ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VMware Fusion & new 2012 MBP [ethernet driver question]

Hello. If I were to run Windows in VMware Fusion on a new 2012 MBP, would the Windows installation need its own drivers for the thunderbot-ethernet adaptor? In fact, will it need any drivers, or would it use the Mac's own IO drivers, including Superdives etc?

Also, will I be able to see anything at that crazy resolution on a 15" panel? I'm assuming I'll need to scale up the Windows system fonts, which in my experience can be buggy with many applications. This second question was sort of answered in the WWDC 2012 thread, but that was in the context of Bootcamp, which I don't really want to use anymore, as rebooting is a pain.

Cheers.

Ok I see. Although I'm guessing then that a driver for the ethernet adaptor may take some time coming? This is mission critical for me. I absolutely must be able to use ethernet straight away for Windows.

EDIT: FYI I personally think that s**t-canning the RJ45 port was a stupid move for a supposedly fully featured high-end notebook. I understand it's probably due to packaging, but FFS.

Last edited:
Blimey. I'm reading that the retina MBP will be scaled up to have exactly the same size UI elements as the old one. So 1440x900, basically. In which case, much like the retina iPad, everything will be crisper, but you won't actually get anymore screen space. Or to put it another way, I'm now definitely not getting one, and this thread is redundant.

F*ck you Apple. Pro my arse :(

I can only hope they see sense and release a 17" with a proper screen worthy of the Pro tag, but that's looking highly unlikely.

Interesting. Cheers for the link. Although does that mean non-native scaled? As in blurry? Either way it all seems like a bit of a nightmare. I'd much rather just have a native 1920x1200. Ditching the 17" is bad news for a lot of people, although I'm sure Apple won't suffer as a business.

Now to start the hunt for a high quality 17" Windows laptop. I'd better start getting used to plastic again. FFS :(

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Blimey. I'm reading that the retina MBP will be scaled up to have exactly the same size UI elements as the old one. So 1440x900, basically. In which case, much like the retina iPad, everything will be crisper, but you won't actually get anymore screen space. Or to put it another way, I'm now definitely not getting one, and this thread is redundant.

F*ck you Apple. Pro my arse :(

Yup, as you say in normal use it'll have an effective res of 1440x900, but everything will be in finer detail.

But applications will be able to make use of the full res if need be then giving you the super duper res so it's not all s**t :) Just got to make sure that whatever apps you're using are coded for the retina display.

Am guessing that if running Windows it will make full use of the res anyway.

Edited to say just read the above, so you get to choose whether you want the 'retina' effect or make use of the full res, not as bad then.

Meh. I'm just gonna stick with my trusty old 2009 MBP actually. Maybe add an SSD for a performance boost.

The nicest looking non-Apple machine I can find, is the HP Envy 17, and that just looks like you wanted a Mac but couldn't afford one.

Most reviews are saying that changing the res to the 1920x1200 kind of res actually looks better than a standard MBP

Apple has streamlined the Display settings menu in system preference. Gone is a numerical list of resolutions. Instead we have two radio buttons — "Best for Retina display," which is default and provides no further tweaking, and "Scaled." There are five levels of scale, with Retina in the middle. You can opt for larger text that "looks like 1024 x 640" but screencaps at 2048 x 1280 (i.e. quadruple the resolution) or for more space that "looks like 1920 x 1200" with an image that screencaps to 3840 x 2400. At either of those extremes, the Retina text still looks better than its non-Retina counterparts, so it’s really more of a personal preference than it is a way to try and make older apps look better.

Last edited:
I bet I don't. Decided this evening for sure. I use mine professionally. This new model is not for professionals. It's a 15" Air.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
haha. I keep taking myself to the checkout page but have not had the guts to press the order button.

I don't NEED one but the potential outlay is only around £400-£500 with the sale of my 15" MBP ... hmmmm

I've been looking at the Samsung 7-series 17.3". It looks really nice and seems one of the higher quality non-Apple notebooks.

Then I realise that I don't think I could handle not having iPhoto, iCloud and Photostream etc. etc. The Apple experience across multiple devices is simply superb. No matter how personally annoyed I am at the lack of a new 17" machine, moving back to Windows for my personal computing would seem a bit like cutting my nose off to spite my own beautiful face.

But then what if I buy the 15" and then they decide to produce a 17" after all? I think I'd kill myself.

AK

M240i
With most laptops they seem to be the same way as the phones.

Any I look at I end up comparing to an Apple equivalent.

This is very true. Apple designs are just so desirable. I'm just pissed because I feel that functionality should not be removed from 'Pro' products. I'm all for change, but seriously - RJ45 is a legacy connection? In their dreams maybe. Assholes.