ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VW Golf GTI

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
It's when the clutch packs have gone from too many launch control starts from outside the local kebab shop that it starts to cost

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
It's when the clutch packs have gone from too many launch control starts from outside the local kebab shop that it starts to cost

The way it was driving at first made me think it might be the clutch packs, but dont think the mk5 gti has launch control tbf.

Hopefully get a phone call soon. If the box is fucked, then so be it I will sort it but if he has a big list of other issues then probably best to sell and get a v8.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So i have the report back and its a mixed bag really.

Thermostat was done, same for the service. Lets get the elephant in the room sorted first, the gearbox. Adam scanned the modules and found no issues with them, so he has ruled out an electrical issue. He said it up shifts perfectly fine, but it does have a bit of a problem going down the box. He thinks the box hasn't been remapped in anyway. I will discuss with him tomorrow as im not really sure what the issue will be. Might be box out and apart.

I noticed the idle was a little lumpy, he agreed and ran adaptations for the inlet manifold runner as there was a fault code and its fine now. No miss fires are being recorded by the car. I believe this was done when the previous owner had work done and they must of forgot so no big issue.

I was concerned by the door alignment on both sides and the car could of been in a crash. He has adjusted them and they sit better now and no signs of accident damage.

The cruise control looks like it's going to be a new stalk, he thinks the ECM is not seeing the stalk so its not turning on the cruise.

The hours changing by themselves looks like its a dash fault, its not a huge issue, but if i was to fix it would need to send clocks away for repair.

Couldn't find any issues with the door speaker wiring, but i will keep an eye on that.

Needs shock absorbers, some bushes and drop links. Will probably end up replacing the whole lot. Creaking is down to sub frame bolts so a new set of those should sort that.

Intake was checked with the endoscope and he said its appropriate for the age and mileage, but i will get it cleaned when the car goes to R tech.

Rear brakes are slightly sticky so might rebuild/replace and the disc run out is close to maximum so probably a new set of pads/discs whilst we are there.

There is a squeak on WOT when changing gear, seems to be when there is a little bit of steering lock, but can't seem to find the issue and can't be replicated when stationary, there is a slight hole in the exhaust, but not 100% if that's the issue. I'm thinking more turbo side of things, but no mention of turbo issues.

Two other issues noted, slight leak from rad (perfect time for the S3 IC @JB21 ) and one of the pulleys for the alternator has seized.

Overall im reasonably happy with that, the gearbox is still a bit of an issue and will need to be dealt with, but i think with a decent set of suspension and some upgrades we could have a good car on our hands!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Got the car back the other day and it does drive a lot nicer now, the engine feels a lot stronger now since the inlet adaptation was done.

I'm now trying to work out what to do, i know the gearbox will most likely need a mechatronics unit despite nothing being found on the modules. I have a place that is going to drive it and look at the live data and hopefully they can narrow down the issue. Do i spend what is likely to be a couple grand on sorting all the issues and then have a nice GTI or do i just leave it or get a new one....

I have emailed Adam to get some prices to have more work done so that will probably dictate the plan.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd weigh up what the car owes you plus the couple fo grand, if you can find another as good as yours and go from there.

Starting to sink big money into a car you've got to ask yourself if its worth it..

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I have decided to keep and repair the car, it has now been dropped off for the gearbox to be repaired. Looks like it's going to be the clutch pack, but I will find out at the end of the week. They are going to test the lot so let's see.

I'm then going to order all the parts for the other jobs and get that sorted. At least that way I know the car and know the big jobs have been done.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I have decided to keep and repair the car, it has now been dropped off for the gearbox to be repaired. Looks like it's going to be the clutch pack, but I will find out at the end of the week. They are going to test the lot so let's see.

I'm then going to order all the parts for the other jobs and get that sorted. At least that way I know the car and know the big jobs have been done.

May as well throw a diff in while you're there

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Bad news has been confirmed...

Car needs clutch pack, flywheel and solenoids on the mechantronics so basically the worst situation. Total is going to be just under 2k....then i need to spend money on getting the other jobs sorted. This car is going to owe me a lot, but not sure what else to do.

Bad news has been confirmed...

Car needs clutch pack, flywheel and solenoids on the mechantronics so basically the worst situation. Total is going to be just under 2k....then i need to spend money on getting the other jobs sorted. This car is going to owe me a lot, but not sure what else to do.
What's the webuyanycar trade price?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Trade price on my car is about 2k.

