ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

W reg Clio sport 1.4 E7J timing

Clio 1.4s
The engine expired just as it was stopping. No compression so seemed like timing belt problem.
Got it home and sure enough there are a lot of teeth missing from the belt which I understand was replaced a couple of years ago...

Before I take off the head I would like to put on a new belt and check compression (just on the off-chance valves are still OK) but the timing diagrams in the Haynes manual show a reference mark on the valve cover that doesn't correspond with my engine. I can't see anything on the valve cover or head that looks like a timing mark.

There is a mark on the crankshaft sprocket which looks as though it should be at the bottom for TDC but anybody know where the mark on the camshaft sprocket should line up?

I have done loads of searches but can't find anything for this engine (E7JC634 8v 1.4l).
Any help appreciated, I'd like to get this back on the road for my boy.

Many thanks
Martin

Clio 1.4s
Just thought I would add some pics which illustrate the point:

End of valve cover with no timing mark:

IMG_0001.JPG

Camshaft sprocket timing mark:

IMG_0002.JPG

Timing belt with stripped teeth:

IMG_0003.JPG