ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vista OEM system builders help

1.2 Dynamique billabong
hey guys i need a bit of help. i bought a new pc recently but it has no operating system. i then bought a copy of vista off ebay, it was advertised for first time installations rather than for upgrades. When i received it i discovered it was the OEM system builders version. is this the correct version for what i need. it also mentions about needing OPK preinstallation kit.
any help would be great as i dont want to open it and then find out its not what i need.
cheers
James

1 Series Coupe
OEM is the one for system builders. OEM can only be installed on one machine. ie. locked to that particular motherboard. In which case it should be fine.

Clio 182
Yup, will install fine but officially if you ever change motherboard or PC then you will have to buy a brand new copy.

dk

911 GTS Cab
hey guys i need a bit of help. i bought a new pc recently but it has no operating system. i then bought a copy of vista off ebay, it was advertised for first time installations rather than for upgrades. When i received it i discovered it was the OEM system builders version. is this the correct version for what i need. it also mentions about needing OPK preinstallation kit.
any help would be great as i dont want to open it and then find out its not what i need.
cheers
James
did it come with an OEM license key or is it just the media?

Not a Clio
Yup, will install fine but officially if you ever change motherboard or PC then you will have to buy a brand new copy.

Does that mean you wouldn't be able to (re)activate it on an upgraded/new system or you could but it wouldn't be legal?

1 Series Coupe

Does that mean you wouldn't be able to (re)activate it on an upgraded/new system or you could but it wouldn't be legal?

If the MB fails, you can ring up Microsoft and they may give you a new key if you say the MB has died.

Clio 182

Strictly speaking they're not supposed to re-activate it, but they did a lot for XP and always worth a try. :)

Not a Clio
How about a non OEM version? I'm thinking about getting Vista soon but don't want to have to buy it again when I next upgrade.

Not a Clio
cheers :)

Edit: Seems it's cheaper to buy OEM and then buy it again after an upgrade.

OEM Home Premium = £57.87 (ebuyer price)
Non-OEM Home Premium = £175.24 (ebuyer price)

Could get 3 OEM dvd's for the same price as one non OEM.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I have Vista OEM and have used the same code on different machines, MS don't have a clue what they are doing!