ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vvt play - Noise and movement

I posted this on a fb page earlier, but need to get some confirmation in regard to whether my problem is ok to drive.

Opinions Please. Is this movement normal?

Video firstly shows it 3krpm, then 2krpm, then 1.5krpm

Before i took off the cover i though it was the usual vvt going (replaced in 2014 15k miles ago by Ktec) but it has slowly got worse and i can hear it in the cabin upto 3krpm. But the video doesn't pick it up then. Using the screwdriver i heard it loudest on the alternator mount, and upper inlet manifold. Nothing coming through cam cover.

But i then i saw the movement, which i wasn't so sure on as i haven't seen another in person.

I need to know if it will carry on like a normal vvt rattle? Or are my days numbered will end in failure quite soon with a ruined engine.

Cheers

Clio sport 182
I posted this on a fb page earlier, but need to get some confirmation in regard to whether my problem is ok to drive.

Opinions Please. Is this movement normal?

Video firstly shows it 3krpm, then 2krpm, then 1.5krpm

Before i took off the cover i though it was the usual vvt going (replaced in 2014 15k miles ago by Ktec) but it has slowly got worse and i can hear it in the cabin upto 3krpm. But the video doesn't pick it up then. Using the screwdriver i heard it loudest on the alternator mount, and upper inlet manifold. Nothing coming through cam cover.

But i then i saw the movement, which i wasn't so sure on as i haven't seen another in person.

I need to know if it will carry on like a normal vvt rattle? Or are my days numbered will end in failure quite soon with a ruined engine.

Cheers

I wouldn't take the risk if I'm honest. I can't see much movement on the video, maybe slightly.. But I'd say it shouldn't move like that.

I wouldn't take the risk if I'm honest. I can't see much movement on the video, maybe slightly.. But I'd say it shouldn't move like that.
Cheers

In regard to the movement, if you haven't seen it already, you can see it most at the securing bolt and the centre of the vvt pulley.

I wouldn't risk it as I said before mate. I'd get the belt done asap.

Rather that than a new engine?
I'm in a position where the car is cat c and a not very sort after model, and it was cheap to buy. Since i have bought it i spent a fair bit of money on parts, but it's my daily and just for getting to work really. I can't really justify spending 600quid for a cambelt change, nor can i currently afford it.

If anything i would change the vvt dephaser myself.

Also i am supposed to be attending cs day, so I'd rather it go wrong before, and not break down on the 3hour drive or on track!

Clio sport 182
I'm in a position where the car is cat c and a not very sort after model, and it was cheap to buy. Since i have bought it i spent a fair bit of money on parts, but it's my daily and just for getting to work really. I can't really justify spending 600quid for a cambelt change, nor can i currently afford it.

Also i am supposed to be attending cs day, so I'd rather it go wrong before, and not break down on the 3hour drive or on track!

On the track? Defiantly get it done! I mean if it does go spend 350ish on a new engine @bloke has one that's had all belts done 7,000 miles ago. Bargain

Clio 172 Merc ML55
but it's my daily and just for getting to work really. I can't really justify spending 600quid for a cambelt change, nor can i currently afford it.

I get thats its not the cheapest nor easieat job to have done (or do yourself) but whats it going to cost to potentially replace the car ?? if it is your daily then why not be preventative and have it sorted before you run into more problems, yes they're fun and can be found cheap enough, realistically though could you replace the car for the cost of having the belts done?

No
I get thats its not the cheapest nor easieat job to have done (or do yourself) but whats it going to cost to potentially replace the car ?? if it is your daily then why not be preventative and have it sorted before you run into more problems, yes they're fun and can be found cheap enough, realistically though could you replace the car for the cost of having the belts done?
No, you are right. However i still can't justify spending 2/3rds of the value of the car when at current prices i will never get that back (as it is a cat c and a 172) i only really purchased it to my driving to and from work more enjoyable.