ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo V70 D5 - G-Techniq 40+ hours

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
As it's been such a while since my last post; I thought I'd start off again with a bang!

As always, comments welcome.

~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Volvo V70 D5 – a 40+ hour “White Detail” with full G-Techniq all surface protection.

Having owned the car from new, the owner made contact enquiring about the best way to get the V70 back to better than showroom condition. Throughout.

After a quick browse of the portfolio (particularly the Volvo XC90 that went through similar treatments: http://www.whitedetails.co.uk/index.php?id=181) the owner was sold.

Product

• 303 Aerospace Protectant
  • 3M Glass Cleaner
  • AutoSmart G101
  • AutoSmart Tardis
  • AutoSmart Hazsafe
  • Auto Finesse Rejuvenate
  • AMDetails Bubbles
  • AMDetails Mild Clay
  • G-Techniq C1 Crystal Lacquer
  • G-Techniq G1 Clear Vision
  • G-Techniq C4 Trim Restore
  • G-Techniq C5 Wheel Armour
  • IPA (isopropyl alcohol)
  • Jeffs Werkstat Acrylic Prime
  • LTT Auto Ultra Foam
  • Meguiars Last Touch
  • Meguiars Wheel Brightener
  • Meguiars NXT Metal Polish
  • Meguiars Super Degreaser
  • Menzerna 203s
  • Menzerna 85RD
  • Menzerna 85RD 3.02
  • Scholl Concepts S17+
  • Wolfs Chemicals Decon Gel
  • Zaino Z6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer
  • Zaino Z-16 tyre dressing

Vehicle picked up on Sunday night, work commenced Monday morning.

Inspection.

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

Early signs that there’s a dog in the family:

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

Dog confirmed!

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

Wet muddy dog shaking in the car = a big mess:

DSC_0218.jpg

First job was to start stripping the car down. Headlight protectors and registration plates first off.

DSC_0201.jpg

With the wheels off, the were cleaned with Megs Wheels Brightener, AutoSmart Tardis used to remove tar spots and finally Wolfs Decon Gel to help shift the stubborn pitting that had formed. (Inbetween all this, all previous wheel weight glue was removed and arches were deep cleaned throughout)

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

Last but not least, the N/S/F wheel is removed. *ooft!* ouch.

DSC_0225.jpg

^Problem. Two hairline cracks on the inner rim. Will look into this later.

It’s Avant/Tourer/Estate central today at WD HQ:

DSC_0242.jpg

Moving onto the bodywork. AS Hazsafe applied through HD Foam Lance to help soften surface grime.

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

Intricate areas tickled with a soft bristled brush before a thorough rinse and moving on to the two bucket wash:

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

AutoSmart Tardis applied generously before finally claying the vehicle to remove other bonded contaminants (surprisingly clean)

DSC_0256.jpg

Inside and blown dry, we can start to take a look at the paintwork.

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

Some areas were worse than others. The N/S was covered in long deep scratches running the length of the vehicle; possibly induced by a close encounter with a hedgerow or similar.

Starting my polishing set on the bonnet, I test various polish and pad combinations and set to work.

DSC_0268.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

There were lots of deeper marks to tackle.

DSC_0272.jpg

Overlapping passes with multiple hits were required to pull these out to a level of correction I was happy with (with the low paint thickness readings in mind…)

DSC_0276.jpg

Moving high up onto the roof.

Before:

DSC_0280.jpg

During:

(Again, more scratches that required 3/4 hits to safely remove)

DSC_0281.jpg

And after:

DSC_0283.jpg

An IPA wipedown to confirm correction levels:

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

and I’m happy…

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Lots of door pillars on this car. Quite a timely process!

A-pillar:

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

roofline:

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

And some other ‘general’ afters (B & C pillars)

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

A nasty scratch on the wing mirror housing had to remain; through to the plastics.

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

This is some seriously heavy metallic paint!

DSC_0305.jpg

Before moving onto the bulk of the doors, the bump-strip running the length of the car was corrected first with spot pads and then taped up to allow correction to progress safely.

Before/After:

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

Door good to go.

