ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo M56 gearbox on Renault F4R engine?

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Has anyone tried fitting a Volvo M56 gearbox to their Clio I'm curious because these were built during the time when Volvo and Renault were buddies. Renault had it's own product code for this transmission (VM1) which was used on some Safranes.
Seems like a solid piece of swedish engineering, it's very compact as it's a 3 shaft design and can take billions of torque :p (Volvo 850 T5s use them, these get tuned to ridiculous figures). It's shorter than a Renault ND0 but the diff casing seems a lot larger (and stronger) than any Renault gearbox, seems larger than the ND0 even.
I couldn't find any relevant info on Google so here I am asking the pros! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Interesting idea, has the crank sensor located in same position doesnt it? Or is that a different volvo box? Will certainly need that anyway if running on standard management!

No idea if the mounting holes lines up though.

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
The main shaft has a different tooth configuration than the Renault gearboxes but apart from that I don't know more. I'll try to search one at the wreckers and get a drawing of the bolt pattern, see if it lines up with the usual lineup of Renault gearboxes.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The main shaft has a different tooth configuration than the Renault gearboxes but apart from that I don't know more. I'll try to search one at the wreckers and get a drawing of the bolt pattern, see if it lines up with the usual lineup of Renault gearboxes.

Main shaft teeth not really an issue if the clutch are same diameter as you can just use the renault outer and volvo inner.

Clio 172
I think they are a cable shift too. Not a major problem if everything else fits but something to consider.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure its much of a muchness as a vag box

I looked Into Volvo boxes when I was looking at mine, the m4 something is a jc5 iirc

MOS

Clio 172 PH1
The PFxxx boxes are Licence builds of Volvo's M56 boxes. That's what i have learned from my Renault instructor here in Denmark. So it should be possible if the bellhouse was swapped.