ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Void Insurance

Clio Dyn 1.2
hey all, just a quick question about car insurance and undeclared mods. Many people insure there cars, but dont declare there mods so legally they are insured. However if they were ever in an accident, and the insurance companies go to the far end of a fart not to payout, and find mods which havnt been declared, they will make the insurance void.

What are the punnishments of this, points?? jailtime?? a huge fine? becuase if you nock some1 other, the police will obviously be involved and if they find out your insurance is void! your up sh!ts creek

//sev

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I would imagine they would be obliged to cover damage you have done to a 3rd party but would tell you to do one if you tried to claim any damage to your own property.

Best way is never to put it to the test and always insure any mods you have and stay legal.

Clio Dyn 1.2
so people who do stuff like map there car, add alloys etc are taken a huge risk if they were ever to have an accident. Also if you were in the situation where you took some1s life, and your insurance was void because you put alloys or whatever on, what would happen? Theres no price to a life, how would some1 compensait that?

sev

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Insurance is a declaration of truth, you lie you not covered.

Petrol Blue 182.
ive herd mixed things about this, ive herd that some one didnt declair there mods, crashed but got paid out on them, also herd that if you ent decleard you get nothing, my mate got pulled and old bill rang his insurance to see if his mods were delceared which they were, thats why i have fully decleared my mods :), plus £500 for suspension and not insurin it, i didnt rle fancy that lol

Clio Dyn 1.2
there is a very fine line tbh

but im sure if your insurance is void because of minor mods such as alloy wheels, the insurance company will still payout for 3rd parties, just not cover the damage to your car?

RB 200 Cup!
end of the day not worth not declaring - i was happy cos my insurance company didnt put my premium up at all but everything was covered

A Flamin' Red one
Does anyone else get the feeling that this hypothetical situation of knocking somone over and taking their life isn't so hypothetical!?

It sound like the whole "i've got this friend..." chat!

Clio Dyn 1.2
Does anyone else get the feeling that this hypothetical situation of knocking somone over and taking their life isn't so hypothetical!?

It sound like the whole "i've got this friend..." chat!

some people are just so cynical!

i was just curious why some people take such high risks to save a few 100 quid on there insurance, which could end up costing them thousands, points, or even banned or jail sentence.

Anyone know how many points or what fine you would get, ans surly having invalid insurance once and being caught for it will be a right pain when going for car insurance in the future.

Arctic blue 182ff
the way i see it is, if you insure your standard clio, but crash the clio with o.z alloys and extra mods, its not the car that was desribed to the insurers... therefore null and void.

however, my last car was boy'd up 106, got reversed into whilst oi was parked, and that wasnt an issue, because it was the 3rd parties policy.

Arctic blue 182ff
Anyone know how many points or what fine you would get, ans surly having invalid insurance once and being caught for it will be a right pain when going for car insurance in the future.

my mate got 6 points for not declaring aftermarket alloys and a spax set up

No insurance is a standard 6 points......perhaps more if you go to Court to contest it and get found guilty.

I used to work for an insurance company, and if they find out about any undeclared modifications then most likely they will cancel your policy and give you a refund.....leaving you to pick up the bill for the accident you just tried claiming for.

Harsh? As stated above, when you take out an insurance policy you are agreeing a contract, as part of that contract it states all modifications should be declared. If you don't, then you have broken your side of the contract and the insurance company have every right not to fulfill theirs.

For the sake of a few extra quid, it's really not worth the risk!

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Insurance companies are quite happy to take your money and look for the slightest reason not to pay out. So if your mods are declared they will then have to replace those should they become damaged as well.
I got quoted 700 quid to renew my insurance 2 years back without mods (still pretty high after being hit by someone who wasn't insured 2 years previous to the quote) I then had the misfortune of being T-boned on a two lane roundabout by some plank in a corsa tuning right. As soon as the insurance company found out my quote then went back up to 1100 quid even though I wasn't at fault and only just recently has the third party finally admitted liability so I have my excess back but still waiting for a refund from the insurance company for the extra they have been charging me on insurance since because the insurance company i was with still haven't forwarded the letter to them saying my no claims are still intact.
Anyway enough ranting like I said quick enough to take but not so quick to give back and isn't it funny how they are quick enough to pass on information concerning a claim but suddenly when you try and get information back off them it's 'oh well we have no way of talking to them'
USE THE BLUMMIN' PHONE YOU PR%&@S

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
and if you not someone over......... instead of fitting speed cameras everywhere put up railings/barriers along the road edge so pedestrians can only cross at designated crossing areas so if they get knocked over because they jumped the railing then they are at fault and not the driver so all you have to worry about is hitting other cars................ job done.

Clive the Clio no. 2
what would happen if you changed your alloys but.... you swapped them with some other renault ones.

e.g. 182 wheels on a 182 to turinis?

is that void if you dont declare them?

reason i ask is because i swapped my mk3 canasta alloys to the mk2 172 FF alloys and havent declared them.

The way ive read stuff and tried to make sense of it myself over the last year is, If you have a car with a mod such as a air filter or a exhaust for example if you had a crash fully comp, The insurance would be void.. But they would only pay 3rd party and not pay for your damage?

I know people with mods that are far too much to be undecalred; I.e. lowered alloys exhaust tints not decared. but he dosnt care because "im 3rd party, they wouldnt pay for my anyway" still seems stupid to me as he can get 6 points ?

If the police pull you over are they likely to scower the car with a fine tooth comb? Looking under the hood etc?

what would happen if you changed your alloys but.... you swapped them with some other renault ones.

e.g. 182 wheels on a 182 to turinis?

is that void if you dont declare them?

reason i ask is because i swapped my mk3 canasta alloys to the mk2 172 FF alloys and havent declared them.

I was thinking this, I think as long as they look like they are not too aftermarket the insurance company would be none the wiser?

Ive got dynamique alloys and ive seen my car model with 172 alloys on so i could swap to 172s could i ?

Ian

Focus TDCi
I asked Tesco and they said that because they are not standard to the car as it left the factory they will still need declaring. They class them as an optional extra and asked me to pay an additional £250 plus an extra £100 on top of my excess to insure them.

I explained that they were Renault alloys to the same value of the set already on the car, but there's nothing they will do.

Perhaps other insurance companies will take a different line, but I imagine they will still want to know, even if they then choose not to increase your premium.

In my case I'm waiting til next year to put them on.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah they do, with Tesco at least; I can't really cover any other company as I've only asked Tesco. It's in my post above for a bit more info.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
IIRC some companies class the cup packs on 182's an modifications, even though thats how they left the factory.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sorry yeah, I probably worded that bit wrong. If it's an optional extra that isn't on the standard model (i.e. something you have to specify when you buy it) they'll want you to declare it.

varies from company to company

+1 really.

Mk3 SX
Most insurance companies will try and get out of paying a claim. If you were involved in an accident and your vehicle was heavily modified (without telling the insurance company), they could possibly void the cover back to when it was taken out, therefore making you uninsured at the time of the accident, Thus also getting you in trouble with the police for driving with no insurance. It's a worst case scenario but possible. Better off letting them know and paying a small additional premium (depending on the mods of course).

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Check what the insurance company lists your car as....... mines just a standard plain 182 none cup, but when they checked the registration it comes up listed as a trophy. So you might be paying more than you should.