ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wandering steering, clunk when turning.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I noticed yesterday when driving my 182 doesn't stay in a straight line, it's as if the steering wheel is constantly switching left and right and it's accentuated when going faster.

Also in the car park for asda I turned half full lock and noticed it clunked a few times when driving like this.

Any ideas guys? Thanks

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I'm currently looking to replace m whole sub-frame because of the same fault.

Mine does my head in, its particularly bad under braking, follows the road left and right (weirdly worse with no engine braking ie: between gears shifting down for the corner)

Would be great to hear off others who have had and fixed this.

I also have the same problem, got used to it now lol.

Changed -:

Front and rear shocks
Top mounts
Arb bushes
wishbones
4 new tyres.

Only things left to do on my refresh is rack bushes, inner tie rods and tie rod ends.

Hopefully that will diminish it.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Is there not some kind of test I can do to find the problem as I don't really want to be replacing everything one by one.

Could it just be the tracking that is out? The clunking when turning seems to have gone which is weird.

When the above symptoms start on an RS megane the hub bearing has gone, have you looked at that?

My 172 clonks too but I know my front ARB bushes are peppered so I'll just powerflex them ASAP.

Clio 182 Trophy
I have had a full front end refresh (track rod ends and inners, rack mounts, new polybushed arb mounts, new wishbones/ball joints) and the car steering still seems to have a mind of its own on even ground and tramline quite badly (the tracking has been done twice). Starting to think its just how these cars are as on a smooth track it feels great. Running federal 595 rsr tyres so I doubt these help tramlining, also got about 2 deg negative camber using the bolts.