ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viwing this car Friday - thoughts?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love the wheels, decent price if you ask me, i'm not up on mmy 197's too much tho.

Shame it's missing the caro's but you get what you pay for.

Crappy work hire car
Are they 197 wheels in anthracite, or from the Megane? They look bigger but it might be 'cos of the colour, I can't decide lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah they might be meg wheels. They are 18's.

they look nice if they are, but the standard ones re-furbed look the same but 1" smaller.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
On 2nd thoughts they are too small to be 18's.

Crappy work hire car
Thanks. I'm hoping the cars in good nick when I see it as I'm sick of waiting now, and the price is good in comparison to others on Autotrader

Barge
Check for the known faults. Especially 3rd gear clunking and alloy bubbling, but I guess it's out of warranty now so they wouldn't fix those.

Front bumper under the passenger side light often comes free too, so check the clip hasn't snapped. Door seals also tend to rip and crack too.

Crappy work hire car
Thanks Needster :)

I don't usually like dark wheels gally, but I must admit these look quality with the red!

Barge
Some other people have had issues with the wipers having a chunk missing out of them. Mine didn't but I know some have. Just basically toothcomb it, despite it being a relatively new car, it won't be without faults - it might not be as severe as the need for a new gear box but hopefully it'd just be tiny cosmetic things. :) Good luck - hope it's a good one.

UR is lovely.

320d
Looks clean. Just make sure its been serviced and all the usual problems needster mentioned.

Might be worth checking if its had the updated map put on it that sorts out the cold running problems.

Crappy work hire car
Great thanks all I've made a list, luckily my OH's dad is mechanically minded 'cos I'm not, so I know what to tell him to look for! :D

Barge
Oh and BTW, the clunking in 3rd might happen at low revs (sometimes it used to stick a bit) but it's usually when you change at around 5k upwards. I moaned at Renault for ages and they said they couldn't find the fault, until I showed them by taking one of the mechanics for a ride out. Then emptied the oil and said yep needs a new gear box. LOL!

Clio 1970000000
Check for 3rd gear crunch, any oil leaks by the spark plugs and make sure it hasn't been dented. Most important, make sure the brakes are very strong. The pads are slightly too big for the calipers and can make the calipers seize. Don't worry if the car kangeroos down the road from cold as long as it smooths out after a minute or so. Check that the engine is cold before you switch it on. If it was warmed up before you arrived, be suspicious.

It has standard wheels painted anthracite. Looks very nice.

Good luck and be cool.

Crappy work hire car
I told you I'd noticed the leak by the plugs on the last one didn't I Marv? Even I'll be able to spot that one now - lol! I'll listen out for the clunking in 3rd too, as that sounds very worrying! Thanks again guys! Fingers crossed I'll actually have a 197 soon...

Clio 1970000000
I told you I'd noticed the leak by the plugs on the last one didn't I Marv? Even I'll be able to spot that one now - lol! I'll listen out for the clunking in 3rd too, as that sounds very worrying! Thanks again guys! Fingers crossed I'll actually have a 197 soon...

Leak should be easy to fix though, so don't be put off if that is the only problem. The worst thing about that car is that it is just outside of the warranty. We have already had the extended warranty debate but it might be worth calling Renault and seeing if they will offer you an extended warranty before seeing the car on Friday. You have the number plate, so they should be able to tell you the service history as well.

Crappy work hire car
Leak should be easy to fix though, so don't be put off if that is the only problem. The worst thing about that car is that it is just outside of the warranty. We have already had the extended warranty debate but it might be worth calling Renault and seeing if they will offer you an extended warranty before seeing the car on Friday. You have the number plate, so they should be able to tell you the service history as well.

I'll do it now, thanks

Barge
TBH, get a look at the service book when you go. Renault don't keep a central database of all services on its vehicles, so you'd need to know where its services were carried out. I assume it has to have FRSH for them to offer extended warranty?

Clio 1970000000
If the car has been serviced at a Renault main dealer, it will be on the central database. Any other main dealer can look it up. That's what happened to me when I bought my 197.

Barge
I think a few of the dealers down south are linked up and share information. I know when I've looked for history Renault have said there's no central database. How odd. Roffle at the inconsistency.

Clio 1970000000
I bought Seb's car which he had serviced where he lives. I went to my local Renault garage, gave them the number plate and they knew that the car had a full history and was still under warranty.

Crappy work hire car
Just rang Renault UK - they don't have a central database of servicing info but she gave me the name of the original dealer to call who should be able to track it down for me. She also said extended warranty can only be taken during the original warranty period but a franchised warranty is available on the car from my local garage. Very helpful!

Crappy work hire car
I saw the title, I daren't look in case I like it - my OH booked us a holiday on Sunday 2 weeks all inc to Mexico, so I've had to trim the car budget slightly lol!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Albi owns all in the 197.

Fact no contest ftw iirc. imo!

Clio 1970000000
Personally, I just can't get on with the Cup spoil-it. It just looks too big for the car and a bit Halfrauds. Rest of the car looks very tidy.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't work with albi unless it has all the spoilers and dark wheels.

I like albi without the spoiler r27 style with decals.

Crappy work hire car
The blue is nice, but red is my fave colour, so its a win in my book as long as all the above stuff checks out. I really like the dark wheels on it too, which is something I never thought I'd say!

Clio 1970000000
I like the dark wheels too. I have 2 sets of wheels for my car and was thinking of getting the second set painted anthracite but the silver and the Nimbus really go well together.......when the car is clean that is ;)

Crappy work hire car
Maybe she wasn't that helpful...I'm still waiting for the email with the info in!

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
Very pretty in red! Just look out for all the usual, signs of accident damage (mismatching panels, close/no shut lines etc) and check it has all the history etc.
It's worth texting its reg to that mytextcheck (83600) to make sure it has no outstanding finance.

Crappy work hire car
Thanks, I'd not heard of that mytextcheck, just done it and its well quick - nice one!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
red does look decent, shame it has no xenons or even cornering lights as the front of the car is rotten without them

Clio 1970000000
Thanks, I'd not heard of that mytextcheck, just done it and its well quick - nice one!

Now all you have to do is buy it!!!!!!!

Don't worry about the Xenon's etc. More things to go wrong IMO. The standard lights are plenty bright enough.