ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warm hatch options? And what to do.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Swift Sport then surely?

- Japanese build quality
- Not bad looking
- Decent tax/economy/insurance
- Great fun to drive
- Reasonably fast
- Within budget

E36 M3. 182
From that list, id go for the Zetec S, or the ST if insurance can stretch. Ive driven a few on that shape fiesta (both base models) and they were a nice drive. A mate had an ST foe a while and the only fault he had with it wasnt great for motorway cruising, pulling about 4k RPM at 70 IIRC, not great for fuel.....

Meg 300Cup
We can narrow it down further then.

Take the Yaris out the picture, the GTi/Rallye and the Clio/Clio Dci.

Getting there.

I like it, close now, But how the f**k did that ignis keep up with the Clio 197/200?

Edit: Why did you have to say the Civic Type S, i love that thing, god damn it lol

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Clio wasn't been driven quick - simple as that.

Ignis would go on my list too. Autocar did A thing on them once against the C2 GT... Both came out VERY similar. 8.7 to 60 too.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
How much you got to spend in total? £5k with or without insurance?

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I like it, close now, But how the f**k did that ignis keep up with the Clio 197/200?

...Because they're not as slow as people think! Mine had coilovers and filter with the rear seats and spare wheel removed, it kept up with Type-R's and Clio Sports up to around 60-70mph no problem. Oh and the Clio 200 was being driven by Warren off here, and he wasn't exactly going slow.

Meg 300Cup
How much you got to spend in total? £5k with or without insurance?

It would be nice if it was all in for 5k but if its more i dont mind.

Im looking at it as, atleast 2k for my car atm (49k 53 plate Dynamique), got 3k in the bank right now for one and then can add more if its one of the newer cars (save another 600 every month)

And surely most of the cars on the narrowed down list could keep up with the ignis then

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
It would be nice if it was all in for 5k but if its more i dont mind.

Im looking at it as, atleast 2k for my car atm (49k 53 plate Dynamique), got 3k in the bank right now for one and then can add more if its one of the newer cars (save another 600 every month)

You are sorted then really - You'll have loads of good motors out there to chose from.

Try a Fiesta ZS though - you'll enjoy it. Then buy her minter lol.

Renault Clio RS182
I drove a fiesta st and a focus st170 back to back a few years ago and the focus pulled alot better with the extra 20 horses, more room for golf clubs too ;)

F56 MINI Cooper S
If you can afford the ST.

Said it once or maybe twice... Zetec ZS Jordi will tell you all them about them.

what jay said really.

ZETEC S MK6, nothing comes close listed in this thread, may be cheaper but the fiesta is miles ahead in every department. not ideal on fuel is the only drawback. mines on 76k now and has been brilliant, cost me nothing apart from wear and tear (tyres, discs and pads etc).

Meg 300Cup
what jay said really.

ZETEC S MK6, nothing comes close listed in this thread, may be cheaper but the fiesta is miles ahead in every department. not ideal on fuel is the only drawback. mines on 76k now and has been brilliant, cost me nothing apart from wear and tear (tyres, discs and pads etc).

Does it feel quick? the only thing on my mind is that going by stats its a fair bit slower than the rest

F56 MINI Cooper S
quick compared to what? I come from a 1.2 clio 2002 to the 1.6 ZS and its alot more nippyer, its handles brilliant just like its on rails (mines lowered 45mm), interior is 100x better, gearbox is amazing, driving any other small hatch feels cack compared to my Fiesta in terms of the feel from the gearbox. its not fast but its certainly got enough power to have fun in. Would deffo reccommend one, I've covered 60k in 18 months in mine, and like I say it hasnt missed a beat.

F56 MINI Cooper S
heres a pic of mine

Meetpics4.jpg

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Missus's, had it from new, 4 years and 6 months old. 12k on clocks. Tech Pack too.

Meg 300Cup
What would have to be dont to it to bring it upto speed with the C2 because i think i would be happier buying a ford than a citroen, i know the fiesta isnt exactly slow but its the slowest of the bunch.

E36 M3. 182
Fiestas gotta be better put together than the C2, surely?? and from a quick look at PH, the interiors nicer....

E36 M3. 182
That's what swayed here - different classes of Interior.

I must admit im a fan of the ford range of that vintage, the mondeo and focus was good too, definately nicer places to be than their vauxhall or french equivalents..... IMO, of course.

M16a
Here's my 2 pence worth,

I was in the same situation as you a few months back.

Fiesta ST/ZS / Twingo 133 / Swift Sport / Panda 100 / Colt CZT

For me, I wanted a comfy cruiser as I do a 55 mile commute per day with decent looks, good mpg and a good bit of power (from my 1.2)

I test drove all of the above, and for me personally the best "fun" cars were the swift sport & the twingo.

I couldn't live with the interior of the twingo and the seats didn't suit me at all (I have a dodgy back).

Panda was a hoot to drive, and although it had all the toys, again I just couldn't get along with it somehow.

I opted for the Swift, and tbh I absolutely love it. It's not the fastest car in the world, but it's an absolute joy to drive when the mood takes you.
I also think it looks the best/on par with the Fezza, and I get 40mpg out of it with mixtures of driving.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

Hope this helps a little..

if you want practicality and fun, then i would definatly go this route! I had the pre FR Seat Ibiza tdi sport (130) which was cheaper to insure than the vrs (group 7 i think) because it lacked the badges, but in my opinion was a nicer looking car. Physically a slightly bigger car than some of the others being mentioned, tuning options are endless; huge 312mm brakes off other cars in VAG range bolt straight on (ish), decent revo remap takes power to about 180bhp etc etc and best of all you won't have things dropping off every 2 minutes, and if i remember correctly i was still getting about 40mpg driving with a heavy right foot

What this man said.
Mate of mine had one with a map and a few other little mods, was about 185bhp iirc and was bloody quick. Same engine as ibiza FR and fabia VRS but doesn't look as sporty so insurance was much cheaper. Did low 40s round town and mid-high 50s on a run. not bad for how fast it was.

Last edited: