usually have £100+ cashback offers on (for Sky). I hated Virgin Media TV when I had that. The TIVO box is so buggy!
Same as me except i have 152mb :)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
TiVo is clunky. I've never heard anyone not like the Sky Interface. It's so easy and quick.

I know. I've never heard anyone else say they don't like it either. And I can't figure out why. My main example is this. On tivo if you press Guide it brings up the TV guide. On Sky, if you press TV guide it brings up a sub menu where I have to press TV guide again. Why? Why does it do that. I want the f**king TV guide, not more bloody options.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
i'd rather have 40mbps internet with no fair use policy through sky than have 120mbps with virgin that has all sorts of restrictions when it comes to downloads.

Ive had Virgin Internet for the last 5 years and have never had any restrictions applied. There's days where I will download 200gb+ and nothing has ever happened or been said

Same with me, I've never had any restrictions applied and I've downloaded plenty, which is why I ideally don't want to leave Virgin as the speed I am going to get with Sky is shocking in comparison but waiting 5-6 weeks to find out if we can even have Virgin is just shocking.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I know. I've never heard anyone else say they don't like it either. And I can't figure out why. My main example is this. On tivo if you press Guide it brings up the TV guide. On Sky, if you press TV guide it brings up a sub menu where I have to press TV guide again. Why? Why does it do that. I want the f**king TV guide, not more bloody options.
It's because the remote hasn't really been upgraded since day one.

They need a new remote IMO

Pressing the 'back up' button on the Sky remote, while watching a programme, takes you straight to the TV guide. If you use some of the shortcuts on the remote then it makes it just that little bit easier. Saying that I never use it myself, never really had that much of an issue pressing TV guide then select.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
How is that intuitive though. Back up for the TV guide? I though back up just took you back up to the previous menu? So if the TV guide wasn't the last menu accessed it won't bring it up?

I agree that tivo has its flaws, but to say Sky is the more polished product is just a lie. IMO.

Yeah it's primarily used to go back to previous menus but it can also be used as a shortcut button for the TV guide when you're watching a programme. The 'play' button is a shortcut for your planner, just saves you accessing them through the TV guide button and saving the grand total of 0.025 seconds.

I agree though that I think they need to update their remote to accomodate this.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
No it's not. It's faaaaaaar better. It is polished imo.
The speed of the menus is so much quicker. Much quicker to press the guide then ok on than it is to press to guide on tv the. Wait for it to appear.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It's always seemed like the android/apple argument to me.

I like the idea of Tivo/Android and it should be a very powerful tool, however Sky/iOS just works and works well.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Does anybody know anyone who works for Virgin Media? Moving house shortly and need some discount.

p.s the Tivo box is terrible but the broadband makes up for it.

SQ5
Pressing the 'back up' button on the Sky remote, while watching a programme, takes you straight to the TV guide. If you use some of the shortcuts on the remote then it makes it just that little bit easier. Saying that I never use it myself, never really had that much of an issue pressing TV guide then select.

That was an annoying update, luckily it can be turned off.

I don't think the Sky remote needs an upgrade, but maybe the interactive button should be on demand and TV guide goes straight to TV guide. Only thing I'd change.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
f**k. That. Surely tethering off your 3G phone will be faster than that?

Bet you cant even watch HD p**n??!
I get 4g in my area and on my OPO so yes faster.
Shame there isn't no unlimited 4g plans yet.

HD p**n? Not a chance. Took me 10 mins to buffer to watch start to finish a music video tonight. That was at below 720p