ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VW Golf GTI

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So today was collection day! Woke up early and was on the road about 7.30am. The conditions were terrible and multiple accidents and road closures so I knew the journey back would be fun.

Anyway, got there about 9.30am and went in to do the paperwork. Waited for ages, but the money took a while to clear. Took the car over for it's set of PS4s, which I'm happy with so far, then a tank of Vpower and made the journey back home.

As you do when you drive a car for a long time you notice a few other bits that need doing.

Thermostat seems to be a bit slow, cruise control doesn't work or I'm a bit slow, the hours on the clock seem to change like I'm pressing the button to change them when I'm not, very odd and finally a couple of creaks from suspension when in stop start situations.

So overall I'm still happy with it, did about 35mpg on way back. Feels like a good base just needs a bit of love.

The Shell shot and one back at base.

20200229_121424.jpg
20200229_145111.jpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm looking at these at the moment and am only really considering blue, red or white... but damn that looks pretty good in grey!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I'm looking at these at the moment and am only really considering blue, red or white... but damn that looks pretty good in grey!

Up the budget a little mk6 is a great car

This looks a cracker and everything you would need or want to do is already done!

Does yours have paddle extensions? The TT is the first Auto car i've actually used the paddles and they're just a touch too small. But I dont want Ninja death star looking ones which is all people seem to offer.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Does yours have paddle extensions? The TT is the first Auto car i've actually used the paddles and they're just a touch too small. But I dont want Ninja death star looking ones which is all people seem to offer.
Look at the options from OSIR. They aren't cheap but they are full replacements. I'm using the small ones that are pretty much the same size as standard. Just a lot more premium feeling.

They actually seem to have come down in price.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

No it doesn't, the paddles are a bit small, but most of the extensions i have seen are horrible!

I have booked the car in with Volks Techniks in April for a full check over. I have also asked for the thermostat to be done and he said that is one of the worst jobs on these engines! Probably looking about £150 for that.

I do want to book it into R-tech at some point as well to check the maps and general engine health.

Hopefully the car will come back with a relatively clean bill of health!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Look at the options from OSIR. They aren't cheap but they are full replacements. I'm using the small ones that are pretty much the same size as standard. Just a lot more premium feeling.

They actually seem to have come down in price.

They look lovely, might have to order those!

I have booked the car in with Volks Techniks in April for a full check over. I have also asked for the thermostat to be done and he said that is one of the worst jobs on these engines! Probably looking about £150 for that.
Get them to fit a S3 IC and Bilstein B12 suspension whist they're at it. Just so happens I have both :ROFLMAO:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Get them to fit a S3 IC and Bilstein B12 suspension whist they're at it. Just so happens I have both :ROFLMAO:

I have been thinking about the IC, however i want to know i haven't got a shed before spending monies on it. Once i know the car is good then i can think about mods :)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The rad, intercooler and AC condenser come off as one unit IIRC.
So if you're replacing one have a good look to check the condition of the rest, no point putting knackered stuff back on.

A decent pattern Rad or condenser are not that expensive.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The rad, intercooler and AC condenser come off as one unit IIRC.
So if you're replacing one have a good look to check the condition of the rest, no point putting knackered stuff back on.

A decent pattern Rad or condenser are not that expensive.

Yup, that is part of the check over. They will go through all electrical systems as well as mechanical bits so hopefully that side of things will be good. Just pray i don't have a lemon!

Have they shut TPS to the public now? Want to get some trim bits and pieces.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Don't think the stat was too big a job for the lad who did mine.

Was £95 all in because trade lol

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have they shut TPS to the public now? Want to get some trim bits and pieces.

From what I've heard they've clamped down hard on public sales, so unless you're mates with someone working there you can't get served.

Annoying because the service at normal dealers is terrible.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
With the RCD330 there was battery drain on 07 and older. If you have 08 and above your okay. Would guess it’s the same for the other Vw units.

Tbh I want to put my Pioneer in, just didnt know if it would have battery drain issues.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I have battery drain with the random android head unit that came in the car.

Only really an issue if the car is left for 4days for me. It starts like crap in the morning though but most of these cars do.

i need to fit the later gateway or whatever it is, but haven’t gotten round to it. As above, 08 and newer you’re usually fine.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Early Mk2 Leon's had some battery drain issues with stereo upgrades, upgrading the CAN Gateway fixes it.

I had an Android unit in my old Ibiza, the permanent and switched live needed swapping over as they were back-to-front on VAG stuff in that era.

Mk5 Golf GTI

What are these B12's like as a daily/occasional track set up? My Mk5 gti just failed MOT on most suspension components so might be time for coilovers?

Mk5 Golf GTI
Coilover wise I'd be looking sub 1k so don't know whats gunna give me better overall. expensive springs and dampers or mid-range coilovers?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Spoke to Adam at Volkstechiks yesterday and seems optimistic we are going ahead still, depends how much of a lock down we go into. I reckon the DSG has an issue anyways so just have to play it by ear for now.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Judgement day!

Car has finally made it to the garage, we had a quick run through of everything and I will be expecting a call later....

He is doing the thermostat and oil and filter. Then I have given him a list of other things.

Something is defo up with the dsg so that's going to be expensive! Let's wait and see going to be very nervous all day haha.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, probably be the ECU I knew it was a risk, but time will tell.

Coilover wise I'd be looking sub 1k so don't know whats gunna give me better overall. expensive springs and dampers or mid-range coilovers?

I would be looking at ST suspension which is made by KW its very good :)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You might get away with just changing the gearbox oil.

90% of the time it's the same stuff it left the factory with.