DSC_0310.jpg

Scratches above drivers door handle. Before/After:

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

Corrected, refined and finished:

DSC_0315.jpg

More scratches that require special attention:

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

Meanwhile, one of the OEM+ club cars was dropped off for a full wheel refurb:

DSC_0320.jpg

Tailgate. Now excuse the clay marring here; there’s lots of it! (Being ‘minus penguins’ at the time of the wash stage doesn’t help the matter)

DSC_0322.jpg

As you can see, a little overkill with the double sided tape that had been previously used! (this was all removed throughout the wash stages)

Using a tiny Dodo Juice wool spot pad, I was able to correct even the tightest of areas:

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

(Albeit heavily marred and in desperate need of refining!)

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

^much better.

Light clusters also requiring a little attention.

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg
DSC_0346.jpg

Half way. Repeat steps down the N/S.

B-Pillars:

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

C and D pillars after:

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

Wing mirror:

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

N/S half of the roof:

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

Remember I spoke about the hedgerow scratches down the N/S? Boom:

DSC_0366.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

N/S/R door.

Before/After:

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

In action (refining):

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

Correction levels:

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

It’s at this point Mr. Tyre Man arrived with my replacement wheel. I presented the options to my customer after discovering the cracked rim and we both decided it was best to replace the whole unit as opposed to go down the alloy-weld route and repair it.

DSC_0390.jpg

The crack:

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

The first thing I noticed about this particular wheel though was the buckle it had! (Seen better days!)

DSC_0401.jpg

On that note, the eagle eyed amongst you will have also noticed the Volvo is missing its rear bumper. “For why?”

In the enquiry process, it was pointed out the N/S corner of the rear bumper had been scuffed quite badly. Not only damaging the paintwork, but also ruining the chrome trim insert and also cracking the N/S rear lamp. All of which, beyond my repair…

• A replacement rear lamp and trim section were ordered from John Darkle Volvo, Lincoln.

The scuffed trim section:

IMG_4649.jpg

and the replacement lamp ready to be fitted:

DSC_0349.jpg

Anyway, that’s that. Time to finish the paint correction:

Bonnet, sorted:

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

After:

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

Sills, bumpers and headlights polished bringing the machine polishing to an end.

Before/After:

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

With such heavy correction, comes lots of dusting. (Testing the new 3M wool pad on the Volvo; it’s good, but.. *ooffft!* the dust!)

Brought outside for a good jet down and for the engine to be tidied.

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

As a final drying aid, water was sheeted over the bodywork to remove the standing water:

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

Once again blown dry with the black baron vehicle dryer.

Engine polished and protected where applicable:

DSC_0430.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

(^bad oil patch on the engine cover that nothing would shift…)

The paintwork received a further deep cleanse with AutoFinnesse’s Rejuvenate applied by DA:

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

Buffed:

DSC_0435.jpg

One or two touch ups to tackle.

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

After a concluding IPA wipedown to ensure paintwork is squeaky squeaky clean, it’s time to break out the G-Techniq.

DSC_0441.jpg

C1 Crystal Lacquer applied to paintwork throughout:

DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

Before glass sealant was applied, windows cleaned inside/out with 3M’s cleaner.

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

Vanity mirrors a bit dirty!

Before/After:

DSC_0452.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

Back to the G.

G1 Clear Vision. Single coat applied on the sides and rear. Three coats, as recommended, on the front.

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

Timer set for 15 minutes; G1’s curing time.

DSC_0457.jpg

Meanwhile, all exterior plastics were treated to C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.

50/50 on scuttle panel:

DSC_0458.jpg

As new: (You can expect approximately 2 years durability from a single application)

DSC_0459.jpg

Roof rails, also C4’d…

DSC_0460.jpg

Before fitting the freshly painted rear bumper, the exhaust was tidied:

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

C4’d the washer jet’s before fitting:

DSC_0476.jpg

New light cluster installed:

DSC_0475.jpg

Dealer stickers removed (upon request)

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

Wheels coated in G-Techniq C5 Wheel Armour.

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0492.jpg

One last final push to complete the interior.

Steering wheel before/after:

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

Visors:

DSC_0482.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

Leather:

DSC_0485.jpg

DSC_0487.jpg

Spare wheel well:

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

Interior complete.

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

DSC_0514.jpg

One or two final exterior touches and we’re about finished.

DSC_0519.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

After all that hard work, there’s no chance these are going back on:

DSC_0520.jpg

New plates will be fitted on day of collection.

“Really….? Did you C4 the key!!??”

“…..maybe?”

