ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VOIP on a Nokia e71

I've had a Tesco Internet Phone for years but only recently started using it now I've finally set up a proper home office.

Was looking at a voip to analog converter like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Port-LINKSY...K_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item19b97bc758

So I could use a home phone on the VOIP without having the PC on all the time. I dont get any mobile reception at home and I dont want to be giving work/clients etc my home number..

Just found out that my Nokia can do this for nowt. Guide below for anyone who uses tesco, but I'm sure it would work with other providers. Not my guide btw.

The following settings work on the Nokia VOIP application. Hope they are of use.

STEP 1

Go to Tools / Settings / Connection / SIP settings.
Choose Options/ New SIP Profile and create the following profile;
Profile Name: Tesco
Profile: IETF Default
Access point: (your WLAN AP name)
Public user name: 0123456789@tescointernetphone.com
(When recorded your phone may show sip:0123456789@tescointernetphone.com)
Use Compression: No
Use Security: No

STEP 2

Enter the following for Proxy Server settings
Proxy Server Address: sip.tescointernetphone.com
(When recorded your phone may show sip:sip.tescointernetphone.com)
Realm: tescointernetphone.com
User Name: 0123456789
Password: Enter the password that you chose when you signed up for the service.
Allow loose routing: Yes
Transport type: Auto
Port: 5060

STEP 3

Enter the following for Registrar Server settings
Registrar Server: sip.tescointernetphone.com
(When recorded your phone may show sip:sip.tescointernetphone.com)
Realm:tescointernetphone.com
User Name: 01234567890

Password: Enter the password that you chose when you signed up for the service.
Transport Type: Auto
Port: 5060

STEP 4

Go to Tools / Settings / Connection / Internet Tel. Settings
Create a new profile for "Tesco"(0123456789), name it "Tesco"
Choose "Tesco" as Preferred profile

STEP 5

For better voice quality or in order to be able to make VoIP calls over 3G internet connection you need to use Nokia SIP VoIP Application you installed.
Go to Applications on your phone and click on "VoIP Settings" application. Choose VoIP services (or the name of your Tesco account Internet profile.)
Click on "Profile Settings" and find "Allow VoIP over WCDMA" option and change it to "ON" This change allows VoIP over 3G connection on Nokia phones.
For better voice quality go to Codecs and delete all codecs except G729. There should be only G729 codec left under codecs settings

Will still get the Linksys box for home, but for now this is ace :cool:

VOIP is the future.

Used to use it on my n80, intergrated nicely. The quality wasn't great but that may have been my provider or internet connection. Drains battery life fast though.

They helpfully removed it on my n96 and i get that many minutes now on my contract I don't need it fortunately.