The way im seeing is if i spend the money on the box and all the other jobs then i know the car is 100% sorted but it will owe me a lot. I could sell/part ex the car and spend the same amount as it owes me on something else, but then whos to say that car wont have lots of issues and need a ton of work. Final option would be to say f**k it and spend big money on a car only a few years old with a warranty that wont have any issues.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Could you not just get a low mileage box from a breaker?

Yes, wouldnt probably be best to use my mechatronics with new solenoids, still new a flywheel and clutch pack tho. So realistically it's probably not going down that route anyways.

Might just order a diff now I'm gonna look at prices but they are about 1400 I think for a Wavetrac.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Car back today, 2k down but the car does feel good. It is so stupid in D tho, practically have to drive in S or manual. These boxes need a map. Whilst having a drive I picked up more on how soft and loose the suspension is so that will be next on the list. Treated it to a tank of v power and then decided to take it to Kwik Fit to check the AC. Of course they found an issue. The problem is with the little motor that controls the vents so will get another one of those. The system held pressure and its filled with new fluid now and they didnt charge me so happy days.

Got a few comments on how clean and nice the car was which is always nice :) got a couple pics from the garage.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg
20200522_150310.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Parts have been ordered!!

This has been on my brain for weeks, i couldn't decide if i wanted to get lots of upgrades for the suspension or just go with OEM stuff. After a lot of thinking i decided to stick with OEM stuff. Even though im most likely going to be using the car at weekends only, i decided to save money as i would probably sell the car or it might need something else major down the line.

KYB shocks all round (wanted Sachs, but not in stock)
Eibach Sportline springs all round
Lemforder top mounts with bearings
Valeo Air flap positioning motor for the AC
Lemforder console bushes
Lemforder rear LCA inner bushes
Brembo discs and pads all round
Nissens radiator
Meyle HD and Lemforder drop links all round
SuperPro dog bone insert
Two genuine rear calipers
New subframe bolts

Only thing left to do is the alternator pulley which i will leave to Adam to source. Added it up and by the time the labour is paid its going to owe me 7k+. After all this mechanical stuff has been done, i will look to sorting the interior switches and fitting my stereo, which reminds me i should probably order a canbus gateway....

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Wow you don't let anything beat you.

Guess im a bit OCD like that, if i know there is something that needs doing i want it done as soon as i can. Bit sad, but i have spent the majority of the day looking at part numbers and stuff as now im supplying all the bits, if anything is wrong its going to cost me time, which means money. I also wanted to try and get all these jobs done before i start the new job in June.

Just have to wait for all the shiny stuff to turn up and then get booked in soon as i can.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Time for even more parts! With the majority of the mechanical work soon to be completed, i turned to the interior. Sadly the trims are worn so this morning i took them off to get some part numbers.

When i got the car back from the garage the other week, i got in and shut the door, i pulled it quite hard and the trim came off in my hand and the hook on the right broke.

20200526_121607.jpg

In these pictures you can see the bits of trim that need sorting. I need to get the DSG trim, but you can only buy it with the gear stick so im looking into options for that.

20200526_121125.jpg
20200526_121128.jpg
20200526_121622.jpg
20200526_121134.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Passenger side all sorted now, sadly couldn't remove the bracket on drivers side as its plastic welded so need to get a soldering iron.

20200531_153501.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ha ha maybe. Needed a driver's side ball joint too. Arse. All sorted and aligned.

How long do the springs take to settle, few days?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Ha ha maybe. Needed a driver's side ball joint too. Arse. All sorted and aligned.

How long do the springs take to settle, few days?

Haha you are complaining about a ball joint? I just spent 2k on the gearbox plus another 700ish in parts haha.

The springs were about 120/130 so nice and cheap. The car already has lowering springs on it but no idea on brand (they are yellow) or condition. If they are decent you can have them for cheap.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was just an arse to do apparently.

Spring price is good.

Will give mine a few days as it's sitting a bit high.

Either. Needs a few miles. Wrong ones. Old ones were worn.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If it looks like it's sitting high then you've probs been given normal Golf springs, they did sound suspiciously cheap for GTi springs, even trade discount.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
These are the ones I got from the factors

Looks like the right spring, price is high tho....

Its £31 on their site.