DSC_0496.jpg

Fini. Here’s what 43 hours of work looks like:

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0568.jpg

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg

DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0563.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0569.jpg

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg
DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0580.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Jim

Best off emailing him, Edde. Visit the white details website.

P.s long time no speak - glad to see you're posting again chap (Jamie, met you at Demon Tweaks years ago when I'd just joined and you were THE source of clio knowledge).

Best off emailing him, Edde. Visit the white details website.

P.s long time no speak - glad to see you're posting again chap (Jamie, met you at Demon Tweaks years ago when I'd just joined and you were THE source of clio knowledge).
Yep he drop me a message just interested realy how long somehting like that takes and costs. Looking at his prices (and no insult meant its more a state of my car) but the full works would cost more than my cars worth. I'd maybe like to have mine properly cleaned one day, I wash it in the summer thats about all mines every gets once a year.

Ye Im back on here again for the time being. Not sure Im the source of knowedge but I know a few things,

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Jim, i'm so glad you're back and WHAT a return!!!

I'm pretty sure the detailing section doesn't ever use swear words but I don't care, that write up and result was fcuking superb!!

:D

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If people miss your posts, they should find you on FB ;)

What a mission that was :dead:

Can't get past the wheel/tyre combo on that bus however... defo not OEM ! They look far too small. :S 'Archgap' Gally will be along soon with a green face I'm sure.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus Christ, epic turn around.

Genuine question though, what kind of person pays to have all this done to the family volvo???

Mental!

Edde, good to see you back too as forearms says.

That is as close to new as I think it's ever gonna get! Your attention to detail Jim is above and beyond anything that I'd consider!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
"archgap Gally" :D ha!

Thanks guys.

I wasn't a fan of the wheels either. Since completing this though, I've started looking at Ovlov's in a whole new light! :quiet:

Rob, the owner of the car had taken it to the main dealers for a potential trade in and pretty much laughed at what they had offered him in part-ex... Having bought the car brand new for what, £30k+? he didn't fancy losing out so decided to keep the car and instead spend a bit on it.

Full G-Techniq protection to an S320 LWB Merc tomorrow. Not looking forward to that!!

Cheers.

330i. E30 Touring.
Phenomenal turn around, as always. Stunning results- that metallic is gorgeous!

Those wheels are utterly horrible, mind.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rob, the owner of the car had taken it to the main dealers for a potential trade in and pretty much laughed at what they had offered him in part-ex... Having bought the car brand new for what, £30k+? he didn't fancy losing out so decided to keep the car and instead spend a bit on it.

Fair play, but to some degree.. madness, I do see his logic though. Looks like an entirely different car. Bet it feels like one too.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
LMFAO !! :lolup:

Is there enough in the G pots to cover a commercial vehicle...? That's some serious sq.ft'age you'll be covering hahaha.

Good luck :approve:

Commercial? Lol, it's not a van! This:

testimage.aspx

(still lots of sq.ft'age tho!!)

Where have you been?

What a job that was!

Spotted you yesterday mate - Brownhills roundabout. Dont think you saw me? I've been hiding; winter hibernation. Had single day jobs here and there, quite a few actually. Just nothing that has excited me enough to capture it all on camera! (the volvo report took a good 4-5 hours to document!)

Thanks again.

Edition 30
Spotted you yesterday mate - Brownhills roundabout. Dont think you saw me? I've been hiding; winter hibernation. Had single day jobs here and there, quite a few actually. Just nothing that has excited me enough to capture it all on camera! (the volvo report took a good 4-5 hours to document!)

Thanks again.

Hope you didn't see my lane change on exit.
Didn't see you!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely superb Jim! Amazing workmanship again, no surprise!

Such a weird write up yet so epic at the same time. Crazy big bus.

True correction in an industry filled with shisters imo. Always refreshing to read your stuff.

So glad to see you doing full Gtechniq details. My car is currently wearing the same combo thread in GA iirc) all round except the wheels. Simply fantastic products. C1 has amazed me no end.

Utterly unreal. Bit of a weird car to do it on. But amazing skill/knowledge.

One thing, once a car has had this done once, obviously with the low paint readings, is there a limit as to the number of times it can be worked on again, if it gets in bad condition again? You can't just keep doing it if a car is constantly poorly maintained?
Although I'm guessing now its properly protected will last longer like that, although guessing a lot is down to the owner maintaining it as to how long it last looking like that.

Also, reading one of your other threads, is it quite stressful getting a car done when you are under pressure for getting it done within a certain time frame?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Absolutely superb Jim! Amazing workmanship again, no surprise!

Such a weird write up yet so epic at the same time. Crazy big bus.

True correction in an industry filled with shisters imo. Always refreshing to read your stuff.

So glad to see you doing full Gtechniq details. My car is currently wearing the same combo thread in GA iirc) all round except the wheels. Simply fantastic products. C1 has amazed me no end.

Cheers dooood!

Had lots of big ass cars in recently. Friday and Saturday see's a mkv Golf. Easy! ;)

The G-Tech kit is nice. C4 on trim? Awesome. The Glass kit? Awesome. C1 is still early days for me to be honest... Having applied to several panels on my own car I'm still testing the stuff out really. It 'can' be tricky; just got to watch it once it's on, wiped and buffed. #easytomarr

Utterly unreal. Bit of a weird car to do it on. But amazing skill/knowledge.

One thing, once a car has had this done once, obviously with the low paint readings, is there a limit as to the number of times it can be worked on again, if it gets in bad condition again? You can't just keep doing it if a car is constantly poorly maintained?
Although I'm guessing now its properly protected will last longer like that, although guessing a lot is down to the owner maintaining it as to how long it last looking like that.

Also, reading one of your other threads, is it quite stressful getting a car done when you are under pressure for getting it done within a certain time frame?

Thanks mate.

Of course, when you reach the low 100's in thickness, you need to tred carefully. Often, compromise has to be taken (so you're usually lucky to push for >90% correction)

Key is maintenance. The Volvo chap, as much as it pained him to say so, admashitted to using the local handw boys. Shame! In the right hands, with the correct care, kit and time, there's no reason why the car wouldn't remain that way for a couple of years (with top ups here and there etc)

Time restraints can be a pain. That's why it's nice to have your own workshop tho... Often, I'm there till late. 11, midnight some nights... Stay until the jobs done sort of thing.

Here's the last two days work:

tumblr_lzgfb5pgz31roh6tk

A mini report to follow! :)

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Testimonial's just come through:

"I purchased my Volvo V70 D5 new in July 2006 and over the six years it has proved to be both a fine passenger car and a trusty workhorse utilising its massive load bay to the full. It has covered 80000 miles and never let me down once. Recently I became the proud owner of a Volvo S80 D5 Polestar and sadly the V70 has been relegated to nothing more than a dog carrier and as been lucky to get a wash and valet once a month.

I have been tracking Jim's site for some months now and whilst amazed at the quality of his work always adopted a slightly sceptical view that many of the cars shown were fitting of the category of 'big guys toys" and probably only see the road when the sun shines. Then one visit I came across the Volvo X90 and was simply stunned at the transformation that Jim achieved in just a few days.

I decided it was worth the investment to give the V70 a similar makeover. Value wise it is worth far less in the market than it is to me and it goes without saying that properly maintained there is years of economical motoring ahead with it. So to bring the exterior and internal finishing's back to life seemed a logical step to take.

The date with Jim was fixed and he duly arrived as arranged and undertook the challenge ahead. Over the next few days Jim wetted my appetite with updates and the occasional photograph showing him peddling his wares but nothing prepared me for the scope and degree that his work entails. This is born out by the numerous photographs that he takes charting his progress. However beware he his worse than TV's grime busters exposing dirt levels that one never knew was possible let alone in existent!

We picked the car up seven days later and was asked to enter the workshop with our eyes duly closed, this build up was worth the effort for when we opened our eyes the wow factor was awesome, the car looking almost a mirror image of how it looked 6 years ago and I say almost as one has to remember the car has actually covered 80000 miles. The interior especially is amazing and especially given that my Labrador just loves rolling in mud on our frequent trips out into the local countryside and spreading the residual throughout the rear bay.

Overall a great and fulfilling experience and great thanks to Jim whose dedication to detail is simply incredible. I believe this type of makeover cannot be seen as a cost as it adds true value to your asset. A very worthwhile and truly satisfying investment. Thank you."

Awesome feedback.

ITB BG 182
I love to read up on things like this, im interested to know more about the G-Techniq range specially for when I have the alloys re-done.

If i had the time or the cash, i would love to hand over a 14 year old freelander or maybe even a orignal 1981 mk1 fiesta XR2.