ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo 440 Turbo engine into a Clio

After getting cut up by a truck on friday night my Volvo 440 Turbo is wrote off.

Ive heard before that the engine (same as R19 1721cc lump) can be fitted into a clio?

Has anyone got any experience with this? What driveshafts to use? Whats the biggest rad? Is there a decent space for an intercooler? etc

Never really looked at clios before. But as the truck didnt stop and im only third party I now have a nice big garden ornament that needs something doing with it.

it should drop straight in. jsut make sure you use the clio engine mounts, and it will fit fine. the clio uses the 1794cc f3p(8v) engine, which is identical dimension wise to the 440turbo lump. wud go pretty well in a clio!!!

jimbo

the 440 used 2 renault lumps, the 1.4 turbo and the 1.7.
the 850 also used the 5cylinder engine out of teh safrane......they had a nice little replationship between them

I am suprised this engine aint used in more conversions as the 1721 engine was a good one and used all over the place, 21, 5, 19 and others. I dont think it would be that much hassle to do either, wiring could be a problem, but if I remember rightly its usually bosch jetronic that is used in volvo turbo, definetly should try it. Reno 5 1.7 are rare and one that had a turbo would be rapid alright.

Alex

Anyone got specs and sites for these Volvo turbo lumps?. How different are they to the Clio 1,8 16v lump?.

Cheers,

Chun.

BenR - Ive never known a 1.4 turbo in a volvo, the only spec I can find listed at all is for the 1721cc as follows:

bodywork
Type 4/5S HBK

Designer
Number of doors
dimensions & weights
Wheelbase 2504 mm 98.6 in
Track front 1420 mm 55.9 in
rear 1426 mm 56.1 in
Length 4310 mm 169.7 in
Width 1710 mm 67.3 in
Height 1400 mm 55.1 in
Ground clearance
Curb weight 1060 kg 2337 lb
Weight distribution
(Front)
Fuel capacity 60
litres 13.2
UK Gal 15.9
US Gal
aerodynamics
Drag coefficient
Frontal Area
Cx
engine
Code
Manufacturer Renault
Type S-4
SOHC
8 valves total
2 valves per cylinder
Bore × stroke 81.00mm × 83.50mm
3.19 in × 3.29 in
Bore/Stroke ratio 0.97
Displacement 1721 cc
(105.022 cu in)
Unitary capacity 430.25 cc/cylinder
Construction
Coolant Water
Main bearings
Compression ratio 8.10:1
Fuel system Renix fuel inj.
Aspiration Turbo
Compressor type Garrett T2 turbo
Intercooler
Max. output 120.0 bhp (89.5 kW)
@5400 rpm
Max. torque 175.0 nm (129 lbft) (17.8 kgm)
@3300 rpm
Max. rpm
Specific output 69.7 bhp/litre
1.14 bhp/cu in
Specific torque 101.69 nm/litre
performance
Note: A value of -1 means that
the car cannot attain that speed.
0-50mph (80 km/h)
0-60mph 9.60s
0-100km/h
0-100mph
80-120km/h
(50-70mph)
in top
0-Quarter-mile 17.10s
0-Kilometre
Top speed 198 km/h
CO2 Emissions
Power-to-weight 113.21 bhp/ton

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Will it go straight in a 16v. Just wondering as it seems the easiest way of getting a turbo lump into a 16v. But if that is the case how come its not a popular conversion, is it a low boost turbo or something?

Seemed to bugger up my last post...

Ive never heard of a 1.4 turbo volvo. not in the haynes or my 400 series dealer data book thing.

I guess a 1.8 RSi would be a good base for the conversion as all the mounts would be correct? Anyone know the flow rate for the fuel pump?

Nice spec sheet posted. Where was that from? Although the fuel injection is Bosch LH Jetronic 2.2 (Hot wire AMM), and the ignition/boost is Bosch EZ210K.

The specific capacity is rather pants as standard. But I think it responds well to mods (better intercooler, bigger throttle, bigger exhaust). Quite a few between 150-200bhp without any major work.

Whats the biggest rad in a clio? The Turbo D one? Is the speedo electronic? How much space is there at the front? Need to fit an intercooler and possible oil cooler down there.
Many questions....

I guess there arent many used in conversions as the 400 series Turbos werent that common?

Ahhhaa....

Nice meeting you. Very nice clio you have too, watched some of your quarters and some good times too.

Saw you beat the GTi-6.

Hi Chris, cant remember where I found that now, one of the volvo sites I think, and on the point of Bosch or Renix, well Volvo did switch a few times between the two, even on the same models :-/

Anyway, it should turn into a little beasty if you do transplant that lump in, then start modding

hi chris, ive just started this same conversion today. already run into some small problems. hoping to have it running by end of week. e-mail me id like to chat.!!!

andy.bloxsome@ntlworld.com

Andy.